↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Looking for a new Tool box and some help/advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fixit

Looking for a new Tool box and some help/advice
Hi all i have been looking for a new roll cab to replace my Mac one as i have out grown it and want to store every thing in the one place.
So i have seen the large us pro units on ebay like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-US-PRO-MASSIV...3ab2aab520

And it seems a lot of box for the money but is it any good? Do any of you out there have one? or have experiance of them as its a lot of money if its no good. But one hell of a saving if the quality is ok.

I have had a look at maybe getting a halfords box to go with what i have but i think the mac one is much better quality and i dont think i will be happy with 2 boxes

I have also had a quote for a new snapon box 40" wide and its going to be £1500 more than the one on ebay for less box all be it for sure better quality. i would like a new snapon or mac unit but im struggling to justify the expence with myself as it only for use in my home workshop. But i do use it every day.
Post #458610 28th Sep 2015 10:01am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I was after a new box so looked at the ones from places like machinemart etc but the quality wasn't really there for a box I use everyday, in the end I bought a secondhand snap-on box off eBay, it was like new. Saved a few grand on it and couldn't be happier, it is now nearing being full and had gained a few scratches but it's a working box.
Post #458631 28th Sep 2015 11:15am
need4speed

I was very fortunate and won a spanking new Beta roller cabinet in a competition. The quality is fantastic. Heavy drawer runners and very heavy base wheels. Ideal for rolling over uneven workshop floors..
Maybe look for a used one on eBay?
Post #458632 28th Sep 2015 11:21am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Those eBay boxes (which are sometimes in Costco under a different name I think) aren't actually to bad according to many reviews I've seen on various tool related sites.

They aren't your snap on boxes, but should last a good few years as a daily.

I've got a small single Bahco roller draw set (Bahco I believe is owned by Snap-On?) and it's been solid for the past 5-6 years I think I've had it.

I keep wanting to get one of those eBay boxes, but my shed is such a mess currently, I couldn't get it in Laughing.
Post #458634 28th Sep 2015 11:28am
theorangebandit

I have Clarke boxes, as I needed space fast and cash was low. And they're holding up very well. The quality isn't there compared to Snapon boxes. (my next box will be Snapon 😃) but Clarke HD boxes are great for the hobbyist. I have the double width top and bottom box and I've moved them around quite often with new contracts. The metal isn't as solid as Snapon and mines got some dings due to that but drawers still work as they always did.

Spending on a box should be relevant to ita purpose. Snapon boxes are great ! But if it stays in the garage and gets dusted off once a month I wouldn't say its a wise investment.

I don't like US pro as I'm sure they're the same if not lower quality than sealey but perhaps that's an opinion.
Post #458635 28th Sep 2015 11:29am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
SGS boxes aren't bad either, but only ever played with them in a showroom!
Post #458636 28th Sep 2015 11:30am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I'm interested in the US Pro boxes too and would also like to hear about 'real world' experience rather than speculation if anyone has these ?
Post #458648 28th Sep 2015 11:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mdm

United Kingdom 
the coscto ones are very good.excellent warranty should it break not that it has in 3 yrs of use

any of the big brands ala snap on are great and whislt not as heavy or as strong as yesteryear will still last a lifetime of home use and a long time in profesional use..

should they break the question is can you get spares,my 20 yr old snap on box could do .

for home use i tried the coscto one with no issues
Post #458805 28th Sep 2015 8:27pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I've got a Homac one from CostCo in the shed.

I have to say it is a very well made bit of kit.
If you google them you will see they make all manner of tool cabinets for industrial applications,hospitals,etc

All the draws are on ball bearings, huge draws, and the paint Finnish is very good.
I've also got a Beta Hang-on side box, wasn't cheap but again very well made. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #458822 28th Sep 2015 8:45pm
MaxRPM

England 
I've got US Pro boxes in my workshop, roller cab, top boxes and side hung boxes.
Very good value for the money, ball bearing drawers and with an empty weight of around 400Kg, so very chunky construction. The wheels are plenty strong enough to take the loaded weight, though I never have to move it around.
I bought mine in crackle black finish which I am disappointed with as it is so hard to keep clean, so if you do buy get a flat finish.
Post #461343 7th Oct 2015 5:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
maxRPM wrote:
...with an empty weight of around 400Kg...

Really? That's nearly half a tonne! Shocked
Post #461360 7th Oct 2015 6:51pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I have bought some of the us pro stuff off eBay before not bad for the money I would buy again, but in the end you get what you pay for!! Don't expect snap on quality at the us pro prices.
Post #461361 7th Oct 2015 6:53pm
Silver Back

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Seen the ones in Costco and agree these seem to be very good with a high build quality. Like others have said I guess the critical thing is quality of drawers, rollers, etc.

Eventually I plumped for the Halfords professional range (there is a separate thread on this somewhere on the forum) for which I originally bought the top and bottom cabinet. Since then I've also brought the intermediate section. All good quality and I'm pleased with it but if I'm honest don't have enough room for my tools.

Now I could have gone for the Costco option or with the current offers we've recently seen at Halfords it might also be cost effective to buy two lots of their cabinets.
Post #461372 7th Oct 2015 7:34pm
fixit

Hi all thanks for the replies
Im sorry as i thought i had replied to this the other night on my mobile but it seems i didn't post it somehow

I have ordered the one shown in the link on my first post and it is ment to be delivered to my store tomorrow

I will let you know what i think of it once it arrives

Im sure it wont be or the same quality as my mac box or a snap on one but the seller on ebay has told me it is of comparable quality.

I went for the stainless one and im sure it will be a pain to keep clean but a wipe down with wd40 should be near enough anyway roll on tomorrow Cool
Post #461378 7th Oct 2015 7:54pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
^^^^

How are you getting on with it ?
Post #462061 10th Oct 2015 2:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>