↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Reprogramming an ECU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi

Perfect thank you, it helps me understand a lot.

1 I asked about the AC as the calibration ID inside the ecu is for an AC car so I was checking that was correct.
2 I asked if it cranked over on its own steam as this shows me that the 10as is working correctly and de immoblising as it should.
3 I asked about the temp guage as this will tell me if the ecu is alive on your car correctly, we assume as you dont know it is.
4 Same for engine management light.
5 The head gasket assumes the pistons are in bacis good order and have no massive holes in them for example.
6 Good.

Here is how I have summerised so far......

The basic mechanics of the engine are correct from the work done in the other thread, or we assume so at least.

The vin number beinng backwards is actually very normal for cars with old software in them, ive seen it a million times and it means nothing apart from its old and missed LR updates, It does make it hard to diagnose sometimes as tools can sometimes struggle to get reliable communication to the engine ecu if the vin is old and showing backwards Sad .

For reference and info... The vin from the instrument pack is transmitted on the CAN nework to the engine ecu and diag port, the engine ecu does not output a vin nunber diagosticlly its self and so only reports/mirrors what is ever inside the instruemnt pack its self in its own way. Even sending an 8 byte request command on CAN addressed directly to the engine ecu on network address 0XE0 command of 03 22 F1 90 00 00 00 00 to request to read VIN will still only ever report the vin seen on the CAN network thats outputted by the instrument pack it self and nothing more.

What makes it even harder to diagnose is that now the engine ecu contains software and assembly number ID based arround a 140bhp Ford Transit mixed up with the Defender latest calibration curticy of Dan the man Confused .... which could limit a diagnostic tool from gaining real correct access to a REAL engine ecu standard software calibration and may be limit the info you can get from it to help dignose the fault as well as possibily comtributing towards the local garage having problems coding in injector number 4.

I could add more info and assumptions but it would not be profesional nor help solve this problem so ill move to my next thoughts....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the mechanics are all perfect, and also assuming the wiring and sensors are perfect and powering the engine module as we expect it to etc this really only gives us left in the equation a fueling or fuel pump related problem and I suspect that or that the VCV on the rear of the pump its self if faulty, but its very hard to say without more tests on the car.

Have you ever had a bad batch of fuel in the car that caused problem ?

If it were my car Id personally first check the valve on the end of the rail is not leaking off and may be change the VCV on the pump and have it coded back in with diagnostic tools capable of doing so. WIPE the software that is on the ecu now and put a REAL factory standard on it and move on from that may be with immobliser removed may be not.

Im happy to help with a diagnostic tool, software for the ecu to straighten it out and even fuel pump VCV part should you wish as a START point to get to the bottom of this problem as I think its your only next move, Im also happy just to return the ecu to you as it is. I will let you decide the next step.

Kind Regards Pete
Post #462734 12th Oct 2015 10:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichieRich

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hi Pete,

Nightmare! As far as I know there's never been a bad batch of fuel put in the tank. What's so frustrating about all of this (and the last 2.5 years and spending a small fortune!!) is the car was working great until it was mis diagnosed as needing the cylinder head gasket changed. As it turned out it was actually a faulty oil cooler! If we had never touched the engine and only swapped the oil cooler we wouldn't be having these issues trying to get her started again.

I'm so confused what's been done to the car to be causing the non start problems! Even with a wonky ECU and software it still ran fine in the past.

It all comes down to cost now Pete. I think wiping the software and reinstalling is a good idea so we can lay the dodgy software issue to rest and remove the immobiliser anyway (but this was never a problem in the past!!)

How much are we looking at for software wipe/install, diagnostic tool and new VCV fuel pump part?

I'm not a total moron but mechanically a bit nieve!! Would I be able to change the VCV easily enough by myself?

Cheers

Richard
Post #462759 12th Oct 2015 11:17pm
bell-auto-services

It gets more confusing the more I learn about its storey hehe.

The VCV is a easy instal mechaniclly though fiddley, you can order one from here and have sent to your mum in Scotland cheaply. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-MK7...3cf25500e0

May be sourced locally I dont know your islands situation ?

