↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Single DIN HU with a flip out screen for an early Td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Single DIN HU with a flip out screen for an early Td5
Time to start building the ICE system.

First, it's planning, then acquiring, then building. Majority of the nice systems in the ICE thread are built in Pumas, so not everything is relevant.

Wants:
- Single din HU with flip up screen
- screen needs to be adjustable to compensate for the angle the unit sits at in the dash
- ipod connectivity
- expandable to include NAV and back up camera

Will be looking at Focal speaker upgrade, will build enclosures for the rear, thinking Focal PS 165 6.5"
Fronts will be components, thinking Focal Integration ISN 100, or is there a better option in the 4"? I'm guessing I'll be requiring spacers, there just isn't much depth under there...
Already have a Focal IBUS 2.1 sub sitting on my shelf waiting to go

I have a brand new set of Puma front doors on my shelf, trying to think how and what could go in the doors (if even possible). They have to be painted, so metal bracket work etc is an option, but they are manual windows, so clearance on the handle could be an issue.The doors probably won't be going on until the Spring, but I would like to plan ahead for that one.

Amp.. planning for it to go under the rear seat, really no room anywhere else... Haven't even started looking at amps yet, open to suggestions. The sub will probably need to go there too, as I don't want to be taking up leg room by putting it on the back of the cubby.

In about a month I am going to be replacing the rear floor and upsatand and installing rear Puma seats, with the galvanized seat frame, so I will have full access to the underside, rear passenger area etc. for wiring, mounting modifying anything. Good time to think about how this is going to come together I think.

None the install shops here have really ever worked on Defenders, so they aren't much of a resource...So, I'm looking for suggestions, experiences, and especially photos for HU, speakers , fitting, and so on. With so few of these trucks here, I pretty much rely 100% on what I can source on the board, and just looking at it, and trying things out. Focal stuff isn't as common here as it is over there, so there isn't as many people to talk to about what works best. I do like the quality of their speakers, fantastic sound. Plugged in the sub to my current Clarion HU and was amazed at the sound for such a small enclosure.

As I mentioned, The definitive Defender ICE thread, has lots of good information, but I'm sure some components have changed over the 3 years it's been going, and most of it is on Pumas and the post 02 Td5 dash.

Looking forward to feedback!
Post #452638 6th Sep 2015 1:25am
MGDM4

United Kingdom 
I think it's very hard these days to get a Single Din flip out Sat Nav head unit.

You have to pay some serious bucks if you want one!

Matt
Post #469565 4th Nov 2015 11:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pioneer and Clarion are the best options right now.
Yes, pricing is ridiculous.
Post #469582 4th Nov 2015 11:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1