↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Just halved my insurance!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Just halved my insurance!
As the topic says Shocked

My quote was for my Defender and my wife's FL2. Both fully comp, 250 excess, protected no claims blah blah blah.

NFU (my previous insurer) quoted just over 600 for mine and 800 for the wife's. I spoke to Admiral on one of their multi-car jobbies and they've done the whole lot for 700 Exclamation Same terms. Same cover.

Needless to say it didn't take long to make that decision.

Shame. I am a long standing supporter of NFU and I'd rather they had my business TBH but at twice the price Rolling with laughter One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #40644 16th Sep 2010 4:27pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Alan i've found the longer you stay with the same insurance company the more they charge ??
I always change mine every year and it stays cheep Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #40650 16th Sep 2010 4:47pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Same issue with wifes F2 so moved from NFU, shame as always really good to deal with.
Post #40667 16th Sep 2010 8:00pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
all insurance companies bank on a certain number [quite a large number actually] of busy/lazy people who renew their insurance without checking and then they take the profit.

mind you most insurance companies have had a really bad year due to the massive rise in Bodily Injury claims in the last year or so [blame resession, huge increase in no-win-no-fee solicitors etc]. they have all had to substantially increase their premiums........

i would recommend everyone gets a new quote at every renewal. luckily i am of a certain age where i can get quite cheap insurance. i count myself fortunate compared with anone under 25-30 who are suffering. BM52
Post #40670 16th Sep 2010 8:22pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
there was a time when Admiral were making good quotes but they were 10mth policies. Although it would still be worth it in your case. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #40678 16th Sep 2010 9:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
'Adrian Flux did it for me' after I had issues with my insurance over my extras (refusal of insurance due to A-Bar) all extras declared, clear conscience, off-road cover too and a very competative premium.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2923.html

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #40696 17th Sep 2010 6:47am
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
For info, I had a big claim with Adrian Flux some years ago, 3rd party accepted liability and I needed the best part of 7k on a car worth ten... Adrain Flux were great and fought my corner all the way!! Bow down
Post #42332 10th Oct 2010 8:58am
alantd

Of course the bit they don't tell you is the little details - to cover the courtesy car when my wife's FL2 was being serviced cost £20 (even though I was very specific with them on this issue when I booked the quote - they clearly didn't understand what I was talking about).

Never mind. Stratstone insurance was £10 and I could do that A LOT before making up the difference. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #42616 13th Oct 2010 6:44pm
Lorryman100

Just increased mine
Just renewed my insurance and changed from esure who took £269 fully comp to Adrian flux charging £415. Now I know you are supposed to get a cheaper deal when you renew but after calling esure to let them know about mods to my defender (was on the phone for 27mins trying to explain what a safari snorkel was!!!! Evil or Very Mad ),and basically getting a "dohhh I need to check with the underwriters", from the representative each and every time i added something else to the defender made me think its about time I used an insurer who knew what a steering guard was!
So I found a few posts mentioning Adrian Flux and went to them for a quote and was ecstatic to find out that Greenlaning and offroad use was included, something esure does not. I can also spend all my monies on mods without hearing the dreaded sorry but we cant insure you if you fit that as i usually phone after i have fitted said item! Also Adrian Flux insurance gave me a further 15% discount when i told them i was registered on Defender2.net Thumbs Up
Post #42623 13th Oct 2010 7:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Re: Just halved my insurance!
alantd wrote:

My quote was for my Defender and my wife's FL2. Both fully comp, 250 excess, protected no claims blah blah blah.

NFU (my previous insurer) quoted just over 600 for mine and 800 for the wife's. I spoke to Admiral on one of their multi-car jobbies and they've done the whole lot for 700 Exclamation Same terms. Same cover.

Shame. I am a long standing supporter of NFU and I'd rather they had my business TBH but at twice the price Rolling with laughter

funnily enough the NFU were miles out today on my company vans....twice as much as the other quotes, couldn't get anywhere near it with the wifes D2 aswell. strange as they blew the others out the water on our commercial insurances. Maybe there getting hammered due to all the defenders being nicked lately.
Post #42634 13th Oct 2010 9:57pm
alantd

Re: Just increased mine
Lorryman100 wrote:
So I found a few posts mentioning Adrian Flux and went to them for a quote and was ecstatic to find out that Greenlaning and offroad use was included, something esure does not. I can also spend all my monies on mods without hearing the dreaded sorry but we cant insure you if you fit that as i usually phone after i have fitted said item! Also Adrian Flux insurance gave me a further 15% discount when i told them i was registered on Defender2.net Thumbs Up

That last bit's worth knowing.

Greenlsning should always be included as they're public roads. A policy would have to explicitly state "no non-metalled roads" which I've never seen. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #42646 14th Oct 2010 8:46am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Re: Just halved my insurance!
alantd wrote:

Shame. I am a long standing supporter of NFU and I'd rather they had my business TBH but at twice the price Rolling with laughter

Me too - just added the 100 to wifes Smart car insurance with Admiral as Privilege wanted £700 plus for 110 this year alone Shocked So we now have a multi car for £648 (pay monthly)

To be fair we have added a couple of SP30's this year but they wanted £200+ extra for one of those, almost 50% of last years premium. Also extra for non standard light (leds at rear) so worth checking any mods are covered, seem like a big list of non standard 'mods' including tow bars!

Still keeping the 90 with NFU as Admiral don't cover for off road use and NFU do. Might be worth checking off road is covered with whatever insurance (greenlanes should be as they are 'public roads' I think.)

Well worth shopping around, cheapest quote I got for the 110 was £211 with swiftcover which seemed pretty cheap.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #135884 31st Mar 2012 3:08pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
mines due this friday coming, done my quotes already. My county with all mods listed is £2800 and with the same company if i turn it into a van 90 it is only £1200 dont ask me how that works Confused but i have the new sides painted already, fitting them monday Thumbs Up
Post #135960 31st Mar 2012 8:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Killer90 wrote:
mines due this friday coming, done my quotes already. My county with all mods listed is £2800 and with the same company if i turn it into a van 90 it is only £1200 dont ask me how that works Confused but i have the new sides painted already, fitting them monday Thumbs Up

Blimey, why is it so high?
Post #135975 31st Mar 2012 8:50pm
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Mine was due 31/3/12 most quotes between 650/750 with all mods listed ad flux, nfu all tried sure term wouldn't insure as it was new but wife tried Landrover insurance and with every thing inc 418 good deal includes Bussness use as well It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #135985 31st Mar 2012 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>