Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Rear Mudflaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
Watts - please share with the group how you get on with this Thumbs Up

Nowt! Diddly squit, absolute silence was the response! After the initial flurry with two consecutive threads. Read into that what you will but it would have been nice to know perhaps?

Thumbs Up Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #431566 17th Jun 2015 9:45am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
munch90 wrote:
The early ones had a stiffener inside the flap , surely its worth fitting something similar to prevent it happenning

Something like this

eBay Item No. 221191801731

Silly question but where do the stiffeners fit?
Post #431575 17th Jun 2015 10:20am
watts

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
K9F: Give me a Bl**dly break! Have you ever thought that treating other forum members like idiots, immediately telling them to search forum topics on every subject that has remotely been discussed before is conducive to a popular interactive forum..

I would love to hear how you have 'read' into the situation by me not answering to a post for a few days!

" Thumbs Up "

Supacat: I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, LR customer services contacted the dealer and I think they were worried about how they handled the customer relations side of things so they (the dealer) offered replacements as a goodwill gesture. I was hoping to achieve replacements through JLR as I feel this is a warranty issue rather than a dealership one due to factory/dealer fitted towbar.

Pete: Thats very interesting on how many replacements you've received and I totally agree, fit for purpose?

Munch: true!

SimonDavies: Would be interested on how you end up tackling this, I think I'm just going to have to make some kind of bracket and tie them up when towing! Bit of a pain really.
Post #431595 17th Jun 2015 12:33pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Perception is a wonderful trait....What makes you think I think you're an idiot? No need to reply.

Thumbs Up

Glad you got a set as a goodwill jesture. Excellent result under the circumstances! Look after them! Cool If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #431683 17th Jun 2015 6:14pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Watts.

I've had 5 sets from my dealer at no charge. Not sure how they did it financially at their end with warranty or paid for them out of their own sales profits, but on all instances its cost me nothing.

Today I got a set of 90 once and I've fitted the rob nuts to the rear cross member like on a 90 so this has moved them back on my 110 by about 4". Tomorrow I'll have to modify the exhaust to make it side exit and not rear exit but need to find some 90 exhaust pictures to get the same alignment.

Pete.

Ps. Anyone got a 90 they can show me where the exhaust finishes on please. My 110 shown here sort of picture angle of poss.

Click image to enlarge
Post #431692 17th Jun 2015 6:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
midlife

Ireland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
If you want under give a shout.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #431698 17th Jun 2015 6:50pm
bell-auto-services

Thank you.

Could you do me one looking down the body to the exhaust so I can see how far it protrudes.
Post #431700 17th Jun 2015 6:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
midlife

Ireland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
One from back. One from above.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #431703 17th Jun 2015 7:02pm
munch90

England 
Supacat wrote:
munch90 wrote:
The early ones had a stiffener inside the flap , surely its worth fitting something similar to prevent it happenning

Something like this

eBay Item No. 221191801731

Silly question but where do the stiffeners fit?

in the ebay pic , the flat strip with curve in it uses the 3 bolts that hold the flap to the bracket and fit inside the flap
Think if i remember right the inside bit goes down a bit lower inside flap than the ontside bracket maybe stppoing it going forward a bit
Post #431704 17th Jun 2015 7:15pm
watts

Thanks Pete, very kind.

Looks like Midlife has beaten me to it but below is a shot from inside rear arch to rear which may help further:

Click image to enlarge

I think Munch's stiffener examples made for new Puma MF's will be the more convenient way to go rather than tying them back, going to get something made and fit to the rear top half of the flap.
Post #431710 17th Jun 2015 7:33pm
bell-auto-services

Thank you all for the pictures they are a great help. It also hi lights my thoughts in that I was given a weird read Id flap for the exhaust side as the one I've got has no cut out in it and looks an exact mirror image of the non exhaust side with no cut out.

Grrrr. Back to the dealers tomorrow.
Post #431723 17th Jun 2015 7:48pm
watts

Sounds like a TDI replacement rear flap, does it look thicker at the top half than your puma original?
Post #431724 17th Jun 2015 7:51pm
bell-auto-services

Im not actually sume come to think of it,, Ill have a look in the morning but I think your right. TDI sounds plausable.

Pete
Post #431745 17th Jun 2015 9:03pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
In Aus, we mainly have the "Melting" mudflap issue, as our exhausts exit via the rear, and when cruising at around 90/100kph, the mudflap blows up into the path of the hot exhaust gases, and......starts to melt around the edges of the cutout!
Gracie's done around 22000ks, & whilst the flap is still serviceable, it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts!
Pickles.
Post #431786 17th Jun 2015 10:30pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Martin, interesting yours is all fine.

I am guessing that the reason is that in the UK, people are allowed by law to drive at the sensible speed limits on the motorways, heaven forbid even exceed them at times, without getting stopped by some 'speed kills' mad cop and fined thousands of dollars, or even thrown into jail for being a reckless danger to society! But when you potter around in Melbourne with your eyes transfixed on the speedo, rather than looking out the window and observing potential external road hazards, daring not to exceed the speed limit it by even 3 kph (1.8 mph), the mud-flaps just don't blow up onto the hot exhaust.

(Sorry for the thread drift, yes rant, but I was fined over $300 for doing 104 kph in a 100 kph zone, on the empty 4 lane Eastern Link freeway at 07.30 on a Sunday morning!!) MADNESS! Twisted Evil YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #431808 17th Jun 2015 11:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>