What fears me for you is its not ran since the head was removed which causes concerns for me as to why, but on the same hand its now all been mechaniclly checked so Im strugelling where to direct you to most wisley spend if Im honest and Ive proved the ecu works even in its current weirdly programmed state.

The simple terms are this, you have no diagnostics at all and I think you should have someone you can use and trust locally or you need something your self that you can use your self. Personnally Id like to know you have ecu comms, rpm signal when cranking, and sensors doing things they are supposed to etc but without any fresh reliable info we cant be sure.

Its not magiclly going to fix your car by any means but you are currently totally blind without them and are reliant on hearsay and what your local mechanics tell you is good or not, and I still feel their are questions and tests unanswered of which cant be answered without the ecu back on the car and diagnostic tools available.

Hardware only execpt with a FREE standard software calibration file when we need it to wipe the old ecu info, this will allow you to do injector coding, new VCV coding and pilot correction all once the engine is up and running. https://secure.bellautoservices.co.uk/stor...ly-add-on/

And while it does not run it will allow you some diagnostics and live data as shown here http://bellautoservices.co.uk/help-faq/bas...live-data/

Pete
Post #462766 13th Oct 2015 12:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichieRich

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the time your taking on giving me all this info, very much appreciated.

Ok so I need a diagnostic tool. What would you recommend and how much are they?

The one you suggested at the start of this thread costs around £350 I think. I don't know what to do as I can fly a mechanic over from the UK for that kind of money! Someone who knows what they are doing and have the diagnostic tools so they can run all the tests then hopefully pin point the issue and tell me exactly what I need to get Bubba back up and running or do I buy the tool try do the tests and take it from there then fly someone over!?

How much for the tool Pete then I can make a decision.

Cheers

Richard
Post #462795 13th Oct 2015 9:06am
bell-auto-services

bell-auto-services wrote:

Hardware only execpt with a FREE standard software calibration file when we need it to wipe the old ecu info, this will allow you to do injector coding, new VCV coding and pilot correction all once the engine is up and running. https://secure.bellautoservices.co.uk/stor...ly-add-on/

I can not make it more clear Razz press the link.

Do you own a plane ?
Post #462804 13th Oct 2015 9:26am
RichieRich

Sorry Pete! It's just after 7am here now long up bit groggy! As I live outside the EU is it possible to not pay the VAT?
Post #462805 13th Oct 2015 9:30am
bell-auto-services

hehe,,, please stop and read Smile

The web site shows Prices shown are excluding VAT. On checkout VAT will be added at the current UK rate of %20 where applicable. This is only if exported out of the EU of course and not sent to the UK.
Post #462808 13th Oct 2015 9:39am
RichieRich

Oops Whistle Ok think I've read everything now. There's no way I can have it sent to Cape Verde islands as it will go missing enroute somewhere around Senegal like all packages we get sent to us so VAT it is!

I need to transfer funds to my UK account to pay for the tool which will take until next week but please send me your inovice for work done so far Pete so I can square up with you for that and get you paid straight away.

Cheers

Richard
Post #462809 13th Oct 2015 9:45am
bell-auto-services

no problem,, their is no invoice so far apart from a bit of shipping should you need the ecu back first.
Post #462811 13th Oct 2015 9:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Is it possible that when the head was replaced someone made a mess of the valve or injector timing, or damaged/forgot to refit the camshaft position sensor?

It seems odd that it worked prior to the head coming off, and didn't work afterwards.

It still seems to me that there has been a major event in this vehicle's life that we don't know about, and I can't help but wonder if BLR and Dan the Man had a part in it.
Post #462826 13th Oct 2015 10:34am
bell-auto-services

I agree with you Blackwolf there has been a major event in this vehicle's life that we don't know about and that has been overlooked or not correctly checked after the event. I even suspect a few false and misleading answers have been given during the way to "please" the owners mind and help them part company and wash their hands of its problems......
Post #462832 13th Oct 2015 10:46am
blackwolf

Three previous threads about this vehicle, in order of creation:-

Firstly http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic21681.html - the original problem,

RichieRich wrote:
To give you a bit of background on the story so far, temp gauge went to the red when driving, limp mode kicked in eventually got car home to discover gloopy oil mixed in the water reservoir tank. Replaced cylinder head gasket so original problem fixed. The new problem however is now the car won't start. Cranks over but won't kick in!

