↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Need some advice regarding ICE for a rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
Need some advice regarding ICE for a rebuild
I need some component advice regarding a rebuild i'm doing on a 90. I'd like to get all the ICE sorted before the interior goes in etc so any advice would be much appreciated as I am totally new to this. Firstly, starting out i'd like everything other than the double din head unit discreet so what I was thinking is installing little tweeters into the fake air vents in the top of this RDX command console (pictured below obviously lol) I am about to install.

When you pop out the fake air vents the hole across measures just 5 1/2cm but can be widened to possibly 6 1/2cm. I thought this would be an ideal space to install tweeters as i've been told they should be located at the front of the vehicle anyway and the air vents do Censored all and are just for show. Does that sound ok?

My wife has set her mind on a double din android head unit so she can use her Sygic sat nav and her phone/music through blue tooth without having any extra boxes installed so that's non negotiable. She likes the aSure double din android 4.4.4 GPS HD.

The rest like amp and speakers I need advice on also. What would you guys who are well up on your sounds recommend? I've been looking at In-Phase components like the XTC 13.2 directional speakers and the IPA Amps which look good value for money. I want her to have a really nice sound in there but it doesn't need to feel like the Royal Philharmonic are in the back playing if you know what I mean. Also, should I put a sub in there too? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Post #429722 9th Jun 2015 12:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Is there already a tweeter set fitted?
Post #429725 9th Jun 2015 1:00pm
chrispy

All that's fitted this far is a LR cd player and the two speakers under the dash.
Post #429731 9th Jun 2015 1:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You might find mounting on the dash in the same orientation as the Puma Defenders better.
Not only does it look more factory but it will sound better as the locations are each side of the vehicle not near the middle.
Think balance and fade where you can adjust sound level front or rear side to side.

As far as I'm aware it'd be an easy enough job.
Tweeters in Defenders tend to be 1"
You'll also need an in-line x over, most tweeters do have these anyway or are built in - usually in-line.

Are you intending to fit rear speakers too? I'm assuming yes, so is there OE wiring present but tucked away maybe?

Once these things are sorted you can move on to other bits then too. Thumbs Up
Post #429747 9th Jun 2015 3:34pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I think the high notes would be a bit overpowering if placed there and I don't know if you'd find tweeters that size as most are roughly an inch wide. I placed mine here to get the best sound being quite wide apart as Steve says.

Click image to enlarge
 Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #429749 9th Jun 2015 3:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's the locations I was describing, looks neat functions well.
Tweeters are 1" in size max a a rule or smaller.
Post #429754 9th Jun 2015 3:59pm
chrispy

custom90steve wrote:
You might find mounting on the dash in the same orientation as the Puma Defenders better.
Not only does it look more factory but it will sound better as the locations are each side of the vehicle not near the middle.
Think balance and fade where you can adjust sound level front or rear side to side.

As far as I'm aware it'd be an easy enough job.
Tweeters in Defenders tend to be 1"
You'll also need an in-line x over, most tweeters do have these anyway or are built in - usually in-line.

Are you intending to fit rear speakers too? I'm assuming yes, so is there OE wiring present but tucked away maybe?

Once these things are sorted you can move on to other bits then too. Thumbs Up

No wiring in the rear of the vehicle whatsoever Steve. I see what you and mk1collector are saying about the tweeters, I just thought I could utilise the fake air vents in her new centre console. What do you think of the in phase equipment? Is it any good? I have a decent enough budget but don't want to go mental and overboard.

Any suggestions for use of the fake air vents?
Post #429762 9th Jun 2015 4:55pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi Chrispy,
I'd agree with everyone else, tweeters will sound better in the top of the dash, at each end.
If you want to put something in place of the fake vents, would turbo pressure and oil pressure gauges fit? Or any other combination of standard 2" dia gauge.
Post #429859 9th Jun 2015 11:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It's a good idea in principle but not only are they too centralised but they will be far too close you you and passenger and you'll mostly hear high notes which isn't pleasant for too long!

Perhaps a clock one side and temp the other or as suggested above.

