↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Hand Throttle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TheLastMaverick

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Hand Throttle
I have done a search and only come up with very old posts, are there any options for Fast Idle or Hand Throttle for the TD5?

If not I will design and build my own. just thought if there was a commercial option at a reasonable price It may save me some time.

I want a fast idle to warm the engine but also a hand throttle, any options out there?

Mike
Post #881046 26th Jan 2021 2:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There don't seem to be, other than the factory fitted option (which cost well over £2k) plus one or two aftermarket options used on utility vehicles.

The Puma, and I think the TD5, also don't allow the engine to run at a sustained fast idle by means of the throttle pedal alone. On the Puma you can demonstrate this by raising the engine speed with the vehicle stationary by pressing the pedal, whereupon you will find that after a few seconds it drops back to tickover as part of its "faulty pedal management strategy". This means that bumping up the tickover speed by spoofing a pedal input won't work. I can't remember if the Td5 is the same, I think it is.

If you do build something I'd be interested to know how you get on.
Post #881050 26th Jan 2021 2:12pm
TheLastMaverick

Hi Blackwolf,

Thank you for your input, I know of the factory option, but as far as I can see it was only ever an option on a new TD5, the aftermarket on the utilities I have not seen one for sale in a long time and usually have parts and wiring missing!

As far as I can tell the TD5 does not have the same issue as the Puma with regards to the Rickover limit, I have sat holding my TD5 on higher revs for quite some time testing this very thing.

I think I will make a start on this, not too complicated on the TD5 I’m hoping.

Thanks again,
Mike
Post #881055 26th Jan 2021 2:38pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I had a think about this a little while ago for my own TD5. I believe that you could implement it fairly simply as a static raised rev point (rather than a variable hand throttle). It would simply require a switchover between the original throttle pedal and a fairly simple voltage divider set which provides the ECU with the three voltages corresponding to a chosen throttle position.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement a variable 'hand' throttle with a microcontroller and DACs though.

Cheers,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #881062 26th Jan 2021 3:01pm
blackwolf

TheLastMaverick wrote:
... As far as I can tell the TD5 does not have the same issue as the Puma with regards to the Rickover limit, I have sat holding my TD5 on higher revs for quite some time testing this very thing. ...

That would certainly make it much easier.

I have always had a suspicion that the factory option included an ECU with different programming, but I have no evidence to support this.
Post #881066 26th Jan 2021 3:12pm
TheLastMaverick

If you apply the throttle on a Puma and rather than hold a set revs you allow them to increase and fall slightly, does the ecu still override this?
Post #881076 26th Jan 2021 3:27pm
TheLastMaverick

rallysteve wrote:

It shouldn't be too hard to implement a variable 'hand' throttle with a microcontroller and DACs though.

Yes Steve I think this needs to be done with a Microcontroller, I have most of the parts in my kit so I will put together a prototype.
Post #881079 26th Jan 2021 3:31pm
blackwolf

TheLastMaverick wrote:
If you apply the throttle on a Puma and rather than hold a set revs you allow them to increase and fall slightly, does the ecu still override this?

On my Defender at least it is hard to answer this question definitively. If you release the pedal and press it again, you can increase the revs until the next time the ECU shuts them down again. If you jiggle the pedal very slightly, for example increase the pressure as the revs autonomously drop off, you seem to get some very strange and totally unpredictable results with significant fluctuations.

The "faulty pedal management strategy" is quite intrusive on the Puma. Another tiresome effect is that if you press the brake pedal whilst driving, ie you have both the throttle and brake pedals pressed, the ECU will again determine that you are trying to stop with a faulty throttle pedal. I can see the sense in this and have no doubt that it is normal for drive-by-wire throttles, but it's a nuisance if you're trying to dry your brakes.
Post #881093 26th Jan 2021 4:11pm
TheLastMaverick

A brake drying override sounds like an entirely different project lol.
Post #881096 26th Jan 2021 4:24pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Keep us posted on you project for the Td5 high idle.... would be interested in a kit for mine
Post #881310 27th Jan 2021 2:34pm
A.Rubio

Spain 

Click image to enlarge

Hello there is a mechanical way to make a hand throttle for the Td5 only for winch use or other occasions but never for use as a cruise control I put photos, this is done as if it were a change of bicycle sprockets and with the same elements.
Or I leave some pictures

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #881373 27th Jan 2021 7:57pm
TheLastMaverick

diesel_jim wrote:
Keep us posted on you project for the Td5 high idle.... would be interested in a kit for mine

I will indeed, awaiting the arrival of the black ECU connectors so starting to get the coding started.
Post #881468 27th Jan 2021 11:11pm
TheLastMaverick

A.Rubio wrote:
Hello there is a mechanical way to make a hand throttle for the Td5 only for winch use or other occasions but never for use as a cruise control I put photos, this is done as if it were a change of bicycle sprockets and with the same elements.

Thank you for the pictures, I have heard of this method but never seen pictures before, so thank you very much.

I really need a system that deactivates with either the Brake or Clutch being pressed as I'm not sure of the legalities without this.
Post #881470 27th Jan 2021 11:16pm
TheLastMaverick

Can anyone please advise the voltage to the ECU from the Brake and Clutch switches, I'm assuming it's 12v but not totally sure.
Post #882622 2nd Feb 2021 1:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
A.Rubio wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Or I leave some pictures

Genius, I did something very similar in my 200tdi many years ago, worked a treat for winching. Simple ideas are often the most reliable Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #882663 2nd Feb 2021 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1