↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hello from a Newbie - Am I mad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hello from a Newbie - Am I mad?
Hi all,

My first post on here after much lurking and reading! I realise I'm hardly going to get an unbiased opinion in here, but (and hope I don't bore you all by waffling on)...

I've been contemplating replacing my current car (a VW Golf R32) for some time. It's a great car and pretty much 100% reliable, fast, comfortable and well built.

BUT

It's not big enough for carting all the stuff I need for work, it's constantly a tip thanks to my 4-year old son, and it's pants in snow and ice (despite being AWD). This was the view towards where I live for 2-3 weeks earlier this year (they don't clear or grit the roads)

Luckily I had an old Chevy van with AWD and General Grabber AT2s (great tyre) which got me out of trouble, but has not much ground clearance.

Have been toying with the idea of a Puma for a while, having sat in a friend's one and being impressed with the updated cabin and lower noise.

Thing is, while my heart says YES, my head says NO. I do about 15-20k miles a year, mostly on B roads and fast A roads. Is a 110 going to annoy me round twisty lanes? IS the lack of speed going to frustrate? I do live in a rural area, not the city.

I went for a test drive this week of a 110 XS Utility, and whilst it was nice, was struck by how much slower it was than the 90 pick up (Also a TD4) I tried a few months ago.

Unfortunately, I followed this up with a drive in a Discovery 4! It's smooth, refined, comfortable, cleverly designed, and seems well put together. But, it's also a bit over my upper budget, and since I've told my staff that we are all needing to tighten our belts, and despite the fact that I'm due a replacement car (mine's done a lto fo miles in 4 years), the Discovery seems a bit too flash, too expensive-looking. Ideally I would wait a year or so, until the prices have dropped a bit, and the cars don't look so shiny! Rolling Eyes

So, if I went for the 110 as an everyday work and family car, is it going to be too 'raw' for me? Or the wife and kids? Before you accuse me of being soft, I did own a Series II and a Lightweight in a previous life, so I've got nothing against basic (indeed I own a 50 year old race car). Smile

Just want an honest opinion on the 110's suitability as everyday civilised-ish transport.

Assuming I did get one, I'd probably fit mudrails and noise deadening kit as priorities (as well as waxoyl!).

Cheers, and thanks for 'having' me. Bow down

James
Post #42713 15th Oct 2010 9:19pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Save up lad... the D4 is light years ahead of the Defender and the running gear of the Defender is more akin to a Lada Niva and the D4 is a Rolls-Royce with 4WD. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #42715 15th Oct 2010 9:37pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
in July i posted ...."you lot are getting me worried" - might be worth a read

link : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3655.html?highlight=

i bought one
i fitted mud rails
i think the torque is great and plenty fast enough, it is a Defender !
cruises well at the legal limit, pretty quick elsewhere. and i have driven/had loads of very powerful cars of 200+ bhp
i changes the lo-fi to hi-fi
i will be fitting ATs
i have not regretted a single moment BM52
Post #42716 15th Oct 2010 9:41pm
szracer

Thanks for the divergent opinions, lads - They perfectly mirror my own thoughts.... Laughing

Don't know how I missed your thread, BM52 - I've been reading most of the posts going back a few months.

I guess, if all else fails and I don't like it, since the one I'm looking at is 3 months old, and if I kept it for, say, 6 months, I'd probably lose a lot less money than, say, an RS4 (which I owned for all of 4 months in 2007 - Got it just as the credit crunch hit, and didn't seem sensible to have that much money tied up in a car then, but lost a shedload!).

I think it may come down to a coin-toss at this rate!

J
Post #42717 15th Oct 2010 9:58pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Do the coin-toss, and when you feel disappointed that it's landed on the Discovery buy a Defender. If the one you buy is slower than the 90 Pick Up (my personal favourite) then either of the site sponsors at Alive Tuning or BAS will sort you out. Thumbs Up Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #42719 15th Oct 2010 10:32pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I drive a 110 CSW Td5 (not puma), OK, it's no evo10 (or X in Roman speak!) but with an ecu tune it fair flies, and doesn't handle too bad either.

Remember, you're (or migh be) driving something akin to a small van/truck, not a car, so don't expect the handling to be the same; on the other hand you can pretty much drive anywhere, over anything, in all weathers, and carrying various loads of kids/rubbish/tools/wood/etc /etc, and you'll not be in some naff euro-crate either Whistle Whistle

defender everytime!!!
Post #42722 15th Oct 2010 10:48pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
diesel_jim wrote:
Remember, you're (or migh be) driving something akin to a small van/truck, not a car, so don't expect the handling to be the same; on the other hand you can pretty much drive anywhere, over anything, in all weathers, and carrying various loads of kids/rubbish/tools/wood/etc /etc, and you'll not be in some naff euro-crate either Whistle Whistle

defender everytime!!!

well said Bow down BM52
Post #42724 15th Oct 2010 11:04pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi szracer,

I drive a 110 XS Utility which I picked up in september, before that I owned a 110 XS double cab Td5 for 2 years. I have only owned defenders since I have lived in Scotland of the last 2 1/2 years, I have seen in that short space of time that they are defenatly worth it.

