Home > In Car Electronics > Disapointing Audio Upgrade :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Disapointing Audio Upgrade :-(
Hi All

In my continuing attempt to sink the equivelnt of the Greek national debt into my 2014 XS 90 Stationwagon I've upgraded the standard audio as follows:

Alpine SWE-1200 Active Sub - This is bolted to the cubby.
2 sets of Alpine SXE-1-25S - 4" 2-way drive units - Replacing the standard front and rears.

Alas though I've been disapointed by the results. Its certainly loud enough but the sound seems incredibly flat with a very poor mid range and trebble.

I'm now considering changing the head unit? or perhaps my choice of speakers was poor?

Or is it just my expectations from an aluminium can body are just too high?

Hurrumph!

Barney
Post #431601 17th Jun 2015 1:20pm
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I think definitely upgrade the HU and also think about amping the speakers.
Post #431635 17th Jun 2015 3:22pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
4" speakers will never be great no matter what make. They are simply too small to produce a great sound range.

You should adapt the rears to a 6x9" setup at the least Thumbs Up Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #431636 17th Jun 2015 3:26pm
Browjam

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
I made exactly the same upgrades and I was impressed initially on the sound improvement (over the factory spec). Fast forward a few months and the sound now feels lacklustre. If your 90 has the rubberised matting like mine, rather than carpet, then I suspect we will always find this a challenge.

Changing the head unit may improve the sound but probably not enough to justify the expense. Bigger speakers in the back will help too but at the end of the day we are driving a big tin can and nothing short of spending a fortune on sound insulation or lining the cargo/passenger area with old egg boxes will help.

At the end of the day it is a Defender, perhaps we should concede defeat? If we really want to listen to dulcet tones when driving perhaps we should buy a Freelander (sorry Defender Sport)?

However if you do come up with a solution I would love to hear it Very Happy

James
Post #431641 17th Jun 2015 3:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
"4" speakers will never be great no matter what make. They are simply too small to produce a great sound range. "

Very true, or keep them all and add extra again on too Amped such as a sub with good output and 6x9's.
No point amping 10cm / 4" speakers.
13cm is possible all around but involves cutting the dash and really you'd need those amped as they require a higher,output than the HU produces.
The HU it's self doesn't produce much power at all and is suited to 10cm size speakers.
If you are using a LR stereo then you'd find if swapped it'd be improved straight away.

I am really not an Alpine fan at all personally, I'd never have their gear as I don't like the quality in many aspects.
And certainly not the price for what you get.
Post #431642 17th Jun 2015 3:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Browjam wrote:
Changing the head unit may improve the sound but probably not enough to justify the expense. Bigger speakers in the back will help too but at the end of the day we are driving a big tin can and nothing short of spending a fortune on sound insulation or lining the cargo/passenger area with old egg boxes will help.

However if you do come up with a solution I would love to hear it Very Happy

James

Yes, more power and more sound insulation. Oh and more power. Whistle Rolling with laughter

You'd be surprised what audio power and current the Defender can produce no problem unlike many cars using powerful amps unless they do "the big three upgrade"

The stumbling blocks are A. Cost primarily and B. Finding the room and locations to fit of which most needs to be bespoke built to personal ideas / inclination.
Post #431643 17th Jun 2015 3:56pm
Barney12

Thanks for the replies guys. So where is the consensus for best placing of 6x9's?

I've got a full carpet set to fit in due course so now is the time to run cabling for additional speakers and/or an amp so I'm future proofed as far as possible.

Last edited by Barney12 on 17th Jun 2015 6:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #431686 17th Jun 2015 6:19pm
Barney12

custom90steve wrote:

The HU it's self doesn't produce much power at all and is suited to 10cm size speakers.
If you are using a LR stereo then you'd find if swapped it'd be improved straight away.

He Steve, any recomendation on a single din HU?
Post #431688 17th Jun 2015 6:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What features are you looking for?
Post #431693 17th Jun 2015 6:36pm
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I went through the same pain as you (and same MY2014 XS). Mine now has carpet, focal speakers (4", not 6" + separate Focal tweeters in the front) and the Alpine 1200 Sub. I think the biggest improvement was actually upgrading the HU to the Alpine 178BT, mainly because it supports the Alpine TuneIt app on my phone. And it was an easy swap.

A mate of mine pretty much replaced everything in his with much larger speakers and separate amp/sub which filled the whole of his cubby. Sounds great but cost a fortune.... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #431697 17th Jun 2015 6:50pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
As far as speakers go, a round speaker is more efficient than a 6x9. The oval size of the 6x9 makes it more versatile to fit into oblong spaces, but a good quality 6" round speaker would usually fit in the same space. Add a satellite tweeter and crossover and you will outperform the 6x9.
Post #431728 17th Jun 2015 8:14pm
Barney12

custom90steve wrote:

I make heavy use of my iPhone 6 for calls and music so good integration with that is probably the only key factor.
I've read about CarPlay but never seen it in action.

Sat nav would be nice but hardly essential in a Defender. Again Maps on the iPhone is sufficient.

Oh and I only ever listed to Radio 2 in the car so DAB far from needed.

Ta

Barney
Post #431729 17th Jun 2015 8:22pm
Barney12

redzob wrote:
I I think the biggest improvement was actually upgrading the HU to the Alpine 178BT,.

Out of interest are the connections on all the Alpine heads the same. Thus a straight swap?
Post #431730 17th Jun 2015 8:24pm
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Yes, it was a straight swap. The biggest two faffs I had was the power/audio to the subwoofer and installing the crossover units for the tweeters. The HU was easy, although the USB/Aux comes out of the rear unlike the 133, so I ran an extension cable down to the small left shelf area under the steering wheel.

Interestingly (?) this USB connection is great for charging the phone compared to a USB 12v cig lighter socket. I tried a few of these and they all caused radio interference (inc. some quite expensive ones). I still use bluetooth to connect everything up as my phone now gives me seamless music, satnav (Co-Pilot Live) and handsfree phone. Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #431735 17th Jun 2015 8:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Barney12 wrote:
custom90steve wrote:

I make heavy use of my iPhone 6 for calls and music so good integration with that is probably the only key factor.
I've read about CarPlay but never seen it in action.

Sat nav would be nice but hardly essential in a Defender. Again Maps on the iPhone is sufficient.

Oh and I only ever listed to Radio 2 in the car so DAB far from needed.

Ta

Barney

Have a look at this: http://www.incarmusic.co.uk/avh-x7700bt-pi...tereo.html
Check compatibility with iPhone 6 though as they are relatively new. Kenwood single DIN flip outs are discontinued. Sad
Most are going 2 DIN of which the Defender isn't as standard so the 2 DIN dash is over £200 so you could spend £600+ just for quality kit these days or £1000 + for everything.
What ever you get it'll be out of date in 6months these days, as far as I'm concerned so long as it works well and sound quality is good then it does it for me.
All outputs etc required does make things easier and better to control at a later stage if you add upgrades to the system.
Post #431773 17th Jun 2015 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>