↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Should I reject my new 110XS due for collection today?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Cadence

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Should I reject my new 110XS due for collection today?
I've been dithering about a new Defender for years but finally made the leap in March. My new 110 XS is ready for collection today.

I really wanted the black pack, however two dealers told me they weren't available due a lack of sawtooth wheels. Both claimed (I believe they were being honest about this) to have an email from LR with this instruction. The dealer offered to spray the boost wheels, roof, grille etc for £2,200 which seemed excessive, so I just order the factory black roof and privacy glass.

I went on the factory tour this Tuesday and guess what? There were plenty of black packs coming off the production line some with Great Britain as the destination. I estimate that 40% of the production I saw had sawtooth wheels fitted. I think the wheels are an essential part of the black look and I'd planned on getting a set after delivery.

I'd noticed over the past 3 months since ordering, that a number of official LR dealers are offering sets of sawtooths for around £1000 excluding tyres and fitting. Indeed my supplying dealer parts department told me yesterday that I could have a set tomorrow! So there's shortage of these wheels.

The cost of this option on the online brochure at the LR site is £715 including the upgraded Goodyear tyres. They still have the black packs and sawtooth wheel options listed on the online brochure and no 'not available' addendum. So buying after taking delivery and paying loads more seems crazy.

LR customer services 'contacted the factory' and later denied there were any black packs being produced and if there were they would be for export. I saw UK bound cars in that spec' and told them to go back and find a solution not excuses.

The new Landmark special edition has a black pack 'exclusive to this model' which is probably the truth of the matter.

Waiting for a call back today, however I had to call their customer services team 4 times to get the previous fob-off, so not overly confident.

Uncertain whether I should 'reject' my car today (if indeed I have any grounds as the dealer has got the car I ordered) and hang tough for a set of wheels at the option price from LR.

Not worried about the other black pack items as they can be changed /sprayed at a later date.

What to do, what to do?
Post #428703 5th Jun 2015 8:37am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
It's just a set of wheels.... there are plenty available elsewhere, use the £2200 you saved and treat yourself to some afterwards.
Don't bite off your nose, to spite your horse to water (whatever the saying is) Mr. Green

Just get a picture of you in your Defender later today Thumbs Up
Post #428705 5th Jun 2015 8:49am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Shocked Unbelievable!! Shocked

Cadence wrote:
I've been dithering about a new Defender for years but finally made the leap in March.

Still dithering by the sound of it and your 'final leap' wasn't perhaps as far as you imagined. Whistle

You are still not sure and by your post sounds like you never really will be. You made your decision and now wish to change your mind at the last minute?

You have entered a contractual agreement and now wish to bow out at the 11th hour? Wipe your minge and 'man-up' or buy a eurobox or a Jeep! Reject it would be my advice (if indeed you can which I doubt) purely on the strength to see what the dealer can do, or appeal to his conscience if indeed he has one explaining your concerns and niggles. If he can't do anything you can live the rest of your life thinking "If only" perhaps?

Cadence wrote:
The dealer offered to spray the boost wheels, roof, grille etc for £2,200 which seemed excessive,

Does your dealer wear a mask and carry a blunderbuss he sounds like a highwayman? It is way off the mark of just being excessive! Laughing

Another alternative would be do as a hell of a lot of other owners.....develop it yourself and modify it exactly to how you want it. As detailed above FFS it's only a set of wheels and a bit of paint that's upsetting you. Apologies if this seems a bit harsh but you are a salesman's nightmare and no I am not a salesman. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 5th Jun 2015 9:27am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #428706 5th Jun 2015 8:50am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Nothing wrong with 'euroboxs'. If you are not happy don't get it. Living with a vehicle that doesn't tick your boxes is not a good place to be. Don't worry about the dealer, they are all lizards and will move your vehicle on within a week, especially due to the perceived lack of last run Defenders out there.
Post #428711 5th Jun 2015 9:15am
K9F

My point (not explained) was that generally Defenders come 'warts 'n' all' if he's not sure now what'll happen when the 'usual suspects' come along or he experiences the usual quirks? Damp footwells, rev hang etc. etc.

