Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BG1

United Kingdom 
Sans/Snow Anchors

Sand / Snow Anchors

Hi,
I'm researching the Sand and Snow anchors that 4X4 vehicles use in very extreme conditions IE:- Snow {the loose powder Snow) that does not form a snow ball because it to cold and dry. Sand, the very loose wind blown desert sand.
I have looked at the "plough style" and peg Style and I am looking for people who have had the successes and the failures with this style of equipment, but do they really work in Snow and Sand with a fully laden expedition on the end of the winch rope.

I welcome all sensible input and comments if you have had experience of this type of equipment

Regards BG1
Post #5505 15th Dec 2008 9:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I've not seen any one use a sand anchor here personally. Normally we travel in pairs or more and use a snatch strap and another car. I've have heard stories where they have pulled out of soft sand and in that instance the person used the burried spare wheel method. Like all things, I suppose they have their limits. They probably work very well in 95% of recoveries, but like all these things, you should always have a back up plan.

Ray Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #5533 15th Dec 2008 9:25pm
BG1

United Kingdom 
I have gone through a number of forums looking for answers to which land anchors works in Sand and Snow. Some poeple have used a boat anchor called a Danforth, and it said it works well in Sand, it comes in various sizes and is cheaper than some other equipment for 4x4. But I would like to know does it work in Snow?

Regards BG1
Post #5559 16th Dec 2008 2:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
portal pat

Australia 2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Fuji White
www.lan-cor.com End of story. Nothing suggests poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.
Post #456990 22nd Sep 2015 4:57am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
We successfully used an X Eng ground anchor at Marquenterre one year to winch a CJ jeep up a long, steep, sandy climb
Post #456999 22nd Sep 2015 6:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1