↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > scanguage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim seymour

Australia 
scanguage
Hi can anyone help i would like to buy a scanguage for my defender2007 puma and would like to know which one to buy.and is this ok to use as iam a bit of a novice with this stuff .cheers Tim Question Confused
Post #36948 25th Jul 2010 9:24am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Tim I am considering exactly the same and sent Glynparry a 'pm' on this very subject yesterday as I knew he had one. I am sure he will not mind me posting his 'pm' reply to me as it will help you as it did me....Cut certain bits out for persec......

Ear tiz....

Glynparry25 wrote:
Ey up Mal,

Scan gauge..... I like it, fortunately I haven't had any fault codes so in a way I guess it is a waste... but in the best kind of way. I like the MPG readout... even though the figures are wrong (I haven't done the setup) it still indicates how to drive more economical. I think the first time I have the engine light come on it will make it more than worth the money. But if I had something else on my list of things to buy I think it would be something I could go with out... if that makes sense?

Take it easy,
Glyn Sheep
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36964 25th Jul 2010 10:49am
Tim seymour

Australia 
Thanks Glyn i have orderd the erg blanking kit from Robo Farmer and thought the scanguage might be handy cheers thanks once again Thumbs Up
Post #36972 25th Jul 2010 12:00pm
K9F

Tim,

Off Topic As a footnote I've been running with Robo's blanks for some considerable time. Ultimately worse case scenario you'll start off with the big blank and work your way down, if you get a MIL light just revert back to the next size up the fault should clear automatically after a few driving cycles. I have worked my way down to 12 mm over a course of a few months with no problems at all. I also posted clear pictures on how to fit on the thread if you're not technically minded.

Page three on this thread:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3115.h...p;start=30

Hope this helps.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #36981 25th Jul 2010 3:31pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I have often thought about fitting a Scangauge, but I get all the information I need when I am driving from the wife! Then again could be usful when I am out by myself. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #37122 27th Jul 2010 10:05am
Tim seymour

Australia 
i know what you mean i have an encyclopedia and the worlds best backseat driver living with me Laughing
Post #37131 27th Jul 2010 11:47am
K9F

Scangauge Fitted!
After Ickle's successful adventure with his Scangauge I placed one at the top of my wishlist. Ordered one with a 'Blendmount' mirror mounting kit as location could have been an issue. All arrived today.

Whole kit and kaboodle!!!

Removed rear view mirror and mounted the Blendmount kit, however due to the angle of the mirror support and it's construction Scangauge would not mount at correct angle or securely enough!

Decided to discard most of Blendmount kit and try to mount supporting bracket from kit directly to mirror itself.

Carefully prised glass from mirror housing. Surprised as glass is quite resilient being about 4mm thick!!!

Click image to enlarge

Drill hole in top of housing and using small bolt secure Blendmount bracket directly to mirror...

Click image to enlarge

Pop glass back in secure Scangauge to mount and click back into place in the vehicle...

Finally (unless you want to cut a hole in the access door) undo the screw securing your OBD diagnostic socket and remove the driver's speaker, feed Scangauge connector through speaker hole and connect up to OBD connector. Secure dismounted OBD connector with tywrap(s). Run cable up behind dash up door pillar (same route as remote unlocking range modification (if you did it) over sunvisor and connect up....Job jobbed! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #39528 1st Sep 2010 3:41pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
You haven't got it central on your mirror.....Not even remotely central......Did the kids help you Whistle not good enough Mal get back out and reline it matey Laughing
Nice bit of kit tho Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #39539 1st Sep 2010 5:38pm
K9F

It is perfectly central, final alignment took place when the cable was fitted after the picture was taken....must be the tail end of the 'vodka bug' you caught at the weekend that's affecting your eyesight....

I am in no way shape or form willing to accept any critcism whatsoever especially considering the way you like dancing to Rod Stewart by the way.....and the way it is carried out!!! Rolling with laughter

Took you longer than anticipated to get home....did you lose your way or just forgot to depress the accelerator? Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #39545 1st Sep 2010 6:25pm
fekete

Laughing Mal the secret is out....there nothing wrong with rod.....at least i lasted the distance Rolling with laughter you forgot the leo sayer period we had Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Off Topic the grease worked on the towing electrics nice one mate Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #39546 1st Sep 2010 6:31pm
fekete

K9F wrote:

Took you longer than anticipated to get home....did you lose your way or just forgot to depress the accelerator? Laughing

It was the 2 KFC That i had to stop for Rolling with laughter
i've got a full blown cold as well feel like Censored Big Cry NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #39547 1st Sep 2010 6:35pm
K9F

Coincidental as hell, but two days after fitting my Scangauge MIL light comes on, do a scan P1103 MAF sensor out of range....Clear code 'job jobbed.'

Not sure if this is one of the codes that may reset automatically after 3 driving cycles if the fault no longer persists but who cares when you can do a reset! Not come back again since! On further research code P1103 most likely as a result I have my EGR partially blanked, only happened once, will hold off fitting smaller blank for a couple of months to see if fault reoccurs.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #39854 5th Sep 2010 1:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1