It never seems to have started since.

then http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22528.html - Ian's (IRB) visit, too long to quote, but evidently the engine had been catastrophically bodged almost to the point of destruction. Ian sorted the engine mechanically, but inadvertently reinstalled the immobiliser function in the ECU and had to return to the UK with the ECU to reprogramme it. ECU evidently then returned to the island.

then http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32548.html - ECU refitted, engine still cranks but won't fire.

RichieRich wrote:
Ian from IRB developments (and a member of this forum) did a great job putting right what previous mechanics had botched over here on Boa Vista when working on our Land Rover "Bubba"! After doing all his work Ian took the ECU back to the Uk with him, re-programmed it and sent it back over to us. It should have been a case of plugging it in and hey presto Bubba would be back on the road! But alas it was not to be and Bubba is still sick, off the road (over 1.5 years in total now!!!) will crank over but still not start. Ian reckons it's an electrical issue now causing the non start!?

Finally this current thread. Only now do we learn that the vehicle came from an infamous place in Berkshire, a place where mysterious and bad things have happened to many innocent Landrovers!

This saga would make a great movie!
Post #462853 13th Oct 2015 11:58am
RichieRich

As far I know IRB changed the camshaft sensor when he was here!? I'm going to look over my previous post when they wrote up what they did. Would the diagnostic tool pick up on any issues with this sensor?

It's a bit of a shame but IRB just kinda dumped us and left us in the lurch not replying to emails asking for basic information and what they had done when they returned to the UK programmed the ECU and told us it should work after that.

Pete - so next course of action wipe ECU clean(?), buy diagnostic tool, get ECU and diagnostic tool over to Boa, install ECU, reprogramme injectors etc etc then run diagnostic test?

Just so I know how much money to transfer to the UK am I looking at £250 for work done on ECU (wiping clean etc) and another £300 for diagnostic plus postage to the UK?

I wish I knew if there had been some major event!!!
Post #462855 13th Oct 2015 12:04pm
blackwolf

Second link in my post above (to Ian's post) says that he rebuilt the front end (new timing chain, guides, tensioner), set the timing correctly, checked the valve, rocker and camshaft events, replaced all four injectors, overhauled and repaired the oil cooler (the cause of the original problem - the cylinder head gasket being a mis-diagnosis). He says also that the immobiliser function had already been disabled from the ECU but that he inadvertently reinstated it when updating the ECU, and lacking the progiramming tools to sort this problem out took the ECU back to Blighty to reprogramme. He also noted that the VIN in the ECU was not the VIN of the vehicle.

I don't think (unless I missed it) that he said anything specifically about either the crankshaft position sensor nor the camshaft position sensor, but this doesn't mean that he didn't check for correct outputs whilst cranking.

Pete will correct me if I am wrong, but most diagnostic tools should be able to check for Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensor output whilst cranking (and I am pretty sure that a DTC will be produced anyway). Certainly failure of either will prevent the engine starting. The camshaft sensor I believe is only used on startup, the crankshaft sensor is used all the time when the engine is running.

Last edited by blackwolf on 13th Oct 2015 12:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #462857 13th Oct 2015 12:11pm
bell-auto-services

Dan the man did your ecu it seems so IRB may not have known what was done to it hence no reply ???

RichieRich wrote:

Just so I know how much money to transfer to the UK am I looking at £250 for work done on ECU (wiping clean etc) and another £300 for diagnostic plus postage to the UK?

Gees Big Cry ,, please please read what I type this is becoming tediously boring and if im honest making me thinking about walking away also. your above quote of £250+£300 is WRONG TOTALLY WRONG PLEASE READ WHAT I TYPE.

bell-auto-services wrote:

Hardware only execpt with a FREE standard software calibration file when we need it to wipe the old ecu info, this will allow you to do injector coding, new VCV coding and pilot correction all once the engine is up and running.

https://secure.bellautoservices.co.uk/stor...ly-add-on/

Post #462860 13th Oct 2015 12:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>