↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma Pick up to a soft top - Has anyone done it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TRR Motorsport

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Galway Green
Puma Pick up to a soft top - Has anyone done it?
I've ordered a 90 Pick up with the intention of turning it into a full soft top.

Has anyone done this recently and if you did how you get on with changing the body type with VOSA? in the old days you just altered the V5C and sent it off to the DVLA but nowadays do I have to take it to a VOSA office for an inspector to verify?

Also have there been any issues with insurance cover? "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #42244 8th Oct 2010 12:45pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
We were talking to a rep at the Driffield land rover show last year about this subject, he informed us that turning a hard top into a soft top was a better option than a pick up truck.

No rear of the cab to remove, no bulkhead and you can sell the cab / doors to fund some of the project.

But for the life of me I cant remember what company he was from!
Post #42245 8th Oct 2010 12:56pm
TRR Motorsport

Yeah, I wanted a factory soft top but it's discontinued (i had two dealers looking into it for me) so I looked at the HT (there is still a bulkhead unless you buy the SW) and besides I wanted a bulkhead, more protection and stiffens the tub) and you have to source and paint a tailgate if you buy a HT instead. It's much easier to just unbolt the cab of a PU (ready to stick on e-bay Very Happy ).

The technicalities are easy, at this point in time though I'm more interested in the VOSA/Insurance side of it. If the legal side of it is going to be a right ball-ache i'll just buy a 'takeoff' 3/4 soft top off e-bay. "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #42246 8th Oct 2010 1:11pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I can't see how it would be discontinued when there's soft tops out in the "hot" parts of the world.

But either way, just get yourself a tidy ex military 90 soft top, roll hoop (where the seatbelts bolt on to), rear frame, windscreen clamp bar and the angled pieces that fit over the door tops.

Another company on the web (forgotten who now) does a nice little laser cut plate that screws on where the rear view mirror goes, so you can still keep the interior light.

you may have to lose the alarm internal movement sensor though, unless you make a new bracket for it, but i don't know how sensitive it would be to "draughts" that you'll get from the soft top.

Oh... don't forget to rivet on the cleats and hoops for the canvas rope to tie to! Mr. Green
Post #42325 9th Oct 2010 8:50pm
TRR Motorsport

diesel_jim wrote:
Another company on the web (forgotten who now) does a nice little laser cut plate that screws on where the rear view mirror goes, so you can still keep the interior light.

Anyone got an idea on where to buy one of these? "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #43404 23rd Oct 2010 9:53pm
Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 
I've got a TDI Soft Top which was a pick-up. There is enough room for an interior light as well as quick release handles on the underside of the screen top. I have a fairly bright LED light slightly offset to tge right of the mirror.

I'm pretty sure that one of my collegues found a way to order one new... I think it was to Cyprus spec to retain RHD. Drop him an email as he's working from 11am today jeremyjackson@lookers.co.uk.

James Thumbs Up
Post #43412 24th Oct 2010 7:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ibexman

United Kingdom 
TRR Motorsport wrote:
diesel_jim wrote:

Anyone got an idea on where to buy one of these?
P P CAGES AKA Protection performance cheers chris
Post #43423 24th Oct 2010 12:14pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Lookers Park Royal wrote:
I've got a TDI Soft Top which was a pick-up. There is enough room for an interior light as well as quick release handles on the underside of the screen top. I have a fairly bright LED light slightly offset to tge right of the mirror.

I'm pretty sure that one of my collegues found a way to order one new... I think it was to Cyprus spec to retain RHD. Drop him an email as he's working from 11am today jeremyjackson@lookers.co.uk.

James Thumbs Up
I would be interested in a price for a soft top cheers chris pm me
Post #43425 24th Oct 2010 1:01pm
Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 
I'm out of the office until Thurs, but feel free to email Jeremy (who was the one investigating for our customer) but he is in today but away Mon/Tue. From memory I think it was coming out around £19k for a base 2 seat vehicle with PVC top.

James Thumbs Up
Post #43428 24th Oct 2010 2:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TRR Motorsport

ibexman wrote:
TRR Motorsport wrote:
diesel_jim wrote:

Anyone got an idea on where to buy one of these?
P P CAGES AKA Protection performance cheers chris

Thanks for that. I'll have a peruse. "If it ain't sideways, you just ain't tryin'!
Post #43442 24th Oct 2010 9:10pm
mrdk1970

Cyprus 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Lookers Park Royal wrote:

James Thumbs Up

The factory soft top is still available for the Cyprus market and the specs are exactly the same as the UK market.
Post #43454 25th Oct 2010 8:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1