↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Still not right!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Still not right!
Well, just nipped out, got back, parked on the drive, a nice pool of oil is forming underneath the Landy now! Looks like it's coming from the gearbox, can't really tell as it's dark.

I guess two days of a smooth gear change has taken it's toll, it's developed a clunk. Again. Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

I'm getting quite fed up of this Land Rover now!
Post #38506 18th Aug 2010 10:48pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
As for the leak, sometimes when overfilled, excess oil comes out thru the vent. And for the clunk check the front propshaft aligment, TC and axle backlash. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #38510 19th Aug 2010 4:07am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Still not right!
warren wrote:
Well, just nipped out, got back, parked on the drive, a nice pool of oil is forming underneath the Landy now! Looks like it's coming from the gearbox, can't really tell as it's dark.

I guess two days of a smooth gear change has taken it's toll, it's developed a clunk. Again. Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

I'm getting quite fed up of this Land Rover now!

Transfer case........... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #38519 19th Aug 2010 8:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
the transfare box seems to confuse land rover mechanics all the time, i think they must all be regulare trained then just have no idea when they see something bolted to the back of the gear box, if you cant tell it drives me mad. thank god i've at least got a defender to drive when its not a freelander loan car Mad
Post #38531 19th Aug 2010 9:22am
merebrowpaul

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
i had a problem with mine yesterday would'nt go into 1st ,5th, or reverse goes in today but cluncks now betwen 1st and 2nd is it going to go t*ts up after only 11000 mile ? Big Cry BETTER TO REGRET THE THINGS YOU'VE DONE THAN REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVE'NT
Post #38534 19th Aug 2010 9:36am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
My whole issue with clunks, after 2 gearboxes and 3 Tboxes was a wrongly setup propshaft!

You can lift the front wheels and turn with the propshaft with your hand (neutral and unlock). The backlash shouldn´t be more than 1/16 ish of a turn.

As for the dodgy 2nd gear, my 2nd gearbox still has it but slightly less. You can try with some MoS2 additive up to 2% (weight solution). Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #38542 19th Aug 2010 11:05am
warren

Well it's back in the garage, again! Oil dripping onto the hot exhaust, they didn't really want me driving it away!

It's on the thinest of thin ice at the mo!

Was on about it with people at work today, when they asked what I'd get instead if I got shut, "Another Defender probably" Rolling Eyes
Post #38602 19th Aug 2010 7:41pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good luck Warren,

Don't get too down-hearted. There are those that have had good ones and bad...the bad ones can be made good through dogged determination and a lot of warranty work and persistance with your dealer.

You will end up with a goodun....hopefully! Mine are crossed for you anyway! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #38605 19th Aug 2010 7:46pm
warren

Yep, just got to keep on persevering I guess. Helps that the local dealers (Hillendale in Nelson) have been providing awesome service... Went in to let them know about the oil leak, they put in on a ramp and didn't really want me driving it off again as oil and hot exhausts don't usually mix well. They had no Freelanders in to lend me, so sorted an Astra out for me there and then to keep me mobile that night, and swapped it for a Freelander this afternoon. Cracking!

I would be amazingly gutted if I did end up having to get shut though... it's weird how much you can get attached to a car Embarassed
Post #38683 20th Aug 2010 10:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1