↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Best tyre size for boost alloys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Best tyre size for boost alloys
Probably been asked a few times Embarassed but this is what forums are about!

Best tyre size for boost alloys?
I have 30mm spacers fitted, is there any advantage going bigger? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #455963 17th Sep 2015 10:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Best for what?
Turning circle? Traction? Floatation? Ground clearance? A look?

Personally I'd ditch the spacers and go with 235/85R16 which is the standard size Land Rover put on. If you want more ground clearance, then 255/85R16. If you want less traction and a bigger turning circle but more flotation, then 265/75R16 are about the same diameter as 235/85s.

235s have a good range of tyres available.
Post #456066 18th Sep 2015 1:47pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Best overall really, I won't remove the spacers as they play a great roll with turning circles etc. 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #456136 18th Sep 2015 5:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rickydodah

Personally speaking I find 265/75x16 are a good compromise between all aspects, practicalities, asthectics and range of availability. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #456148 18th Sep 2015 6:54pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Your choices are 235/85, 255/85 , 265/75, or 285/75.

From these, width is only significant for cosmetic reasons (the difference in flotation is negligible and utterly insignificant witb such narrow tyres), but the extra height can be useful. 285/75 and 255/85 are effectively the same diameter, give or take a smidge, so if this is important to you, go for the 255s.

The narrower tyres will have better road manners and will be less susceptible to tramlining etc.

Your decision may also be influenced by tyre availability.
Post #456218 18th Sep 2015 9:39pm
Cupboard

Best overall utility I'd for for the 235s.
Post #456353 19th Sep 2015 6:18pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
If its any use I have 235/85 R16 on Boosts? (Not selling just saying!) 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #456361 19th Sep 2015 6:36pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
blackwolf wrote:
The narrower tyres will have better road manners and will be less susceptible to tramlining etc.

Personally I feel the tyre type/manufacturer makes a bigger difference. The 235/85 Contis on my 15MY XS are absolutely horrid on the road compared to 265/75 BFG ATs (old pattern), I swapped them off the NAS rep.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #456403 19th Sep 2015 8:57pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Re: Best tyre size for boost alloys
bear100 wrote:
Probably been asked a few times Embarassed but this is what forums are about!

Best tyre size for boost alloys?
I have 30mm spacers fitted, is there any advantage going bigger?

I have the standard 235/85/16 fitted to std Boost alloys and my use is mainly road. I don't do a great deal of mileage.

They are Continental Cross Contact AT which I suspect were fitted by the previous owner for economic reasons Neutral

They have plenty of tread.

They don't appear to be too noisy or problematic in any way (even when 'playing' off road (very light)) but I have nothing to compare them too.

When it comes to changing the tyres, I am pretty much sold on BF Goodrich T/A KO2 AT's for a number of reasons, and this Forum has positively influenced my thinking. They do look very good and improve the appearance which is a factor.

My questions are:

What size (width) can you safely and legitimately fit to the Std Boost alloy without using spacers etc.?

Is there likely to be an increase in road noise (I ask that question based on Forum users experience rather than the stated spec as they are both around 74dB)?

Many thanks in advance.

Will
Post #467475 29th Oct 2015 10:26am
blackwolf

Martin wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Personally I feel the tyre type/manufacturer makes a bigger difference. The 235/85 Contis on my 15MY XS are absolutely horrid on the road compared to 265/75 BFG ATs (old pattern), I swapped them off the NAS rep.

That's a very good point and one which I had rather overlooked since for the last 15 years or so I have always run BFG Mud T/As, either the original pattern or KM2, and consequently was comparing like for like apart from size.

Screbble wrote:
... What size (width) can you safely and legitimately fit to the Std Boost alloy without using spacers etc.?

Is there likely to be an increase in road noise (I ask that question based on Forum users experience rather than the stated spec as they are both around 74dB)?...

The widest tyre you can fit on a Boost is a 285/75 x 16. This is however not recommended by either the tyre or wheel manufacturer, but there are many people who have been running this size without any problems for years. You do not have to fit spacers with this combination, but the turning circle is adversely affected if you don't, to the point where driving becomes challenging. For that reason I personally would not consider running 285s on Boosts without 30mm spacers.

