↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Maggiolina vs James Baroud hard shell roof tents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Hi Penguin,
Re the differences between the Columbus and Maggi, isn't there a lot more room in the Maggi? I can see from your pics that there is a bit more "headroom" at one end of the Columbus but doesn't the greater volume and "squarer" shap make it easier to move around in?
Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #447337 19th Aug 2015 12:59pm
Penguin

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Chawton White
more headroom indeed, only at one end, but still practical to get dressed in the morning Wink
We never got the feeling that the columbus was to small for us. 28/02 - Loss of a good friend...

In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.
Post #447342 19th Aug 2015 1:12pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
^^^ Indeed, I can easily get dressed standing on my knees or even standing up bended a bit with my head down- and I am 6'1" - can't see you do that in a Maggi ...

Open height of the Maggiolina Grand Tour is 96 cm, it is 150 cm (Medium) or 160 cm (Large) of the Columbus Variant. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #447362 19th Aug 2015 2:06pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I can get dressed in my Maggi and I'm 6'3". Also due to the extra room over the feet area allows for a net shelf, and this is where my wife stores loads of crap, and me my keys.

The fact that the Maggi goes up square also means that I rain all the fabric has the roof over hanging it so keeps it drier, with others you are purely relying on the fabric and zips. Also I like the fact I can have the doors open during rain, or even better a good thunderstorm.

Packing away wet has never been a problem, or caused any issues. I like to dry it as soon as I can, and as its all over the top of the vehicle I will often erect the tent when parked up to dry, even if I've parked on roadside in a city, or supermarket.

The side awning is good for getting out and keeping dry during this, but you can then get wetter packing the awning away. But is liked by wife so go along with it, it doesn't take long, nod is also a good wind deflector in bad weather.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #447593 20th Aug 2015 8:17am
ChrisCM

Hi Guys,
From all the responses it seems that the Autohomes in one form or another are the way to go, now the choice is the Maggi, Columbus and Air Top, I like the look of the Columbus but the Autohomes brochure seems to suggest that, to me counterintuitively, that the Maggi is more stable in high winds than the Columbus (and Air Top.) Is this due to the more positive erection mechanism?

So if I go for the Maggi, which model? I am constrained by my roof rack, I want to keep the expedition rack so will have to go for a small model. Is there that much difference between the basic Air Lander and the Extreme to warrant the extra £4-500?

Who to buy from? Does anyone other than Boab sell them in the UK, I've looked at a number of EU sites and the a Euro price, given the current exchange rate is very tempting. Or do I buy S/H at the end of the season, maybe waiting for the right one which never arrives?

Post #447737 20th Aug 2015 3:54pm
trooper

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tamar Blue
Nice rear awning Landy Andy can I please ask who makes/supplied it.
Post #447751 20th Aug 2015 4:44pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Genuine Landrover tent

This is like the one i had http://www.2040-parts.com/oem-khyam-range-...0-i414422/ California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #447761 20th Aug 2015 5:09pm
Penguin

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Chawton White
ChrisCM wrote:

So if I go for the Maggi, which model? I am constrained by my roof rack, I want to keep the expedition rack so will have to go for a small model.

No you don't Wink
Just place the tent on raised supports. That's what I did since I had the eezi-awns

As for the wind... You can set the tip of the columbus to the direction from where the wind comes Wink 28/02 - Loss of a good friend...

In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.
Post #447765 20th Aug 2015 5:27pm
landy andy

Buy from 4x4 Overlander. He's a strange bloke but will look after you Whistle Whistle Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Andy
Post #447927 21st Aug 2015 8:02am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Oi Andy that is you definitely off the Christmas card list. Razz Worse still you are off the beer list at Peterborough! Laughing

Yes we sell the Autohome roof tents.

Unfortunately the Land Rover expedition rack is not ideal for roof tents. You are better off with either a flat platform rack or bars.

We do have some Autohome side awnings, old style so if anyone interested give me a shout.

Brendan
Post #447948 21st Aug 2015 9:28am
LoveTheMud

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Anyone tried the Front Runner Tent?
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/be...-tent.html

Afraid i've only found it on non-uk sites but I hear they are very good... thinner than most and pops up in a minute or two...

What do we think / have experienced?

Michael
Post #448549 23rd Aug 2015 9:16pm
landy andy

No experience of the tent, but I have of other bits of their kit, so wouldn't risk a tent.
Post #448630 24th Aug 2015 8:54am
LoveTheMud

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Oh well that's off the cards then! Thanks for the heads up!
Post #448638 24th Aug 2015 9:41am
Stef 110

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I've just picked up and installed a second hand James Baroud Space Evolution rooftent yesterday. The former owner used it 2 times, tent is less than one year old.
I compared several of them, Maggiolina versus JB and other makes and models . I must say that I find the quality of a JB tent a lot better than all the rest I've seen, including the different Maggiolina ones.

So , definitely JB !
Post #448899 25th Aug 2015 6:20am
ChrisCM

Hi Guys,

Time to resurrect this thread! I've got a couple of posts on this and another forum looking for a good second hand Hard Shell RTT, so far no joy. That being the case I may buy new. If I do it will probably be a Small Columbus Variant, I do like the look of the James Baroud Discovery Space but it is too wide for my roof rack.

I looked at modifying my rack by cutting off the top rail but that would cause me problems with the fixings for my awning and side lights, and, to be honest I don't really want to! The Columbus would fit nicely between to top rails and not raise the height and hence COG too much.

Can I ask any Columbus owners a favour? I understand that the tent is fixed by means of two C tracks running for and aft. Can you tell me how far from the back of the tent that the C tracks start and what is the distance between them? I am trying to establish whether I will be able to bolt to the rearmost crossbar of the roof rack. I have scoured the Autohome site but those dimensions do not appear.

IF the placement of the C tracks won't work, any views on putting extra cross bars on the top rails of the rack and bolting to them. One advantage, I could get a larger tent (JB) but of course, this will raise the overall height and COG.

Post #494102 19th Jan 2016 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12