No there is nothing much wrong with Euroboxes but his minor gripes (and that is all they are) should have been laid to rest long before now!

Defender ownership really is a 'way of life' for some and it can consume a lot of time and money. Really???? Wheels and paint???? Rejecting on that basis????

Pathetic!

Today he is due to collect exactly what he has signed up to collect! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #428712 5th Jun 2015 9:23am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
True, but everyone is allowed to change their mind!
Post #428713 5th Jun 2015 9:28am
K9F

Laughing Laughing

Agree! Usually it's women, hence the minge reference above! Thumbs Up

Wonder what the dealers perspective will be on this? That's why I could never ever be in sales! Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #428714 5th Jun 2015 9:30am
munch90

England 
why would you want black sawtooths anyway , everyone's getting or got them Rolling with laughter

go for something different ! got to be easiest change to make afterwards

I agree with k9f a bit , if your worried about the wheels wait for the rust,leaks,breakdowns,recalls,bad workmanship gremlins then your have worries
Post #428715 5th Jun 2015 9:33am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Defenders are s h i t e .

I just wish I could live without one....let alone two Whistle
Post #428717 5th Jun 2015 9:39am
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
I think its probably less about the wheels and more about the fact he thinks he has been misled or duped during the ordering process, so although the vehicle due for collection today is what he ordered, he only ordered it because he was told he couldn't have what he wanted!

It may be worth posting a query in the land rover customer relations section and see if Ryan can help. If there are plenty of Sawtooths now available, it shouldn't be too hard for LR to get a set, bolt them on to your new vehicle, and charge you the £715 extra Thumbs Up
Post #428720 5th Jun 2015 9:43am
steve E

Wales 
The part Dept have said they can get the wheels for you so just get a deal on the wheels and pick up the car once they've been fitted.

It really is a case of none us like the way LR are conducting themselves with change of builds etc like they've done on the Heritage HT and with the black pack.
Don't let this spoil your fun.

The Defender is the best motor you can have for the bucks so enjoy Thumbs Up
Post #428722 5th Jun 2015 9:48am
Cadence

Exactly - my gripe is with Land Rover. For me a new car is a rare thing and I plan to keep the Defender long term.

Like most buyers, you want the factory to build the car the brochure sells you. The dealer has been straight with me.

I feel mislead by the factory who have misrepresented a marketing decision as a production issue.

I'll collect the car today and retro fit the wheels etc.

FYI Land Rover customer services manager called me this morning. Apparently the factory said that significant number of cars I saw being produced this week in my preferred spec' 'Must have all been Autobiography models'

I hope their pants are on fire Very Happy
Post #428726 5th Jun 2015 10:08am
K9F

Good decision (I think!) Cool

Nobody appears to have been misled as you state the dealer has been straight with you. What seems to be the issue is that you have 'seen something' at the factory and 'realigned' it to your individual situation making you feel duped or disadvantaged?

2 + 2 may have indeed = 5 in this instance perhaps? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 5th Jun 2015 10:13am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #428728 5th Jun 2015 10:12am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Good decision. Very Happy
Post #428729 5th Jun 2015 10:13am
Cadence

K9F wrote:
Good decision (I think!) Cool

Nobody appears to have been misled as you state the dealer has been straight with you. What seems to be the issue is that you have 'seen something' at the factory and 'realigned' it to your individual situation making you feel duped or disadvantaged?

2 + 2 may have indeed = 5 in this instance perhaps?

Not sure how you arrive at that, however you seem to have plenty of opinions that you extrapolate further

Tried to buy something I was told was unavailable. It turned out to be a lie = 4
Post #428730 5th Jun 2015 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>