↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Easiest V8 Conversion - Update 13/11/15
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jim_m_kidd

1992 Defender 110 200 Tdi ST Alpine White
Easiest V8 Conversion - Update 13/11/15
Hi! - Just after some guidance/advice...

Brought a 1992 Defender 110 200tdi about 6 month ago as the basis for a project. One of the aims for the project was to have much v8 loveliness... With me finally doing in the clutch I have decided that now is the time.

I have read many articles on what and how but still can't find the guidance that I am after. What I am seeking is the simplest conversion with the least amount of work Smile

I also what to make the switch to auto as knee problems have long forced me to use autos and I've grown to like them.

So.. thinking v8 and autobox from rrc or discovery would be the way to go. What I'd ideally like is something that will bolt up to the rest of the running gear (which is in good order) - so basically bolt it up to my lt230 transfer box, and then let the gearbox/engine combo dictate some new engine mounts and jobs a good'un. (well kind of)

I'm defiantly thinking that I'd buy a donor vehicle- but not sure what to get. for example I 'think' that RRC did have lt230 transfer boxes until a point (before switching to BW) - so do I need to find a particular age of RR. Also thinking about automatics, I don't want to at this stage particularly faff with too much eletricary so was thinking hydraulic would be the easiest?

So what I think I am asking is does anybody have experience of a project with a similar set of objectives, and what did you end up using as the donor or the components.

Be happy to share experiences as I go on.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by Jim_m_kidd on 13th Nov 2015 6:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #463162 14th Oct 2015 10:43am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
i wouldnt call the conversion easy, but definately has been done many times. if your getting a garage to do this, then its going to be big money

some thoughts from me...

electrics - you want something with carbs if you want easy. fuel injection is definately doable (GEMS) or aftermarket with the likes of megasquirt. You will need to have your vehicle loom grafted onto the engine loom for the engine. Nothing terribly difficult there.

engine mounts - you will need to remove your current engine mounts and replace with ones for a v8. The hard part about this will be where exactly to weld them back in. im assuming your chassis is good? also making an assumption your not going for a new galv chassis as part of the process which would make it easier.

gearbox crossmember - the one for the 200tdi is no good and will require replacing with one suitable for the autobox (ZF4HP22 is the proper terminology for RRC, D1, 50th etc). You need to consider what exhaust system you want as part of these choices as it can route differently dependent upon manifolds and crossmember.

interior - obviously you will be needing somewhere to put your new auto gearshifter. You can go all out and buy the proper 50th console which is expensive, or buy something in sheet metal from border motorsport, or just fabricate your own. All these will result in loosing your middle seat or cubby depending upon whats there.

autobox - the one you want is a ZF4HP22 gearbox. The one to avoid as it has all the electronics is the ZF4HP22EH. This ones need a computer, but it is a better box. the computer is a compushift or megashift.

FYI.... im in the middle of doing my own 200tdi to V8 conversion Wink I dont know all the answers, but ive definately found a lot of new questions lol Rolling with laughter
Post #463207 14th Oct 2015 1:32pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Hi Jim

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.p...-questions

That is my thread on when i auto converted an existing V8 ninety. it asks lots of silly questions at the start and as it develops they will all be answered.

Basically if you sit the existing lump (Engine, Box, T box) on the original Gearbox mounts so your props stay the same then you will need to locate the front engine mounts.

I would strongly advise that you buy a complete doner Discovery (LT230 T box instead of BW) vehicle and harvest it for parts inc cutting off and using the engine mounts.

Sit down read my topic and i'll happily answer any more questions you have.
Post #463212 14th Oct 2015 1:41pm
Jim_m_kidd

Perfect! - Definitely describes a lot of the things that I am thinking about... up to page 5 at the moment, might be a few weeks before I start in earnest but that's a great load of info - up to page 5 at the moment!
Post #463448 15th Oct 2015 11:51am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Thanks.

it is said a job is easier the second time you do it, So my thinking is that if you read the ins and outs of someone else doing it then when you do your build you will know most problems to come and won't spend so long trying to figure it out.

I'm sure I covered most aspects of the build and it went fairly painlessly. Your fuel pipes will be slightly different being a newer 110 but it isn't a major issue. again building a 110 version of 'Franken Pump' can be done and just a case of running feed and return lines for the petrol.

Exhaust wise the theory should stand that EFI auto down pipe and y should plumb straight into TD5 mid and back as that is what the 90 has and what they call the 50th anniversary system.
The 110 has a deeper chassis and so it will take a little trial and error to find a workable gearbox cross member. A tubular disco / rangie is a little short for a 90 so that gap will alter for the 110. as priorities go I would route the exhaust first then think which crossmember will bridge the gap.
Post #463670 15th Oct 2015 10:40pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
http://mudmachine.webklik.nl/page/land-rover-90-

I have done it and it isn't that difficult just it's more time consuming then you expect. Twisted Evil

Depending on the gearbox you are getting you might be able to reuse your own transferbox.
To make it easy on yourself take the whole body off so you have a rolling chassis to work with.
Probably the gearbox mountings fit to your chassis and will place the engine it a reasonable spot, put your radiator in front off the engine and use the V8 schrout and get the right height for the engine mount. Remember that the engine rubbers will be smaller with the full weight off the engine. (I needed a 7mm spacer after welding the engine mounts in place Whistle )

This is the big and the heavy work now it will be the small, easy but more time-consumming fiddle work to make everything fit and work.
I used a LT95 4 speed gearbox and a RR V8. If you can find an V8 from a Rover 3500 you might have an 3.5 ltr engine with 165 hp.

Go for it and have fun. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #463700 16th Oct 2015 4:57am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
What are you planning to do with the 200Tdi? Whistle Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #463770 16th Oct 2015 12:47pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
I have a late serpentine 3.9 v8 for sale from an Auto Discovery, was removed at 60k and was really sweet

Click image to enlarge
 Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #463858 16th Oct 2015 7:11pm
Jim_m_kidd

Thanks for the extra information - funny isn't it that once you start looking and refining that something easy can get more complex... For example I am now thinking\researching efi electronic auto and megasquirt\megashift!

Bit more research needed so thanks for the offers on engines but I won't be doing anything soon, but I will bear in mind the forum when selling\buying!

Cheers

Jim
Post #464797 19th Oct 2015 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1