↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > End of Defender production date...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Does it really matter?

Cant we just be happy that our beloved vehicles are in SUCH HUGE DEMAND that Land Rover are having to put on 24hr shifts and extend the original final build date which would perhaps make them think twice about its replacement? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #438129 15th Jul 2015 11:31pm
NMBRPL8

Australia 
I have ordered a limited edition with the belief that it would be one of the last opportunities to buy one new.
I wouldnt mind if JLR extended production to 2018 or beyond. Rather , I would advocate for it.
Meeting passenger/pedestrian safety regulations appears to be a possible bar to this.
A couple of years by a couple of competent engineers should be sufficient to adapt the defender to meet future standards.
an aluminium monocoque chassis, alterations to the body that minimise changes to the appearance but meet safety and production process concerns, greater automation of production, and a new engine would go a long way toward that.
if JLR invested the same amount of money modernising the defender as it has spent over the last 20 years developing each of its fleet of hairdresser's cars they would likely see an equivalent return on their investment.
Long live the real landrover.
Post #438145 16th Jul 2015 5:20am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
shaggydog wrote:
Does it really matter?

Cant we just be happy that our beloved vehicles are in SUCH HUGE DEMAND that Land Rover are having to put on 24hr shifts?

Does it really matter - yes to those that thought they were getting a final year/month vehicle.

As to huge demand, I think the figures are higher than JLR anticipated but not to the extent I'd use the word "HUGE" - let's not kid overselves, it's not in the same league as the original over demand for the Evoque.

Also, not read anywhere about 24hr shifts - where are you getting that from?

Don't forget that an official from JLR has already been quoted n the press on this topic and Ryan's answer was:

Ryan@LandRover wrote:
Hi Supacat

Thank you for your post.

I note your query and must advise that Land Rover have made no official announcement regarding an extension to Defender production past December 2015, therefore, I am unable to comment.

Regards

Ryan

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic38303.html?highlight=january

and then someone who works in the factory has posted what they were told in an official meeting. Ryan will never be the outlet for "new" news.

If production does flow over, then there's going to be alot of scrap badges floating around:

Last edited by Supacat on 16th Jul 2015 10:04am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #438184 16th Jul 2015 9:54am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi all

Whilst there appears to be speculation regarding the end of production for the current Defender, end of production remains scheduled for December 2015.

No further official announcement has been made regarding this, therefore I am unable to comment further.

Regards

Ryan
Post #438186 16th Jul 2015 10:01am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thanks Ryan, appreciate the input and that there is no official change as yet Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #438187 16th Jul 2015 10:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi all

Further to my previous post, we have received a further update on this.

Defender production at Solihull is now entering its final phase. We have not confirmed an end date for UK production; however we do not expect this to continue past the end of January 2016.

This is to fulfil higher than expected existing orders that were taken for the current Defender. To clarify, no additional orders have been able to be placed past the cut off date of 26th June 2015.

Regards

Ryan
Post #438189 16th Jul 2015 10:31am
YOLO110

Australia 
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for going the extra mile on this. Yes, it was important to me...

It is of course understandable that given the production capacity at Solihull of the Defender, the increased number of orders taken up to June 26th has resulted in not enough time to make them al by December! So that extension into January is now understood.

Importantly however, I appreciate the additional clarification about no extra orders being taken past the June 26th date so this is not an 'open ended' extension which would have dumbed down the entire 'Celebration' concept...

So, I presume now the history books (and badges?) will now say 1948-2016!

Kind regards,

Peter. YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #438232 16th Jul 2015 12:19pm
YOLO110

Australia 
... and it would be pretty neat to have one of the few Defenders manufactured in 2016! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #438233 16th Jul 2015 12:22pm
shaggydog

Embarassed I didn't mean any offense by it.

I suppose what I meant was isn't it great that the Defender is getting signed off with full order books and a busy production line rather than the last 3 months of production having lots of defenders being assembled in the hope someone may buy one?

The 24hr shifts bit was I believe in the article linked to earlier (though that may just be journalistic speculation)

Ether way, well done to those who have got one on order Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #438553 17th Jul 2015 1:00pm
YOLO110

Australia 
None taken by me mate. Smile

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

Yes, it's great there have been so many orders. Sad it's all coming to an end. It would be neat to have one of the few Jan 2016 build vehicles! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #438555 17th Jul 2015 1:07pm
shaggydog

Quote:
None taken by me mate. Smile

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

Yes, it's great there have been so many orders. Sad it's all coming to an end. It would be neat to have one of the few Jan 2016 build vehicles! Cool

Quite agree Thumbs Up

Sadly I wont be in a position to get one for now, but maybe in a few years I can pick up something interesting Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #438557 17th Jul 2015 1:11pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It was wrote about some years back that 110 -130 would stay in production till 2017.
Guess if it could pass a crash test or two!

Anyway I am off for a turkey sandwich that should keep me going for a while.
Post #438642 17th Jul 2015 9:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12