↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Should it stay or should it go now . . .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BBSJK

England 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Should it stay or should it go now . . .
Does anyone know if there are many updates in the MY11 comparred to the MY09? I'm just doing the numbers in deciding whether to change with the reduced VED in mind. I was planning on keeping the truck for 10 years+. Ten years at £435 comparred to ten years at £200 might be worth changing? My local stealer has come back with a change price and its a bit more than I'd hoped. Crying or Very sad

Anyone interested in an 0858 110 SW XS private Whistle !

Jonathan No the other left . . .
Post #37720 6th Aug 2010 7:21pm
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Should it stay or should it go now . . .
BBSJK wrote:
Does anyone know if there are many updates in the MY11 comparred to the MY09? I'm just doing the numbers in deciding whether to change with the reduced VED in mind. I was planning on keeping the truck for 10 years+. Ten years at £435 comparred to ten years at £200 might be worth changing? My local stealer has come back with a change price and its a bit more than I'd hoped. Crying or Very sad

Anyone interested in an 0858 110 SW XS private Whistle !

Jonathan

Only the ABS (if you want it) that from MY11 is Bosch (and cheeper) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #37721 6th Aug 2010 7:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
ABS, tyres and side steps, V5 catergory and some GVW changes to change the VED etc. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #37745 7th Aug 2010 8:26pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I looked at this exact thing and concluded to go from an 08 to an 11 wasnt worth the additional cost and didnt yeild the benefits (with possible exception to the extra warranty - but noting that the warranty would be needed on a car with its own list of faults)

Plus im not entirely convinced they are actually any better built and/or whether some parts are not cheaper versions of the earlier versions.

As mentioned, the theoretical load has increased, you can now selected a new range of tyres if you want, the ABS has changed (not that you would notice).

Basically if you had an XS you already "theoretically not legally" have everything to carry the load - they just revised it up (as they all now have the HD suspension the XS has) - what this has done is reduced (EG 110 DC) or maintained the GVW overall - to provide the rear load weight...so its not win/win for all. there is some stuff about roll bars.

They have redesigned and or fitted different mouldings/sidesteps/brake lights

You need to pay for the hood on pickups

Some colour changes and vat changes, not to mention Road tax Mike
Post #37774 9th Aug 2010 8:17am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
how have they changed the brake lights Mike 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #37775 9th Aug 2010 8:24am
mse

Grockle wrote:
how have they changed the brake lights Mike

All models now get a high central Mike
Post #37782 9th Aug 2010 10:57am
jst

if you use it off road much/at all, i think you will notice the improvements in the TC. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #37794 9th Aug 2010 2:53pm
mse

jst wrote:
if you use it off road much/at all, i think you will notice the improvements in the TC.

I had TC on yesterday assisting me with a steep hill climb - i cant say ive ever noticied it being lacking!

Reading the blurb the TC/ABS has not changed, there is no increase in operation or performance from WABCO - just different parts Mike
Post #37796 9th Aug 2010 3:14pm
jst

mse wrote:
jst wrote:
if you use it off road much/at all, i think you will notice the improvements in the TC.

I had TC on yesterday assisting me with a steep hill climb - i cant say ive ever noticied it being lacking!

Reading the blurb the TC/ABS has not changed, there is no increase in operation or performance from WABCO - just different parts

its certainly different, i would suggest the blurb is incorrect.

i have found the current TC to be lacking at times, the way it cuts in can be too harsh and for too long for starters - taking a vehicle to stall on TC is not ideal!! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #37819 9th Aug 2010 10:24pm
mse

jst wrote:
mse wrote:
jst wrote:

Reading the blurb the TC/ABS has not changed, there is no increase in operation or performance from WABCO - just different parts

i have found the current TC to be lacking at times, the way it cuts in can be too harsh and for too long for starters - taking a vehicle to stall on TC is not ideal!!

Thats certainly not how mine operates, so maybe there was a fault with your car?

Ive had TC on a few times on both low and high speed operations eg: careful slippery surfaces and hill climbs, everytime its been perfect. Just like the other land rovers. Same on the Company protection ones ive driven and when ive been in the experience 110

Just for info a quick pull of the line is
 Mike
Post #37853 10th Aug 2010 5:10pm
BBSJK

England 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Well if any one is interested there is a very nice 110 on eBay at the moment!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:MESELX:IT

We were planning on keeping the car over 10 years so this helps the change price. The money still doesn't quite work out but I begrudge paying Mr Chancellor any more than I have to!

The TC on ours has been good. It always activates when pulling off the curb and it was a bit agressive in the snow but otherwise OK.

Fingers crossing I'll be in the dealers next weekend! Thumbs Up

Jonathan No the other left . . .
Post #37861 10th Aug 2010 8:03pm
jst

mse wrote:
jst wrote:
mse wrote:
jst wrote:

i have found the current TC to be lacking at times, the way it cuts in can be too harsh and for too long for starters - taking a vehicle to stall on TC is not ideal!!

Thats certainly not how mine operates, so maybe there was a fault with your car?

Ive had TC on a few times on both low and high speed operations eg: careful slippery surfaces and hill climbs, everytime its been perfect. Just like the other land rovers. Same on the Company protection ones ive driven and when ive been in the experience 110

Just for info a quick pull of the line is

i understand all that and take on board what you are saying. For 90% of the time you wouldn't notice the difference with the new TC. The old system works fine and i am not belittling it. but the new system is better now they have finally finished revising it, we did an interesting video clip of the first Bosch TC demo vehicle - lets just say you could tell it was the first iteration!!! What they have done now is far more refined than the current system in my experience.

There is certainly no fault with the TC in my (58 plate) vehicle it behaves as it was designed to do, Bosch have just made theirs better. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #37867 10th Aug 2010 9:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1