↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Replacement lock barrel.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Replacement lock barrel.
Can anyone advise.

For the first time since getting my 2010 defender a couple of months ago I tried to use the key to lock the vehicle (I took the drivers handbook advice and always locked with the fob in order to arm the alarm), and it works perfectly. However I'm going on a ferry crossing and they want the alarm off so I tried the key and found that the lock barrel is solid, I can get the key in but it wont turn. I have squirted oil and anti seize fluid into the lock but it wont move. I am hoping that this is a warranty repair but if it's not.......so I wondered how easy/difficult it is to change the barrel and whether you can order a barrel by key number.

Also, the only way I have found can lock the defender and not set the alarm without using the key in the drivers door is to push down the drivers door lock from the inside, this locks all the doors, then exit by the rear door and lock this by key from the outside. Is there another, easier way?

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #256065 3rd Aug 2013 9:46pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Yes, your dealer should 100% sort it. If not under warranty, then under the 7 year corrosion guarantee! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #256082 3rd Aug 2013 10:25pm
slick75

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Have you tried pressing the lock button twice I do that when leaving dog in side it diss arms the interior sensors hope hhis is of some help 08 def 90 ht stornaway grey
Post #256087 3rd Aug 2013 10:35pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
May be worth trying graphite powder instead of anti-seize fluid. It fixed an ignition barrel that wouldn't allow me to turn the key (start the engine) on my old Discovery.
Post #256089 3rd Aug 2013 10:36pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Ambersil graphite lube is what I use on my security post. Its brilliant.

Post #256091 3rd Aug 2013 10:44pm
ChrisCM

Thanks Guys,

I'll be contacting the dealer on Monday but in the meantime I have some graphite lube in my workshop so I'll try that.

Re pressing the lock button twice, is that the lock button on the fob? I don't recollect seeing that in the handbook, I'll check tomorrow.

Post #256108 4th Aug 2013 12:27am
pumaxs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I had this problem with the drivers door lock a few months ago.
The lock was solid & the key would only go about a quarter of the way into the barrel.
I started off with loads of WD40, and then moved onto drowning it with a thicker '3 in 1' type oil.
It took two or three days of repeated applications, but each time I could jiggle the key a little further into the lock, and eventually it completely freed up.
You might not have the time for this process - Or be as lucky!
"davidwhittaker": Why would this be a warranty claim? You cannot blame Land Rover for everything! It's a plain and simple maintenance issue. If you drive off road, and/or use a pressure washer, you will be amazed at how much cr@p will find its way into the lock barrel.
I never had a problem with my 'old' manual locking LR's, because I used the locks on a daily basis, and so could tell when a drop of oil was needed.
But, if you have new fangled remote central locking and only use the drivers door lock once in a blue moon, you could already have a problem waiting to be discovered.
Interestingly, the rear door lock barrel was still operating as smooth as silk.
So, the moral of this story is: Reach for the oil cans boys + girls! Thumbs Up '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #256119 4th Aug 2013 8:43am
ChrisCM

Puma XS, this is exactly the symptoms I had, at first the key would only go in half way, then with a bit of jiggling it went all the way in but the barrel still doesn't turn, hopefully, as you say a few days with oil and graphite might see it moving, unfortunately, even if LR do agree to fix it it will be several weeks before they can have it as we're off on Tuesday. So I'll put a can of WD40 in the vehicle and give it a squirt every day and hope for the best!

I can see how crap would have got in, there doesnt seem to be the little flap covering the key slot, hopefully this is just stuck open with corrosion and hasn't dropped off into the barrel mechanism.

My rear lock is also, as you say, smoth as silk......strange, but at least I seem to be able to lock without alarm as I described in my earlier post.

Post #256124 4th Aug 2013 9:11am
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
The lock is warrantable, you should try the rear door too! Both of ours were seized, dealer got the rear door to free off but had to replace the driver's door lock. But there was a problem, recent door lock orders were taking more than a year to arrive!!! A post here though sparked watchers from Land Rover Customer Service into action and it was all sorted in about 6 weeks, and they've kept in touch with all our warranty issues (of which there have been many) since then!
Post #256126 4th Aug 2013 9:28am
pumaxs

Chris CM:
Stick with it if you've managed to free up the barrel enough to fully insert the key.
As you say, the lock will still be reluctant to turn at first.
Mine would initially only turn to lock, but, with more oil and time spent gently + repeatedly jiggling the key, it did eventually lock + unlock every time.
The little sprung flap on the lock plate was not stuck open on mine, so yours will obviously have been letting in more water + cr@p.
I can't be 100% certain, but I felt that I made more progress once I started using the thicker '3 in 1' oil, as it seemed to better lubricate things.
This is the kind of job that Sundays were made for!!! Whistle '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #256146 4th Aug 2013 11:29am
ChrisCM

I'll keep at it with the oil WD40 and contact the dealer tomorrow, if orders are taking several weeks best to get it ordered before I go on holiday (if they will look at it tomorrow.

Post #256157 4th Aug 2013 1:03pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
davidwhittaker wrote:
Yes, your dealer should 100% sort it. If not under warranty, then under the 7 year corrosion guarantee!

The corrosion warranty is for perforation of the metal from inside out, not locks or other ancillaries. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #256159 4th Aug 2013 1:10pm
ChrisCM

Been to the dealer, quick look, there may be something in the barrel, perhaps the slot cover? So may not be covered by warranty. They will look at it again when I get back from holiday and consult the warranty manager, seems the delivery time for a new barrel is about 2 weeks.

I'll keep on squirting the wd40, you never know it might free off.

Post #256417 5th Aug 2013 4:45pm
pumaxs

Is the 2 week turnaround for ordering a 'suited' lock barrel, so that the driver's + rear door will still operate using the same key? '57 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon 2.4tdci
Post #256418 5th Aug 2013 4:49pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Are you still having trouble locking it without alarming it? If you are, I may have a solution. Not sure however if this will work on the Pumas (pretty sure it should do!) I always lock my Tdi like this...

Have the door open, then push the button on the door handle halfway in, then push the lock lever all the way down on the inside of the door, whilst still holding the button in. This should then activate the lock, and when you shut the door it should lock its self.
Hope that helps Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #256419 5th Aug 2013 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>