↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Difference between Jeep & Defender owners!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
He was not parking it, he was just testing the 4 wheel drive off road and found it to be a 2 wheel drive model Rolling with laughter
Post #664729 16th Nov 2017 9:11am
dorsetsmith

On mobile phone driving, on school run, in London and very close to killing three kids now band from driving
Post #664731 16th Nov 2017 9:32am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
The main reason people overland in a defender is the payload capacity, a 90/110/130 in standard trim is designed to have a much higher payload and towing capability.

It's designed from the ground up that way from the axles to the roof, I mean you can get a Jeep to that level with enough cash but you could say the same for any good 4x4.

I will say pretty much all the Rubicons are a beast out of the box offroad, they still can only carry 400KG and tow about 2000KG. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #664740 16th Nov 2017 10:54am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Ryderoo wrote:

What I do now is park at the most distant part of the car park where no one parks, but I guarantee you when you return to your vehicle there will be another parked next to you, but all the other spaces free Shocked Shocked

yes - it will be a defender driver observing the parking rules requirement !! Rolling with laughter Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #664742 16th Nov 2017 11:03am
Procta

United Kingdom 
legin wrote:
Procta "My dad put his jeep into a house," Pictures please

sorry pal, it was 9 years ago. All photos have been long deleted when he got shot. He thought I was wrong about tyres but he sharp learned I was right.
How it happened, he was coming back from work, and we had a some heavy rain the night before. Anyway he had flashed some fella out onto the road, and proceeded on as normal. Chances were he had put his toe down a little, as he had a right habit of doing that. Anyway the jeep got unsettled going up the bank, yes going up hill. My dad said the backend started to snake on him, and then the front end just let go. The on coming car saw what was going on and put his toe down to avoid a head on. Once the front end let go, my dad was a passenger, he managed not to hit a lamp post and a bus stop, climbed a mini hill and then hit the front of a house that was waiting to be demolished. The driver side of the jeep took the impact as he sort of hit it at an angle.
After wards he googled the tyres that were on the jeep, and found that they were for 80% off road and 20% for road use. So with the rain we had the tyres were working at 10%. The most gut wrenching thing was my dad had only had the thing 3 weeks if that. So he was still finding his feet with it. I think it came to under 3k to fix the jeep, he changed the tyres before he drove it again. Sadly right up to the day he got shot, he never trusted it.
It was a nice motor mind, and very lux compared to the defender, and nice to drive. The thing that pushed my parents over the edge with it, was the price of parts, poor dealer support. The jeep started to cut out on road trips, sad thing was no garages could read it to find out what the story was, not even the AA either. It was word of mouth from a car tuner that said what the problem was. The crank sensor was failing making the thing cut out, after a few miles. He replaced the cam sensor too, as that was another problem that could cause it. Thing was he had to wait 5 weeks for these two sensors, from Jeep. Cost £200! that year my dad said right that's it, it goes! So after xmas was out of the way, my parents made the move and switched. They had been looking at defenders for couple of years and toyed with the idea, before fixing the jeeps, cutting out issue. He spent a Censored 1000 on suspension for it that year too, and never got the use out of it.
Looking back I think they regretted buying the jeep, due to the hassle it gave them, My dad said he should have gone defender in the 1st place. That way you know where you stand with them and you can get the parts for them with out any trouble at all. If the dealer support was better and the parts were not a nightmare, he may have still had it now. All went tits up though when Fiat took them over. His was the jeep liberty, not the grand model. But then again I always used to see the grand models in scrap yards, with out Censored all damage etc. Now I know why, poor support. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #664770 16th Nov 2017 1:07pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Without wanting to sound rude there seems a altogether bigger story in there ?
Post #664826 16th Nov 2017 5:54pm
Grouse

Post deleted !!!! Hell I hadn't read the posts above - just seen them Embarassed

Last edited by Grouse on 16th Nov 2017 10:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #664840 16th Nov 2017 6:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Procta wrote:
... All photos have been long deleted when he got shot...
... Sadly right up to the day he got shot ....

Your Dad was shot! Shocked That's terrible, my condolences. Did they catch whoever did it?
Post #664855 16th Nov 2017 7:35pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
One thing I would say about the cherokee is that it feels quite big and lumbering until it doesn't and then it's illegal . What I mean is that if you drive it with a bit of decorum it is off the turbo and essentially dead, give it the beans though and whilst it feels much more lively it is also going past the speed limit at quite a rate of knots. However give it a trailer to tow and it suddenly makes perfect sense and is entirely a pleasure to drive. Compared to the defender though at least the cherokee actually stops being a slug if you want it to.the defender doesn't know how to be any other. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #664903 16th Nov 2017 9:22pm
Slideywindows

England 
Ryderoo wrote:

What I do now is park at the most distant part of the car park where no one parks, but I guarantee you when you return to your vehicle there will be another parked next to you, but all the other spaces free Shocked Shocked

That ^ never happens to me.

For some reason everybody seems to want to avoid parking their car near to my Land Rover.

Dunno why....

Click image to enlarge
Post #664934 16th Nov 2017 10:19pm
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
I would be proud to park next to your truck Slidey
Wink ****CENSORED****
Post #665120 17th Nov 2017 5:37pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Procta,
Your North East colloquialisms are probably being misinterpreted on an forum with UK wide and international members.
I think (hope) your father is alive and well. Thumbs Up

For the benefit any puzzled readers,
Got shot = Got rid of = he no longer possesses.
IE, he no longer has the Jeep.
Post #665201 17th Nov 2017 10:24pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Slideywindows wrote:
Ryderoo wrote:

That ^ never happens to me.

For some reason everybody seems to want to avoid parking their car near to my Land Rover.

Dunno why....

Click image to enlarge

Is it because you park on pavements in North Essex? Whistle 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #665203 17th Nov 2017 10:32pm
Slideywindows

England 
That's not a pavement.

I should know, I grew up in that village before cars were invented! Shocked
Post #665204 17th Nov 2017 10:37pm
mk1collector