↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > www.mobile-tracking-solutions.co.uk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

GREENI wrote:
I chose Skytag when they started years back, been happy since. Flexible options, good communication from them always and a phone call as soon as my defender moved, when it shouldn't. What's not to like.

Sure there are others. You asked for our opinions Thumbs Up

Did you buy the black 110?

how much do you pay fior geo fencing ?
Post #466010 23rd Oct 2015 10:53pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I honestly started to use them in the companies infancy (2 owners touting for business from the back of an estate car at a show) I don't remember how much I pay...I'm one of those people who rarely check their bank account Laughing
Post #466013 23rd Oct 2015 10:58pm
nitram17

messier104 wrote:
Thanks for the replies

I don't want to start another thread on Sky Tag or comparison with this and that type of tracker as there is a lot of info on here already. (too late Embarassed )

BUT... Very Happy

With my limited knowledge of not owning a tracker, how is the Sky Tag preferred?

If i do a "Top Trumps" compare of the two, Tracker Locate "seems" to offer better features and will inform me of any movements and has signal jamming detection and VHF signal.

Unless I'm missing something

I think you will only realise the value of the tracker when a truck gets pinched..........this ia a big forum i wonder if anyone has any direct experience of having to use a skytag or other tracker following a theft ....a response to this or not would be illuminating and might expose the value of trackers and the relationship between fear of theft and promotion of anti theft products by vendors.................in the back of my mind is the nagging feeling that if your truck is targeted by organised car thieves they will have tracker blockers and your truck will be in bits within a couple of hours ! and in the end a tracker will be like any other security device in that it will adventagous against the casual theif but not the professional and your money may be better spent on other layers!
Post #466015 23rd Oct 2015 11:11pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Agreed^

More layers the better...for sure.
Post #466016 23rd Oct 2015 11:14pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I doubt many would argue with the layered approach. It's certainly eminently sensible.

I think the approach to 'which layer' is very dependant on so many factors and an individual's personal situation - and there's no right or wrong answer.

For many, a limited budget influences choice. Whistle

I've heard of owners who have nothing other than the std fitted security, and others that take 1/2 at the end of each journey to implement all of their security devices. It'd be wrong to criticise either. So many factors to consider. Confused

I haven't heard a bad word about Skytag and I did read somewhere that the product is endorsed by some security professionals and government agencies.

I think the discounted/forum price is very attractive and will influence choice. Thumbs Up

Having said all that, I am only giving my opinion which after all is said and done, is only that - my subjective, uninformed, selfish view Wink
Post #466068 24th Oct 2015 10:18am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Note - please insert the word 'hour' after 1/2 ^

Embarassed

Note to self - stop playing on the forum and go outside and enjoy your Landy Rolling Eyes
Post #466071 24th Oct 2015 10:21am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
nitram17 wrote:
..........in the back of my mind is the nagging feeling that if your truck is targeted by organised car thieves they will have tracker blockers and your truck will be in bits within a couple of hours ! and in the end a tracker will be like any other security device in that it will adventagous against the casual theif but not the professional and your money may be better spent on other layers!

Hi Martin,

I too had that exact same nagging feeling, nevertheless not to get one when they are relatively cheap because the thieves may have blockers doesn't sound right to me, even if you do spend the money on other layers? Due to their costs they should be used as one of the primary layers in my book. Certain insurance providers will also give you a discount on your premium with 'an approved Thatcham system' so it can be a win win situation all round.

Trackers have come a hell of a long way and as stated are reasonably priced. A tracker IMHO 'should be' near the top of everyone's list who care about their truck. A GPS blocker bought off of E-Bay no longer cuts the mustard with many trackers having two other means of communication and GPS blocking and power loss detector modes too that notify your service provider when either are activated. Ultimately you get what you pay for. Used as one of your layers it does help you rest a little easier.

Twice I have been called by my service provider, once when the signal was masked when I drove onto the aluminium 86 metre catamaran at work, and once when I forgot to notify them when I was travelling through the Channel Tunnel. Reassuring to say the least!

There are of course those on the other side of the fence who state if their truck was stolen they wouldn't want it back. I certainly would!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #466074 24th Oct 2015 10:31am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
nitram17 wrote:

I think you will only realise the value of the tracker when a truck gets pinched..........this ia a big forum i wonder if anyone has any direct experience of having to use a skytag or other tracker following a theft ....a response to this or not would be illuminating and might expose the value of trackers and the relationship between fear of theft and promotion of anti theft products by vendors.................!

YEP Thumbs Up

Friend of mine [Tom] had his 110 nicked while he was in Cirencester [Or Chippenham, can't remember which lol] ..

Call to Skytag, police were behind it within 15 minutes ... They followed it all the way along M4 to Severn Bridge toll [knowing he'd have to stop at tolls] and arrested him .... Rather painfully by all accounts - police dogs have a fair turn of speed Laughing Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #466077 24th Oct 2015 10:45am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
This links to the other part of the problem

Do you want it back and is it even a deterrent if you don't tell people its fitted and if you do, then are you stating (to a pro thief) its there so they know to defeat it before they start

I had a tracker on the 90 and decided i wouldnt on any other car again as i didnt want it back - however, now you cant buy them any more does that make you want it back more?

We have looked at them and i would go tracker. Its certainly more of an industry wide known Mike
Post #466108 24th Oct 2015 12:54pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Cobra is a good make with an excellent track record. (No pun intended). Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #466118 24th Oct 2015 2:14pm
grizz

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I've got a tracker that the same one cobra use . For the the main features are ..
Getting a text and email if the vehicle leaves my home zone .
Being able to remotely turn on the immobiliser
Being able to log in and see where it is and has been
Post #466305 25th Oct 2015 8:20am
APK

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
Hi all,

I am familiar with the offer on Skytag but is anyone aware of discounts on Tracker Cat 5 or Cobra Trak 5?

Thanks!
APK
Post #499564 2nd Feb 2016 3:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12