↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Australia & New Zealand > corrugation western desert, wich Rover is best
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
furianer

Switzerland 
corrugation western desert, wich Rover is best
Morning, sorry im not most active member of this forum, just got back to Switzerland after traveling the western deserts of WA for 3 months.
Our transport is a trusty old 300tdi Disco, good dear old thing.
What we have noticed over the last 25years, the bush tracks are getting a lot more traffic then what there used to be, consequently tracks become more and more corrugated.
Maybe it is just me and getting on in live, used to do our bush trips in a SIII 109, it was a superb machine in the bush.
About 10 years ago i updated to a Discovery what a experience, fuel economy comfort all greatly improved.
Now it feels like that the Discovery is becoming a bouncy old truck on the long an remote trips we do.
Replaced the complete suspension, the ride did not improve that much. The run up on some of the dunes (canning stock for example) are getting quite choppy,
Why do people have to bring trailers kitchen sinks and 400 horse power into this precious places.

What is your experience with Land Rovers and corrugations, wich model rides best and is still suitable for remote travels.
www.stolz-rostfrei.ch/travel

thanks, and all the best for 2015

Richard
Post #382644 28th Dec 2014 2:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AlanH

Australia 
Hi Richard.
We've had 3 110s (not sure what that says about our sanity Laughing ) and a 300Tdi Disco and find the longer vehicle is best for rough roads.
You're right that there's more traffic...much much more including "Fritz in his Britz" going at warp speed to see it all in a fortnight. Shocked
The Cook and I do lots of trips on our own and just take it steady, sometimes with a van, sometimes just a tent, but always let the tyres down when on dirt especially when there are corrugations.
Plenty of drivers won't do it though believing that high pressure stops punctures and they won't listen to any argument saying otherwise.
The heroes in their big engine vehicles ripping up the dunes are the worst at everything, arrogant ignorant and quite often thick.
Ooops! Does that show some sort of prejudice on my part?
Safe travels.
AlanH.
Post #421497 6th May 2015 8:21am
DiscoMick

Australia 
Yep, big muddies are digging holes and causing worse corrugations, partiularly if the drivers refuse to drop pressures down to 16-20 in the sand. Ironically, ATs are actually better than MTs in the sand, but people like the big tough look. Can a Disco mix it with a Defender?
Post #435883 5th Jul 2015 10:07am
newhue

Australia 
What shocks have you put in. If they are a firmish like Bilsteins than the ride is going to be harsher than Koni for example. Shocks labeled as HD and XHD is a real guessing game unless you know the Psi to Inch rating of them. Then you need to know what a standard dico's rate is, and work from there on load and desired comfort. Spring rates also are a big part of comfort, and the same deal. None of this can be worked out until you know how much you loaded truck weighs and how much at each end.

In saying this however, I love my set up but find the whoop-ti- do's up dunes frustratingly boring. Corrugations are all part of the deal. Perhaps look at it as a challenge to find lesser travelled routes. But as as mentioned Psi is a huge part. Good quality tyres allows you to run 16 all day long loaded up under 35-40km/h. I have BFG muds and run 23 and 26 at 85 to 90km/h with a 3.5t truck on the arterial roads and find corrugations liveable. My Defender and travels
Post #436003 5th Jul 2015 9:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1