If there is no wiring present then you'll have to hard wire it and check the plug connections.
Is it ISO DIN plugs on the Defender or are they year specific? If year specific and you want and aftermarket HU / stereo then you'll need to do a bit or wiring anyway so would be the ideal time.

Drop me a 'PM' if you'd like to discuss in depth detail / budget maybe rather than in public?

Wiring a DIN plug / socket isn't difficult if you have the right items to hand and connections available to tap into.

Off to bed now! Whistle
Post #429868 10th Jun 2015 1:02am
chrispy

I'll PM you later on Steve if you don't mind and many thanks to you and everyone else offering advice, it's much appreciated.
Post #429883 10th Jun 2015 7:33am
scotiach

Switzerland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Scotia Grey
Another option for your fake vents are the so-called 'full-range' or 'mid-range' 2"-3" drivers such as the HAT L3 for example. These can play the upper end alright without tweeters, and in the position you're talking about would be on-axis (straight at the listener - a good thing). There's a list of such speakers here for your reference - there's loads of them. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/midrange/.

The stock Puma tweeter location, reflecting off the windscreen, is sub-optimal, but standard 1" tweeters can often be bought nowadays with housings that direct them to the listener, but the windows and windscreen still create lots of reflections. If you're not fussy, not a big problem. Plus, the crossover is usually part of the component set.

The reason I mention all this is that I might be fitting a set of 2-3" midranges in my stock air vents, and wanted to let you know that this is a viable option which should sound good, especially if your air vents are non-functional anyway. One thing though is that you would have to hi/lo pass these off a dedicated pair of amp channels, alongside your usual set-up.
Post #431094 15th Jun 2015 5:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
scotiach wrote:

The stock Puma tweeter location, reflecting off the windscreen, is sub-optimal, but standard 1" tweeters can often be bought nowadays with housings that direct them to the listener, but the windows and windscreen still create lots of reflections. If you're not fussy, not a big problem. Plus, the crossover is usually part of the component set.

I have those on mine the adapters for my Kicker tweets, I didn't fit them though because I don't like how they look more than anything else as they will sit proud if you don't flush mount them.
You are right about the screen though but there's little point worrying about such things in a Defender what ever you do as it'll never be a perfect set up due to road and mostly engine noise.
Post #431112 15th Jun 2015 7:31pm
chrispy

That's a very good idea @scotiach, i'll take a look at that later. @customsteve sorry for the delay, i've sent you a few messages from my iPad but it's not working for some reason. Anyway, i've just sent you a PM with hopefully an image of the correct connector. Let me know when you get a chance and so sorry for the delay.
Post #431144 15th Jun 2015 8:34pm
chrispy

scotiach wrote:
Another option for your fake vents are the so-called 'full-range' or 'mid-range' 2"-3" drivers such as the HAT L3 for example. These can play the upper end alright without tweeters, and in the position you're talking about would be on-axis (straight at the listener - a good thing). There's a list of such speakers here for your reference - there's loads of them. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/midrange/.

The reason I mention all this is that I might be fitting a set of 2-3" midranges in my stock air vents, and wanted to let you know that this is a viable option which should sound good, especially if your air vents are non-functional anyway. One thing though is that you would have to hi/lo pass these off a dedicated pair of amp channels, alongside your usual set-up.

Thumbs Up
Post #431146 15th Jun 2015 8:36pm
scotiach

Switzerland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Scotia Grey
custom90steve wrote:

You are right about the screen though but there's little point worrying about such things in a Defender what ever you do as it'll never be a perfect set up due to road and mostly engine noise.

No car audio is perfect due to the nature of the space you're filling, and the noise in a Defender can be easily addressed (and results measured) with more soundproofing on the floor and/or more watts to the speakers. For audio sound quality you have three basic options in any car:
1) Save yourself the money and trouble and buy a good home set-up, and listen to R4 in the car
2) Provide a pair of headphones for the driver and each passenger in the car
3) Compromise - Sufficient decibels produced as cleanly as possible from the least bad position in the car

Option 3 is a sliding scale with decreasing returns on investment. But it's a hobby and keeps folks off the street of an evening.
Post #431262 16th Jun 2015 9:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1