↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > which way to go - an LS3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
which way to go - an LS3
IF. I were contemplating an LS3 conversation which would be the best route.

I love the idea of a manual 6sp ls3 conversion but there's so many things to consider - not least the financials.
there's various options I'm considering and I'd really like to hear of pro's / con's from you all. basically my lines of thought are below;

1. the obvious and perhaps simplest option would be to pull my engine / box out and replace as necessary. sell on my engine and box. do a bit of a strip down and rebuilt and improve generally at the same time.

2. buy another defender do above and sell mine at the end of the build - don't car so much for this idea (like the idea of keeping mine).

3. buy a much old defender that's in great need of some work including engine / box and would really justify the strip down. If it's a pre 1985 (?) model it might well be worth some really good money in the states and therefore a bit of a money spinner creating some extra cash to help fund my own rebuild?

thoughts much appreciated.
Post #683068 31st Jan 2018 8:53am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
They're only worth some money in the States if they're in original condition. Replacement engine and gearbox will preclude it from being imported. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #683075 31st Jan 2018 9:19am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Or buy a defender with a knackered engine and gearbox, fit your current engine and gearbox to said defender to use whilst the engine swap happens on yours. Then sell second defender for profit as it now works and be left with LS3 engined defender.

Also ask Ian about the Cyote Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #683078 31st Jan 2018 9:43am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
They're only worth some money in the States if they're in original condition. Replacement engine and gearbox will preclude it from being imported.

interesting. I assumed that so long as it was based on an old one it would be ok.

thanks Grafty. I think Ian mentioned the coyote but if I'm not mistaken it's a more complex engine and not necessarily anymore powerful and yet more expensive (assuming I'm not mixing it up with a different engine).

loving this;

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=top+h...ORM=VDRVRV
Post #683253 31st Jan 2018 9:19pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
The LS3 is the perfect engine, large capacity, lazy engine, capable of producing any amount of power you want.
Personally, I'd reckon around 450HP would be all you'd ever need, you'd also have around 600NM torque.
Transmission?...IMHO the GM 6 speed auto would be ideal, smooth, reliable, you can re program it to do anything you want. I don't know much about off roading, so I can't speak for that aspect.
Anyway, I reckon that if your Defender is a good one, & you don't want to sell it, then the combination of an LS3 & 6 speed auto would be perfect.
Of course it's not just the engine & trans,...there's brakes, suspension, exhaust, electrics,....the big secret is to find someone who knows what they're doing & can do the job right, otherwise you could end up with an undriveable pig.
Pickles.
Post #683281 31st Jan 2018 10:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Caterham wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
They're only worth some money in the States if they're in original condition. Replacement engine and gearbox will preclude it from being imported.

interesting. I assumed that so long as it was based on an old one it would be ok.

Unfortunately not. There were some well documented cases last year where US customs had some Defenders crushed on import as they contravened the originality rules. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #683299 31st Jan 2018 10:57pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
dont bother buy a fast car for going fast, and keep them both DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #683300 31st Jan 2018 11:03pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I think the Coyote is recommended if you go manual as it is higher/freer revving. I'm with Caterham, Not a fan of autos. My wife's Audi has all the paddles, and S-tronic gubbins and I just don't like it as much as a manual. It's her car, only 230bhp and she likes it, fine. But if I ever had a V8 my preferred option would be an uprated six speed box, loads of revs, loads of torque, loads of noise. Frankly where I live though I think it would spend most of its time in 3rd. That's where autos come unstuck, changing up or down too quickly. Come through a hairpin in third, bury the foot in the carpet, use the torque to surge up the 300m to the next bend, anchors, turn in, start again. Autos would be all over the place. Just my opinion. But I have been interested by the difference between the Coyote and LS3 if I go down this route. Wonder how JLR's V8 would fare? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #683334 1st Feb 2018 7:33am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
LR90XS2011 wrote:
dont bother buy a fast car for going fast, and keep them both

Exactly. Some of these LS swaps cost £20k+ theres are 1000s of fast cars to be had for less than the conversion. Plus unless you go for a full road biased set up (which in a fender is silly imo) then you wont be able to put the power down anywhere but a straight line.
Post #683352 1st Feb 2018 9:21am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
I think the Coyote is recommended if you go manual as it is higher/freer revving. I'm with Caterham, Not a fan of autos. My wife's Audi has all the paddles, and S-tronic gubbins and I just don't like it as much as a manual. It's her car, only 230bhp and she likes it, fine. But if I ever had a V8 my preferred option would be an uprated six speed box, loads of revs, loads of torque, loads of noise. Frankly where I live though I think it would spend most of its time in 3rd. That's where autos come unstuck, changing up or down too quickly. Come through a hairpin in third, bury the foot in the carpet, use the torque to surge up the 300m to the next bend, anchors, turn in, start again. Autos would be all over the place. Just my opinion. But I have been interested by the difference between the Coyote and LS3 if I go down this route. Wonder how JLR's V8 would fare?

The GM 6 speed auto can run in manual mode if you like, it can also use paddle shifters,...but good luck with the engineering of paddle shifters into a Defender.
There are a couple of GM 6 speed autos you can use, and they can both be used in manual mode, wanna leave ém in 2nd, 3rd, or whetever, ya can do that,...no gear changes unless you change ém,.....which you can do,.....manually,....wanna change up or down, when ya want to, manually, ya can do that too.
Just bought a supercharged HSV Commodore myself, went for an auto, like mostly everyone else, they accelerate quicker than a manual, change gears quicker, & ya can use ém in manual mode if you like. Can't see where a manual would be superior.
Pickles.
Post #683355 1st Feb 2018 9:53am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Interesting Pickles, thanks for letting me know. The other issue, if I ever go down the V8 route, is the cost of the auto refit. Seems to be approx £5k more. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #683527 1st Feb 2018 10:15pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
LR90XS2011 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. If you want to go fast then a Defender doesn't really fit the bill. Get real. If you must have a V8 Defender or Series then go and buy an original, it'll keep its value a lot better than a butcher job. Whistle Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #683535 1st Feb 2018 10:38pm
Grouse

bankz5152 wrote:
LR90XS2011 wrote:

Exactly. Some of these LS swaps cost £20k+ theres are 1000s of fast cars to be had for less than the conversion. Plus unless you go for a full road biased set up (which in a fender is silly imo) then you wont be able to put the power down anywhere but a straight line.

I had a quote in the region of £34k!
Post #683542 1st Feb 2018 10:50pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I like an auto, lazy if I want, or I shift it like a manual if I need to.

Even looking at Top Hats builds, I'd still go auto, but I don't want push buttons.
Post #683555 1st Feb 2018 11:16pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Caterham wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

Unfortunately not. There were some well documented cases last year where US customs had some Defenders crushed on import as they contravened the originality rules.

The engine and transmission don’t have to be the original ones. As long as they were replaced with an engine/trans that was available for that model you’ll be fine on importing to US.

Rules out an LS3 for importing though, although I’m not sure why you’d convert it to an ls3 in the UK, and then import it to a place where you can easily pick up an ls3 and full install kit for $5-6K. Wink
Post #683559 1st Feb 2018 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>