↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Blanking Plate Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
expatRob

Germany 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
EGR Blanking Plate Install
I have MY07 2.4 Puma. I'm looking for a little help with installing the EGR Blank I just bought. Does anyone have a good set of install directions or a video link showing the process? I have searched through YouTube with no luck.

I have the slotted plate and I just want to make sure I put it in the right spot.

Thanks.
Rob
Post #464297 18th Oct 2015 12:17pm
Buwster

Malta 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
Hi fellow puma owner Smile The EGR in a puma 2.4 is not exactly the same way as a TD5. On a puma, one needs to remap the ECU in order to close the cycle electronically first. If this is not done, additional and unwanted lights on your dash will pop up nicely. Either Pete Bell (BAS Remap), Gary Wood (Alive) and IRB. These are three good guys you can rest assured regarding their knowledge.

Check with them if you need more information you can also search on TDCI remapping and EGR blanket on this forum. There is lot's of info regarding this. Hope this helped you out.
Post #464343 18th Oct 2015 2:59pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Here you go! Thumbs Up

AndrewS wrote:
Here is a picture of what you are blanking off

Click image to enlarge

Wider view

Now I have seen the configuration of the holes in the tube TBH I don't think there will be much difference between drilling a 5mm Ø hole or a 10mm Ø hole. I have drilled my blanking plate out to 19mm Ø
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #464356 18th Oct 2015 3:28pm
expatRob

BUWSTER BAS Remap
Ok Buwster, So I get a BAS REMAP and then blank of the EGR where K9F says to.

1. What BAS REMAP do I get from BAS services. BAS2 RRC DEFENDER 2.4L TDCI

2. Can I do it myself?
Post #464381 18th Oct 2015 4:32pm
Buwster

I think its better if you have a chat with Pete in order to explain the process, as I am doing mine next month (At the moment I'm waiting to get the allisport intercooler installed in order to get a stage 2 remap ). You can find him on facebook, or you can contact him from his site.
Post #464493 18th Oct 2015 9:15pm
K9F

You don't need to blank it if you get an EGR closed map and the EGR is functional at time of installation of the map. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #464498 18th Oct 2015 9:19pm
expatRob

Thanks I will talk to Pete at BAS Maps and see about that. I can just plug the EGR back in and do a closed Map.
Post #464518 18th Oct 2015 10:14pm
Buwster

Yes, the best way to go around it is to remap the puma in order to get the beast out of it Smile This will also help in the ease to drive and he can even lift your restrictions (130 KMH)
Post #464538 19th Oct 2015 6:08am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
K9F wrote:
Here you go! Thumbs Up

Those that Mal had fitted are not of the same type as the ones found on e.g. ebay, they won't fit on the same side, those from ebay go right before the EGR on the left side, after the gaz cooler.

I had one fitted a while ago (the partial blanking one) but I didn't have enough hands to take pictures while fitting it, unfortunately Smile

I did the lower bolt from underneath, pretty easy actually, at least a lot easier than from above.
Post #464549 19th Oct 2015 7:40am
K9F

o4dn wrote:
Those that Mal had fitted are not of the same type as the ones found on e.g. ebay,

The ones depicted are NOT mine but they were fitted in the same place! I was just showing where they went.

My blanks came as a set of six. The orifice size ranged from 8mm up to 19mm. The idea being each Defender is different perhaps a remap fitted, snorkel, performance air filter etc....You started with the large orifice and over time gradually reduced the orifice until the MIL light was initiated and then went back to the previous size blank and left it, basically finding the blank that was ultimately suited as far as possible to your own truck. Later versions of these blanks had slots and a tab incorporated that meant you could slip the old one out, new one in in about 5-10 minutes.
I ended up fitting the smallest 8mm. An EGR closed map followed but I have still left the blank in situ in case I revert the map back to standard.

As stated previously you DO NOT need to blank if you have an EGR closed map and your EGR is functional at time of map programming! In answer to question 2 remapping a very easy process and can be carried out at home in about 15-20 minutes once you have the correct tools, and your modified software sent to you via e-mail. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #464558 19th Oct 2015 8:13am
o4dn

Quote:
As stated previously you DO NOT need to blank if you have an EGR closed map and your EGR is functional at time of map programming! In answer to question 2 remapping a very easy process and can be carried out at home in about 15-20 minutes once you have the correct tools, and your modified software sent to you via e-mail.

Speaking from my own experience (not saying that it would apply to everybody out there), I had the EGR closed electronically for less than a year and when I reverted back to the original map for MOT, the EGR was clogged up and made horrible noise even when driving, so I reckon it makes a lot of sense to fit a blanking plate especially if you have the EGR disabled electronically.

That said, I am now running on the genuine software with the EGR and its cleaning cycle all functional, and a partial blanking plate and this is, for me at least, the best and cheapest option (just a few quids for the partial blanking plate).
Post #464568 19th Oct 2015 8:55am
K9F

Hi o4dn I am curious as to why after spending out on a remap (not a small sum) you would want to run on genuine software? Especially if you've no impending dealer visit and out of warranty? Is it to keep the EGR functional perhaps? Just curious? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #464570 19th Oct 2015 9:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
o4dn wrote:
... when I reverted back to the original map for MOT...

What was it about the map you were running that made you think it would fail an MOT? Just curious.

I've been running a BAS no-EGR map for the last 5 years and have had no MOT issues whatsoever, and in fact under current MOT rules I don't think it is possible to tell if it is working or not. It may all change in the future of course, especially in the fallout from the VW "defeat device" scandal.
Post #464575 19th Oct 2015 9:14am
o4dn

Several reasons actually.

Main reason is legality, where I live a remap is simply illegal and would invalid my insurance in case of a claim, this is enough to keep me awake at night Rolling Eyes

A remap makes little or no difference off road (which is where a Defender should be), I find the torque sufficient with the genuine map for my off-road use. It's is nice and fun on the road, but illegal anyway.

As for the EGR, I also found that my car runs better and smoother with the EGR enabled, and it's also a lot quieter. Fuel economy is the same with or without so it makes no difference. But I admit the EGR and the remap are two different things, you can always ask for a remap with the EGR enabled, that's the main point when dealing with a reputable and knowledgeable tuning company, you do get exactly what you ask for (I am very grateful to the tuning company I chose and would definitely recommend it)
Post #464582 19th Oct 2015 9:29am
o4dn

blackwolf wrote:
What was it about the map you were running that made you think it would fail an MOT? Just curious.

The map itself would have gone unnoticed most likely.

French MOT ("contrôle technique") is a joke as compared to the MOT, admittedly, but they do check for NOx emissions at the exhaust so they are able to tell whether or not the EGR is functional.

blackwolf wrote:
I've been running a BAS no-EGR map for the last 5 years and have had no MOT issues whatsoever, and in fact under current MOT rules I don't think it is possible to tell if it is working or not. It may all change in the future of course, especially in the fallout from the VW "defeat device" scandal.

Precisely. Disabling the EGR will increase NOx emissions and I'd bet they will look more closely now thanks to VW... But again, remap and EGR are two different things. I dunno if a remap would change the CO2 emissions though, as they also check for that.
Post #464590 19th Oct 2015 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>