If you do opt for 285s (especially on spacers) expect the outside of the vehicle to be permanently covered in crud. Even if you alter the mudflaps and fit Dirt Defenders or similar, it will still be covered in crud. If you open the windows, the crud will come in to meet you. If you are off-road, you cannot open the windows without getting car-full of crud. Crud will become your constant companion if you have 285s! I like crud, and when I ran this combination it didn't bother me, but it is not to everyone's taste.

265/75 will fit a Boost with no problems and will produce less crud. Again you do not need spacers with 265s but they will improve the turning circle. The main difference is that the vehicle is drivable without them, whereas with 285s it really isn't. 265/75 is a very popular size, combining a rolling diameter virtually identical to a standard-fit 235/85 with a section that it about 1.3/8" wider. There is a good range of makes and tread patterns available in this size, inlcuding the new BFG AT KO2.

255/85 will also fit and look good. Much the same applies re. spacers as for the 265 - they help but are not essential. The rolling diameter of a 255/85 is virtually identical to a 285/75 (the 255 is actually fractionally taller) but the tyre remains wiithin the arch and crud is not an issue. You get jus under 1" more clearance under the diff than you do with a 235/85, which probably isn't significant. The biggest problem with this size is that the choice of tyres is very limited, with BFG KM2s being the only serious option (but this is probably the best dual purpose tyre in the world today, so the restriction is not as bad as it sounds). The BFG AT KO2 is not available in this size, and there don't seem to be any plans to make it so.

Finally 235/85. A perfect fit on Boosts, the standard size tyre, with a wide range of makes and treads (including the KO2). Does everything you need, keeps the vehicle exterior clean, doesn't need spacers.

Really the choice comes down to appearance, budget, and personal taste! Remember that you will never get a tyre wide enough for flotation to be a factor on a Defender (unless you go 'Icelandic'), and a narrower tyre is generally better off-road in the UK than a wide one (it cuts through the gloop to the solid stuff - if there is any - underneath). Wide tyres are also generally significantly worse in snow and ice.

Noise is on the whole a product of tread pattern rather than section width. "Road" tread patterns are quieter than "odd-road" patterns. Mud tyres tend to get noisier as they wear.

I used to run 285/75 x 16 KM2s on Boosts with 30mm spacers, and had no complaints. I now run 255/85 x 16 KM2s on (+12mm offset) Blindos (no spacers) and the road manners and handling is significantly improved. I wouldn't go back to the wider tyres.
Post #467506 29th Oct 2015 12:23pm
Cupboard

I was amazed how much more muck I got everywhere with 255/85s on Wolf wheels compared to 7.50s on standard steel wheels. I was also amazed that they (BFG Muds) were just as slithery and slidey as my Michelin Latitudes in mud, and were barely 1" taller let alone the 2" that they should have been. The BFGs had a hell of a lot more tread (and were less worn) than the Michelins so should have been miles better. Maybe if I'd found even more mud the difference would have been more apparent but it was the sort of stuff that would have been over the toes of my boots.
Post #467532 29th Oct 2015 1:54pm
blackwolf

The deeper tread on the BFGs will be the reason for the extra muck, the Michelins simply don't have the tread to dig holes. All tyres will slither about on mud, but the ones that dig the most mud out will generally (but not always) be the ones that perform better.

Muds is always going to be a problem for a road-compatible 4x4 unless there's something solid under it to cut down to.
Post #467567 29th Oct 2015 4:20pm
Cupboard

I was sliding around in a 4wd tractor last week, nothing's infallible Laughing
Post #467619 29th Oct 2015 7:04pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
blackwolf wrote:
Martin wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Personally I feel the tyre type/manufacturer makes a bigger difference. The 235/85 Contis on my 15MY XS are absolutely horrid on the road compared to 265/75 BFG ATs (old pattern), I swapped them off the NAS rep.

