Home > In Car Electronics > Inverters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Inverters
Hi all,

I have read the relevant threads I can find through searching, but they're not quite in line with my requirements.

Basically I'm looking at this to power a baby bottle steriliser while on holiday at a location without mains electricity for a week.

At present I'm thinking I'll just sit it in the passenger footwell when it's in operation and then disconnect and stow in the back... I know this is not elegant but I only need it for about 10mins per day...

Any advice, warnings (e.g. air flow, connections etc.) or suggestions for a neater install would be very welcome. Also if anyone has this or a similar priced model or would have another suggestion etc. I'd be glad to hear it.

Cheers Bow down 2005 110 XS - Cairns Blue "Bertha" - Gone, and sorely missed
Post #448742 24th Aug 2015 5:08pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
What wattage is the sterilizer; you may not need a 1000w inverter if the steriliser is only few hundred Wat.

Have you considered using a Cold-water steriliser like the Milton these costs about £15.00, and can be used anywhere so this is ideal if electricity’s an issue. Simply pop your bottle or equipment in, add the sterilising tablet or fluid and five litres of cold water, and everything will be kept sterile. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #448782 24th Aug 2015 7:07pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Why not use the old fashioned way, using boiling water?
http://m.wikihow.com/Sterilize-Baby-Bottles Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #448791 24th Aug 2015 7:34pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Bluebottle, looked into this myself for exactly the same reason. Our steriliser is 430 watts (from memory) so a 500w inverter is plenty big enough, circa £50 off eBay. I managed to borrow one off a mate, threw his leisure battery in the trailer to run it off, picked up the replacement in line fuse, got in the car to go, realised I had grease off the trailer in my shorts, went back in and got changed. Finally left got to the campsite, went to set it all up and realised the fuse was in my dirty shorts pocket Whistle

Thankfully SWMBO had been to Boots and spent £15 on a cold water sterliser. Loads easier. Nothing to stop it working, no faff trying to plug it in, can't burn you/kids/dog/trim. Throw it in the car and take it everywhere. Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #448796 24th Aug 2015 7:48pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Thanks chaps - I think we will indeed go this way... Shame really as I was hoping to trumpet the Land Rover as saviour for more than just its load carrying ability and add some more gadgets to it...

Still, saves a few quid. Our steriliser is 650w model and all the other websites I've read suggest a reasonable overhead for inefficiency etc. 2005 110 XS - Cairns Blue "Bertha" - Gone, and sorely missed
Post #448941 25th Aug 2015 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1