↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > how to reduce radio interference on the TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wilfranco

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
how to reduce radio interference on the TD5
Good morning all from sunny South Africa.
I have a Icom 706MKIIG and the Hustler mobile antennas with band resonators mounted in and on my Land Rover Defender 90 (TD5) I have done a professional Job of fitting the Radio and antenna systems in place,
After spending a lot of time grounding and bonding body panels I found a marked improvement compared to the initial setup, except for the noise from the injectors and the signal supply harness from the CPU to the injectors, the interference levels were only marginally affected by the bonding and grounding process ,multiple clamp on ferrite beads/chokes fitted to the harness seem to have very little effect on the square wave noise generated.
I have Fitted many HF radio systems to various makes of vehicles, but the TD5 has it's own challanges I have followed good Rf and DC grounding techneques and yet the noise persists,
The antenna system is excellent and I am able to work all over the world, but I achieve better results with the engine switched off. If the antenna is disconected from the ICOM 706MKIIG the noise also dissapears,
DSP speakers like the BHI II-es have some effect except that the level of DSP processing required to suppress the Square wave signal generated by the CPU is such that audio quality is lost.
Has any body in the uk overcome this problem ? if so can they contact me on the forum or at zs6wc@vodamail.co.za Bow down
If the TD5 was used for RFR (ready for radio) vehicles in the military, how were the interference problems resolved?
I wonder IF Land Rover UK has some information.Here in South Africa they say they have no technical information on the subject and cannot assist me.
Is there a dept. that I could contact at Land Rover UK that might be able to assist, how did the British army use these vehicles with all this radio noise.?
Kind Regards.
Willie Wright
Post #41269 25th Sep 2010 8:01am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Sorry i cant help with your problem but i do know that the British military dont use the TD5 model for radio work, maybe to do with the interference they generate.

Pete.
Post #41273 25th Sep 2010 10:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1