Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Fault Codes Query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Puma Fault Codes Query
Hello.

Having managed to get my IID BT going properly now, I've done a read of fault codes, some of which I've seen before and some I haven't.

IPC-Instrument Pack

• U0100-87 (20) Unknown

• U3000-46 (40) Unknown

PCM-Engine Puma 2.4

• P0480-23 (2F) Fan 1 control circuit - General signal failure - signal stays low

• P1103-00 (6C) Mass air flow sensor in range but higher than expected

• P0234-00 (68) Turbo/supercharger overboost condition

Previously, I've had P1103 and cause the MIL to light; and on a separate occasion it's gone in to limp mode (cleared after a restart) with P0234 showing.
I think P1103 came after I'd been driving for 5 hours, stopped for a couple of hours then had another hour of driving. I say I think because I hadn't looked for codes before.

P0234 came after driving for about an hour on the way home from the LRO show. When I was sitting earlier that day idling for 5-10 minutes the engine revs occasionally went up from 750 to 1100RPM for a few seconds which was a bit random. That happened about 3-4 times. MAF issues and overboost sound like they could be related?

I've no idea what the first three (U0100, U3000 and P0480) are, any ideas?

Other things that may be relevant: 17k miles, recent service (oil and filters), always starts on the button but over winter I get white smoke starting at about 30s and lasting 5 minutes, glow plug lights always come on, even when the engine is hot, engine will quite happily start from stone cold even if you don't use the glow plugs. Once the engine is warm, if you're accelerating or it's under load it sounds sweet as anything. At partial load (like cruising at 60) it rattles. It usually just idles quite happily. Edit: I don't have AC.

Could MAF sensor issues be causing my problems? What about the other codes?
Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
Post #460685 5th Oct 2015 4:38pm
Lorryman100

Yes seen them all Thumbs Up

I am currently at work so don't have access to my desktop to show you P0480 but the below link explains the U dtc,s

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic23232.html?highlight=dtc
Post #460718 5th Oct 2015 6:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
For future reference, your posts on this thread are quite helpful:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5443.html

Regarding this thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5125.html
I'm quite happily getting about 360-80 miles before the low fuel light comes on, and it sounds miles better with Shell go faster diesel than normal diesel.

The consistent theme is most threads on subjects like this are BAS, Lorryman and Caterham Laughing

Edit: oh, and the EGR makes the noise I'd expect when I turn the engine off.
Post #460815 5th Oct 2015 9:52pm
chrisc2306

Scotland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing this fault? I have the same codes coming up on my puma and have no idea where to begin. I've replaced the maf and the map, removed egr and cleaned it. Anything else I should try?
Post #811527 22nd Jan 2020 8:50pm
MMR1988

Germany 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Are you talking about the turbo overboost condition?
I had the same and it was just a broken wire within the connector of the actuator from the turbocharger. Not visible from the outside, but a gentle pull on each of the wires made it clear, that one was faulty. It normaly works fine until you run over a bump and the cable loses its connection. Then the actuator will stuck in its position and the van geometry is still open.
There is a repair loom available for fixing this.

After fixing the 1103 was gone as well.

I get some IPC faults, when I read the codes with ignition on, but without the engine running.

Regards, Max
Post #811535 22nd Jan 2020 9:52pm
chrisc2306

Scotland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Thanks Max I'll take a look at that tomorrow and see if thats what it is. Were you also getting the fan 1 fault as well?
Post #811539 22nd Jan 2020 10:12pm
MMR1988

Can’t remember. I tend to say it is a problem, when the codes are checked while the engine is turned off. Anyway, this is nothing in the air intake area, therefore it is a different problem. Maybe it is just the relay or its connectors. If this code still remains while engine is running you should simply check the circuit with a multimeter starting at the fuse and end at the mass connection.
Post #811549 22nd Jan 2020 10:47pm
Tumbiri

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Good day MMR1988. You mentioned that there is a repair loom available for the turbo actuator. I noticed recently broken insulation on one of the wires going to the actuator connector. Can you let me know where I can get the repair loom with connector and the PN?
Thanks.
Post #869464 24th Nov 2020 11:43pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
For a 2.2, our own site shop Smile

https://www.defender2.net/shop/defender-pu...-p102.html  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #869474 25th Nov 2020 1:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tumbiri

Thanks Martin! By the way, I did get in the MAF connector that you sent me and I installed it. Pity I didn't notice at the time the cracked wire insulation at the turbo connector otherwise I would have ordered that too. Will eventually get around to ordering it. Not much room though in that harness to do the splice. LR currently in garage for an intermittent power loss problem. EGR valve and MAF Sensor already replaced. Mechanic suspects a turbocharger control issue. Will wait to see how that pans out. Never ending problems with the not-so-old girl but I love her!
Cheers.
Post #869475 25th Nov 2020 1:33am
MMR1988

Hej,
the Number of the loom is LR020663.

/Max
Post #869480 25th Nov 2020 6:26am
Tumbiri

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Since my last post 24th Nov 2020, much has happened with regard to my power loss issue. The ENG light would illuminate on every drive, always after a couple of kilometers, and when cruising on flat straight roads (i.e. with no excess power demand). The engine would reset after every re-start.

After much deliberation, testing, and consultation with Land Rover, my mechanic advised that my turbo needed changing...ouch! So we did that and all worked well on the test drive, no power loss. BUT, on getting back to the garage he heard an air leak noise. Found the intercooler had split along the side! More $$$$$!!

My gut feeling is that the power loss was originally due to the split in the intercooler and that the new turbo outperformed the old one thus compensating for the air loss, and so the system appeared to perform normally. It's also possible that the new turbo made the split worse which explains why no air leak was heard before. As if that was all, when removing the AC condenser to get access to the intercooler, the condenser brackets were found to be badly corroded. Fortunately the fix was relatively simply. New brackets were manufactured locally and fitted. Here are a couple of photos. And no, I haven't been driving through salt water. Just another poorly manufactured unit!

So, in conclusion, I believe that my old turbo may be serviceable. Guess I'll clean it up and keep it as a spare!
Post #906405 4th Jun 2021 12:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1