The last two winter that we've had in the far north east have been fantastic and I was the only person in the office that could always make it into work. The other great thing is that with the high ground clearence and high air intake I've been the only one (a few other landys have followed) able to still use the flodded back roads.

Now as a family car I can't help you much, I don't have kids. I do however know that before I had the puma I would take any visitors out in a disco 1 (later a 2 when SWMBO parked the 1 in a tree this winter), now I have he puma we able to take visitors out in the defender. With the 110 having a longer wheelbase it doesn't bounce as much as the 90.

As for work, I live in the country and work in the town and on average spend an hour or more cummuting covering about 150-200 miles a week just driving to work. Now as parking at the office is crap the defender allows me to park where ever I want.

I haven't made any mods to the 110 yet and find driving it fantastic, I think the mud rails would be good as I'm 6ft2 and a little more space would be good.

Hope this helps

Russell Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #42729 16th Oct 2010 10:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
BigRuss wrote:

The last two winter that we've had in the far north east have been fantastic and I was the only person in the office that could always make it into work.

Hmmm... this sounds like a reason not to own one! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #42730 16th Oct 2010 12:10pm
rick

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Welcome.

I own a 110 and a Range Rover Sport. In the past I've owned SAABs, Mercs, Hondas and a Range Rover and so I totally understand where you're coming from. If you're prepared to accept some quirks and you don't mind the utilitarian nature of the 110 (it's definitely truck-like), not to mention having to justify your purchase to slightly bewildered friends, you should follow your heart and go for it as the downside is pretty limited (you could easily resell it if necessary).

I use my 110 mainly in the city and it's fine. I've also just driven 4000kms across northern Australia with my wife and two young children and (a) the vehicle didn't skip a beat (now at 30000 ams with no problems) and (b) it was sufficiently comfortable and roomy for all. And if you care, I am constantly getting admiring looks from those that I suspect would love to own a Defender but perhaps let convention/fear get in the way.

The 110 continues to be the most uniquely enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. Perhaps you'd be different, but the 110 has this strange way of getting into your blood, hence the loyal and slightly obsessive fan club out there.

Good luck,
Rick

Good luck,
Rick. 1998 RR HSE
2007 RRS TDV6
2008 Defender 110
2015 Discovery Sport
Post #42736 16th Oct 2010 3:47pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Family car for 12 years was a 200 tdi 110 and it was-still is- great. Will do anything, anytime in whatever weather you want. Now the main car is a Puma 110. Absolutely stunning as a family car. Buckets of space,a joy to drive with no downside as far as we are concerned. Never had or never wanted a "normal" type family car. Why would I when I can have a Defender.Now we have two. I am relegated to the 200 tdi when not on family duty. You have one shot at this life. Don't muck it up by buying some mainstream "family" box on wheels. If you do, every time you meet a Defender on the road you will curse yourself for not having the courage to go that one step further and join us merry if somewhat odd Defender owners. Todays Puma is such a wonderful comfortable awe inspiring thing to drive you will not want to get out. Can't comment on the D4 as I have never driven one-why would I want to when I have a Defender(or two) to drive instead. Go on take that step-you know you really want to. Puma Defender 110 seven seat-THE FAMILY CAR and so much more. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #42739 16th Oct 2010 4:24pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
diesel_jim wrote:
BigRuss wrote:

The last two winter that we've had in the far north east have been fantastic and I was the only person in the office that could always make it into work.

Hmmm... this sounds like a reason not to own one! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

For a staffie - yes

But on the contractor front, no work no money! Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #42742 16th Oct 2010 5:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
szracer

Thanks, BigRuss, Rick and Spudfan for the more than detailed replies (and for taking the time to write them!) and the reassurance!

Kind of tallies with the mental picture I've formed of the Puma, even from my brief test drives. In fact the first few replies gave me the courage of my convictions...!

Believe it or not, I actually emailed my LR dealer last night to basically 'green light' me getting the Puma! Smile

However, this morning, I emailed him to say hang on.

The reason (and this may seem silly, but not trivial for me)?

My wife (who has been less than sympathetic of my 'need' for a Defender) pointed out that the car park we use for work, at which we get free subsidised parking, and is next door to work, has a height limit of......2.0m! Big Cry Plus, most of the places we go to do our shopping have the same height limit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 110 2.03m high?

Now, it seems a crying shame to not get a Defender for this reason, but I can't think of a solution, short of cutting a couple of coils off the suspension! I know JE do a handling kit for mixed on/off road - Does this lower the car at all?

Otherwise I'm stumped.
Big Cry

James
Post #42756 16th Oct 2010 9:19pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Car parks should not be the hurdle. There must be an alternative. True, we have to avoid certain carparks but once you have an alternative... sorted.

I've just bought a Brownchurch roof rack and now if i see a height barrier i just turn around without looking at the figures.

As a divorce lawyer myself, I suggest that if your Mrs isn't keen on the Defender, divorce her.
Post #42758 16th Oct 2010 9:26pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Borrow one from a dealer and do a test drive under the maximum height sign at the car-park (slowly). Coincidentally my biggest fear was not wanting to lose my free parking at the local multistory, but mine fitted in absolutely fine (same 2m limit), and I've seen a couple 110 Station Wagons in there too. That said, with the turning circle getting it up to the higher floors can be entertaining. Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #42761 16th Oct 2010 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>