↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma cutting out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jed

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Cairns Blue
Puma cutting out
My puma 2007 has started to cut out from when I get to a roundabout and try to pull away, the engine dies to just about ticking over with my foot flat down but nothing happens, I have to turn ignition off and then restart which it has no problem in doing but then will do it again a bit later. When idling its jumping up and down and then cuts out and once had the engine light come on.there has been no codes that I know of. Any help please
Post #462064 10th Oct 2015 3:06pm
hornet

I read about the same behaviour. It turned out that pressure relief valve (mounted at the end of the rail) broke to pieces. Control is very easy. It must be one part (LR019009). More than one: broken and may be responsible for the engine idle you are describing....

Post #462075 10th Oct 2015 3:54pm
Jed

Thanks for replying, I will give this a try and let you know
Post #462096 10th Oct 2015 6:05pm
Lorryman100

VCV valve, search for VCV valve on here, loads of posts. Thumbs Up
Post #462097 10th Oct 2015 6:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jed

Thanks Lorryman
Post #462201 11th Oct 2015 6:41am
Jed

I took out the pressure relief valve and it didn't seem broken , there was a spring and a couple of other bits in there but I can't see how it could break. The engine light has now come back on and now it doesn't seem to have the power as if the turbo is not working, but it's not dying any more and starts ok, any ideas
Post #462702 12th Oct 2015 9:12pm
Coolcamper55

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have been experiencing the same and after trawling thro the forum, I have
Replaced the VCV and had it programmed
Replaced the EGR
Replaced the MAF
Replaced the MAP
Replaced the CPS

I thought it had cured but sadly not. Started looking at the electrical side now. Main relay seems a good place to start. Any advice would be most welcome

Tommy Tommy

110 XS TDCi
Post #478849 3rd Dec 2015 8:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Classic VCV symptoms. Any DTCs to go with it?
Post #478922 3rd Dec 2015 11:38pm
dorsetsmith

(LR009837 part no. VCV and link to replacement

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...VCV%20.pdf
Post #478972 4th Dec 2015 9:18am
AlanH

Australia 
I had the VCV thing changed recently in an attempt to stop the surging and engine nearly cutting out when foot off the throttle when the vehicle is cold.
Reprogramming done as well but hasn't made any difference at all. Engine rattles less but I'm worried that this may result in a stop and no restart when I'm in remote parts.
I must admit that this is making me a bit paranoid and I keep finding yet more rattles etc.
"The end is nigh" as the religious nutters used to say.... and in my case this means my association with Landies or Deafeners at least.
AlanH.
Post #478976 4th Dec 2015 9:22am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi,

sorry if this is of no help but I find problems most notable when the engine was under low load ie trying to blip the engine in between gear changes and I believe it was due to air getting into the fuel.

for me I believe it was nothing more than the fuel filter having not been fitted correctly / fully. Assuming the fuel filter is fitted correctly could air be getting in elsewhere?

I assume there was no evidence of fuel leaking for me due to low pressure however I suspect there is a suction / negative pressure from the fuel pump up front and hence pulling air into the fuel?

good luck.

AlanH - just a though re rattles. I was concerned recently that the engine was starting to rattle which was noted as the temps here started to drop a little and thought the glow plugs or injectors were to blame....turns out it was the turbo heat shield bracked had become loose again. hope yours is a simple fix too. keep the faith.
Post #478978 4th Dec 2015 9:38am
leonski

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Hi Sorry to jump on this post, but our 90 is also suffering from similar symptoms!

At first I thought it could be the turbo actuator sticking, as the vehicle has had total power loss and flagged up 'PO299 turbo under boost' error. But after disconnecting the arm on the actuator and giving it a manual pull and push I'm not sure, there is a little resistance at first but then it moves freely and as I'm not turbo expert I'm not sure if it is either the turbo or the actuator!
The strange thing is it can go a week before repeating the power loss and now all I have to do is stop, turn the engine off, then on again and it is managing to reset itself.
We have checked all the wiring from all the turbo sensors and it appears to be fine.

When it stops raining I will now go and check the VCV thingy. You have to hate those invisible faults, I wish something would either melt snap or implode so you could visibly see what was wrong!
Post #479331 5th Dec 2015 1:31pm
AlanH

Australia 
The thing used to be at it's worst in cold Winter mornings..... Perth WA cold (about 10C) not UK cold. Very Happy Had the vcv valve changed and now it's getting much worse and nearly stopped completely this morning. This only happens on the short run I do to get the paper in the morning....I go a long way round but the total run is only about 3 kay.
We've got a remote trip planned for early new year but I think I'll call it off and get rid of it. I really can't be bothered any longer.
"Keep the faith"? None left I'm afraid.
AlanH.
Post #481230 11th Dec 2015 9:39am
Treebeard

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
We had a similar problem on a 2007 2.4 tdci. Turned out to be the fuel injection pump gradually breaking down and releasing bits of swarf which jammed the VCV. New OE fuel injection pump (surprisingly inexpensive) and job's a goodun. I found loads of stuff about this on transit van forums.
Post #481581 12th Dec 2015 6:07pm
AlanH

Australia 
Thanks Treebeard. Here in Oz I'd change your "surprisingly inexpensive" to bloody expensive as is the case with virtually all other stuff for Landies here.
I'm going to change the pressure relief valve and see what that does and will report back.
AlanH.
Post #482663 16th Dec 2015 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>