↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > How to clean engine safely
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sgilmour

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
How to clean engine safely
Apologies if this has been covered before but I've seen conflicting views on every other place I've searched.

My engine is covered (literally covered) in oil thanks to a dodgy rocker cover gasket. I'm going to replace the gasket soon and want to clean down the engine so I can see any other leaks and also just to have it look a little bit better. I'm almost definitely going to Gunk the engine but my concern is in washing the engine off.

Have people done this and encountered any problems (thinking electrical...), have an recommendations on the whole cleaning process? It's a 300TDi engine and I'm hoping to be able to just hose down the engine but I'm not sure what risks I'm running by doing so.

All help appreciated.

Cheers.
Post #463214 14th Oct 2015 1:56pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Gunk is as good as any other product use a stiff brush to apply on a warm engine leave for a few minutes then hose off using the brush to remove stubborn bits. I would not use a pressure washer (I know lots do but if you are using a degreaser it is not necessary). If you want you could tape up parts of the loom with carrier bags to protect your eclectics. Leave for about half an hour with the bonnet open to dry everything out before starting.

Word of caution the water coming off the engine will be dirty, greasy and full of crap if you do this on your drive you are going to have to wash it all off that as well so do it on the road. Whistle For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #463220 14th Oct 2015 2:15pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Then watch all the 2-Wheelers high siding as they loose grip in the grease and oil!

Not the best idea coming from a 2-Wheeling background Wink.

Depends on what sort of road you live on of course. I'm right on the side of a 50mph main road, so not an ideal place!
Post #463222 14th Oct 2015 2:19pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Scratch that then, Thumbs Up but be aware your drive will be greasy so perhaps place a load of newspapers underneath or better still some disposable nappies folded out that you can gather and put in your black bin. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #463224 14th Oct 2015 2:22pm
sgilmour

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure I cover up any electrics that look like they might be in the firing line.

As for the cleanup I've got a scrap of grass outside my house, I'll park up there and give it some watering Whistle

Cheers guys Thumbs Up
Post #463231 14th Oct 2015 2:38pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Why not go to a car (self) wash station and do it there? Then at least the waste water, with grease and oil, will be collected and treated or separated before dumping in the environment! Shocked Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #463304 14th Oct 2015 7:45pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
As above /\

A good degreasing agent and a hot soapy wash with someone else's jet wash.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #463307 14th Oct 2015 7:52pm
sgilmour

Embarrassingly I hadn't thought about going to the garage and using their jet wash to wash the oil off Embarassed
Post #463411 15th Oct 2015 10:09am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Stornoway Grey
I would get hold of some TFR (Traffic Film Remover)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...reId=10001

Its great stuff, becaureful around alluminum as if you leave it on for too long it will stain it as it cleans. I would go to a garage with a decent jet wash, soak your engine with TFR agitate trouble areas with a stiff brush (or a paint brush works well to get into the hard to reach places) leave for 10 minutes then pressure wash/ steam clean.

I dont invisage you having any problems with electrics, I submerge my 200tdi completely in water and rarely get any problems, but obviously, if you can keep away from elec connectors, and I wouldnt get TFR on your alternator or too much water if you can help it.

I used to use TFR on Truck when I worked for Scania, It works great, we used a Knapsack to spray in the hard to reach places etc,.. you'll be pleased with it. but remember!! KEEP AWAY FROM ANY COSMETIC ALLUMINUM (CHEQUER PLATE ON WINGS/ WHEELS ETC) My 1986 90 is currently on a full rebuild, with new chassis, Paint etc.. Very much a hybrid, TD5 Chassis, tub & bulkhead with a 200TDI and LT77 GB Painted in Stornoway Grey Smile 2 years off the road, but getting close to completion now
Post #463418 15th Oct 2015 10:32am
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
1 can of WD foaming Degreaser, give it 5, rinse, reapply and tooth brus to the stubbern bits, repeat.

all sparkerly.

and Shell's habd jet was took all the crap to eb safely disosed of. TY&GN
10 years in a WOLF, WIMIK and Snatch and this is all I have to show!
Post #463554 15th Oct 2015 5:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1