Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Commanded Value on Defender 2.2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fcsteenkamp

South Africa 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Bronze Green
EGR Commanded Value on Defender 2.2
Hello to all.

I have recently noticed on my UG (Ultra Gauge) that the EGR% Flow never goes lower than 20%, but it does fluctuate. When I unplug the EGR sensor, the commanded value is then constant on 20% with an EGR error % of 58.6%.

There are no trouble codes logged and after doing a diagnostics on the MAP and MAF they also seem fine according to Land Rover Dealership.

What could be the reason for this and where does that reading of 20% comes from if the sensor is plugged out...?
Post #437590 14th Jul 2015 7:24am
MartyDiBergi

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Santorini Black
Hi all,

Similar to OP, I have been trying to diagnose a potential EGR issue using my IID Tool. I have noticed that on my 2.2 tdci, when the commanded EGR position is 0% the actual position never goes below 15%. When commanded position is greater than 15% then the actual position matches. There are no related fault codes or warning lights.

Is anyone able to confirm if this is expected, or if it is a sign of a clogged/faulty EGR, or something else?

Thanks!
Post #899764 23rd Apr 2021 10:38pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Did you figure this out?

Mine is the same, never drops below 14% even when commanded value is 0%.
Post #908388 18th Jun 2021 7:25am
MartyDiBergi

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Santorini Black
Not exactly. But I had a new EGR valve fitted and the same thing occurs, so I think it is probably ‘normal’. The people who tried to completely blank off the EGR early on found that doing so triggered a warning light. So maybe this is LRs hack to avoid the EGR triggering its own fault detection. It’s a mystery!
Post #908391 18th Jun 2021 7:46am
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Thanks, that's really helpful, one less mystery for me to worry about. Smile
Post #908496 18th Jun 2021 11:18pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
MartyDiBergi wrote:
Not exactly. But I had a new EGR valve fitted and the same thing occurs, so I think it is probably ‘normal’. The people who tried to completely blank off the EGR early on found that doing so triggered a warning light. So maybe this is LRs hack to avoid the EGR triggering its own fault detection. It’s a mystery!

In order to lower NOx (with respect to the 2.4) you need to rise the part of exhaust gas (cooling it down).
This strategy rises sooth (of course).

That's why you need a DPF (amongst some other aspects) and short distance trips are really bad for EURO5 cars.

After all it's EU homologation ...
Post #908822 21st Jun 2021 7:44pm
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Reading the topic - My UG shows always 0 for EGR. Does it mean I have some sensor not connected?

I'm struggling with the EGR again. It was replaced because of checkengine error (by previous owner, so I don't know details), millage ~100kkm. Then 12kkm later I start to have issues with P0405 error. It happened after long ride on highway with 120+ speed. Error occurred from time to time, then more often, then check engine appeared. Service recommended the change of EGR, suggesting previous valve was from older, more faulty series. This time we installed latest-greatest version, shortly after I had to replace also EGR Cooler, few months ago. Now I just run the trip from Norway to Poland, Maybe 4kkm after the EGR replacement. After 400km on highway with speed 120km+, famous P0405 appeared again. From that time is stays as Pending error, no check engine yet. However, full analogy of previous case.
I cannot believe another EGR failed.

Can you advice what could be the root cause of the issue? Doesn't this car like to run few hundred km with higher speed or so?
And why UG is not showing any parameters?

Appreciate for any suggestions
Post #909005 22nd Jun 2021 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1