↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 TDCi Exhaust Drone 1750 - 2000 rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Matt110

United Kingdom 
So, I finally fitted the sound proofing, 2 x bulk packs of 4mm silent coat all behind the C pillar on sides and floor panel, and the drone has reduced by around 75% or more. It's still there, but the transmission path is no longer amplified by the body panels, so you just hear it through the mid floor etc in the second row.

Ive yet to fit my high density vinyl sound proofing chequer plate matting, but to be honest the difference is so marked that I plan to now fit this in under the front floor matting. The rear is now fine.

Is it perfect? No. But it falls into "defender" category, and I can finally drive where I want to in the rev range.

Picture if required but it looks much like a defender with a load of silent coat in it!!
Post #494727 21st Jan 2016 12:30pm
Eau02467

Scotland 
SOrry to resurrect again, was wondering if anyone has a 110 with the mid box removed? Does this help reduce the resonance in the rev range?
Post #541500 19th Jun 2016 2:27pm
pannawonica

Australia 
I have an Alive decat and a straight pipe instead of the centre box with standard back box. I find the sound quite pleasant, however I also have a fair amount of dynamat! Mine was done more for heat mitigation more than anything else, but there's no droning and it goes heaps better! Generally turbos I find are not that noisey in the exhaust department. My wife swears I a bit mutton Geoff. Laughing Thumbs Up
Post #541736 20th Jun 2016 10:21am
Eau02467

Scotland 
Seeing as no one has really definitively answered the question I decided to take a punt on a britpart cheap exhaust section and I can say replacing the mid pipe with a straight through section but keeping everything else standard does mostly remove the drone, it iOS still there but in a reduced rev range (although I do have no internals in my cat and I am led to believe this can create its own drone so it may completely remove it with them intact.......)
Post #542498 22nd Jun 2016 7:18pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I removed the CAT from my 110 TD5 CSW and after that there was an annoying drone under load at certain speeds.
RPM was higher than people have experienced in the tdci, mine droned at 2500-3000 rpm which on a TD5 is 65-70mph.
Eventually l refitted the CAT pipe and the drone has gone.
The Defender is now much more pleasant to drive at motorway speeds.

I think economy was slightly better without the CAT and also low speed pickup was a bit faster, but the droning got to me eventually!
Post #542817 23rd Jun 2016 8:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12