That's a very good point and one which I had rather overlooked since for the last 15 years or so I have always run BFG Mud T/As, either the original pattern or KM2, and consequently was comparing like for like apart from size.

Screbble wrote:
... What size (width) can you safely and legitimately fit to the Std Boost alloy without using spacers etc.?

Is there likely to be an increase in road noise (I ask that question based on Forum users experience rather than the stated spec as they are both around 74dB)?...

The widest tyre you can fit on a Boost is a 285/75 x 16. This is however not recommended by either the tyre or wheel manufacturer, but there are many people who have been running this size without any problems for years. You do not have to fit spacers with this combination, but the turning circle is adversely affected if you don't, to the point where driving becomes challenging. For that reason I personally would not consider running 285s on Boosts without 30mm spacers.

If you do opt for 285s (especially on spacers) expect the outside of the vehicle to be permanently covered in crud. Even if you alter the mudflaps and fit Dirt Defenders or similar, it will still be covered in crud. If you open the windows, the crud will come in to meet you. If you are off-road, you cannot open the windows without getting car-full of crud. Crud will become your constant companion if you have 285s! I like crud, and when I ran this combination it didn't bother me, but it is not to everyone's taste.

265/75 will fit a Boost with no problems and will produce less crud. Again you do not need spacers with 265s but they will improve the turning circle. The main difference is that the vehicle is drivable without them, whereas with 285s it really isn't. 265/75 is a very popular size, combining a rolling diameter virtually identical to a standard-fit 235/85 with a section that it about 1.3/8" wider. There is a good range of makes and tread patterns available in this size, inlcuding the new BFG AT KO2.

255/85 will also fit and look good. Much the same applies re. spacers as for the 265 - they help but are not essential. The rolling diameter of a 255/85 is virtually identical to a 285/75 (the 255 is actually fractionally taller) but the tyre remains wiithin the arch and crud is not an issue. You get jus under 1" more clearance under the diff than you do with a 235/85, which probably isn't significant. The biggest problem with this size is that the choice of tyres is very limited, with BFG KM2s being the only serious option (but this is probably the best dual purpose tyre in the world today, so the restriction is not as bad as it sounds). The BFG AT KO2 is not available in this size, and there don't seem to be any plans to make it so.

Finally 235/85. A perfect fit on Boosts, the standard size tyre, with a wide range of makes and treads (including the KO2). Does everything you need, keeps the vehicle exterior clean, doesn't need spacers.

Really the choice comes down to appearance, budget, and personal taste! Remember that you will never get a tyre wide enough for flotation to be a factor on a Defender (unless you go 'Icelandic'), and a narrower tyre is generally better off-road in the UK than a wide one (it cuts through the gloop to the solid stuff - if there is any - underneath). Wide tyres are also generally significantly worse in snow and ice.

Noise is on the whole a product of tread pattern rather than section width. "Road" tread patterns are quieter than "odd-road" patterns. Mud tyres tend to get noisier as they wear.

I used to run 285/75 x 16 KM2s on Boosts with 30mm spacers, and had no complaints. I now run 255/85 x 16 KM2s on (+12mm offset) Blindos (no spacers) and the road manners and handling is significantly improved. I wouldn't go back to the wider tyres.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive response Blackwolf Thumbs Up

You have certainly answered my questions and provided a lot more information based on experience as well.

If I had a hat, I would take it off to you. I haven't, and I can't afford of now as I own a Defender Laughing Bow down

I feel that this is going to be a case of want versus need as in reality I doubt I will have to test the true capability of the tyres. Aesthetics are important. I don't mind a bit of crud myself but maybe not to the extent you describe.

Lots to think about, but I'm far better informed now. Thank you Thumbs Up
Post #467753 30th Oct 2015 9:22am
nidge n

Black wolf, thank you so much for your write up. It's so helpful. I drive 80% road and 20% off. I also do a great deal of motorway driving. Of the 235 and the 265, which is fine most stable at motorway speed? And which is the quietest at motorway speed? Thanks guys for your help. Once I've got the size then I need to chose the make Big Cry
Post #469894 5th Nov 2015 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1