Home > Td5 > Engine hesitating and then into Limp Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WorcsTD5

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Engine hesitating and then into Limp Mode
Hi,

I've been having a recurring problem over the last few weeks.

My 2004 90 CSW (149,000 miles) starts, drives and sounds OK but every now and then the engine misses a beat and then goes into Limp Mode. A quick restart usually gets it going again.

This morning the hesitation was more definite, the engine almost lurched and the light came on. Restarted and drove off. Whilst driving, the engine coughed again a couple of times but kept going and then about 20 minutes later hesitated again and went into Limp Mode. This time I got out, sprayed the Wastegate Actuator with WD40 and moved it using pliers. Engine restarted and the rest of the journey (about another 20 minutes) was problem free.

The fault usually happens when I'm driving steadily at around 50 mph but seems to only happen randomly.

So far I've:

Changed the injector harness (I found oil in the ECU plug which is now clean)
Sprayed the Wastegate Actuator with WD40 - I found this problem online and had a look at mine. At first there was no movement, now it's still very stiff but I can move it about 1/4", how much movement should I be looking for?

My next thought is to change the fuel filter...?

This is really bugging me now, ANY helpful advice would be very much appreciated

Bizarrely this only happens in the morning!

Any ideas, please?
Post #428332 3rd Jun 2015 2:16pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Might be worth having a look at the tightness of the connections on the relays under the drivers seat, pop the MAF sensor off the air pipe from the air cleaner box. Check to see if the fuel cap is venting properly, just undo it steadily to see if you get a sudden inrush of air.
Ideally it wouldn't hurt to stick it on some diagnostic kit to see if anything shows up, if the engine management light comes on then there will be a fault code registered.
Post #428336 3rd Jun 2015 2:40pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Have the codes read on it and go from there. You can guess at it all day long. If its chucking the MIL lamp on you'll have something logged on it.
Post #428416 3rd Jun 2015 8:03pm
WorcsTD5

Thanks for the replies and you're right, I should get the codes read. What with work etc getting access to a reader is problematic. Just looking for things I can be looking at whilst on the hard shoulder (again) Very Happy

the joys of owning a Defender Very Happy

Thanks again for your time
Post #428420 3rd Jun 2015 8:18pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
In my experience, not many things will put the MIL lamp on on a Td5. They're a robust old beast and can run very well even with major electrical problems. The only 2 things I've ever seen put the lamp on are crank sensor faults and throttle pedal (driver demand) faults. 90% of the time its the wiring associated with one of those 2 components. If it were one of mine I'd get the faults read, make a note, clear them and take it for a blast to get the fault to happen again. See which codes reappear.
Post #428451 3rd Jun 2015 10:06pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I had a similar problem on my Td5. Turned out the TPS (throttle position sensor) was knackered. Tended to happen when things had warmed up a bit in the cab; the tracks in the potentiometer were expanding and getting out of place, sending the wrong signals to the ECU. I guess it could happen when cold too depending on the way it's worn? I changed the throttle pedal assembly and all was fine... Might be worth considering, took me ages to find out. Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #428472 3rd Jun 2015 11:24pm
WorcsTD5

Fatboy Slim wrote:
In my experience, not many things will put the MIL lamp on on a Td5. They're a robust old beast and can run very well even with major electrical problems. The only 2 things I've ever seen put the lamp on are crank sensor faults and throttle pedal (driver demand) faults. 90% of the time its the wiring associated with one of those 2 components. If it were one of mine I'd get the faults read, make a note, clear them and take it for a blast to get the fault to happen again. See which codes reappear.

PCA42 wrote:
I had a similar problem on my Td5. Turned out the TPS (throttle position sensor) was knackered. Tended to happen when things had warmed up a bit in the cab; the tracks in the potentiometer were expanding and getting out of place, sending the wrong signals to the ECU. I guess it could happen when cold too depending on the way it's worn? I changed the throttle pedal assembly and all was fine... Might be worth considering, took me ages to find out.

Yeah, I've had TPS faults before (wiring from TPS to ECU was chafed and would throw its toys out of the pram when wet) and according to the workshop manual, it's only the TPS that shows the MIL.

Previous faults, the MIL has appeared suddenly and the engine went straight into limp mode. With this recent set of random snags, the engine has hesitated and then the MIL comes on.

Last night I soaked the Wastegate Actuator with WD40 and attacked it with mole grips until it was moving freely. The drive in to work this morning (45 miles) was problem free Smile

As FatBoy Slim said, the only sure way is to get the codes read.
Post #428507 4th Jun 2015 8:27am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
My mil light came on and went into limp mode when my MAF was on its way out. Try unplugging the MAF and see if there's a difference while driving. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #428538 4th Jun 2015 10:27am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Really ? In 15 years of fixing Td5s I've never seen a duff airflow meter put the light on Exclamation
Post #428632 4th Jun 2015 7:37pm
WorcsTD5

At the risk of jinxing things...

Last night I soaked the actuator arm in 3 in 1 Oil, clamped on some mole grips and worked the arm back and forth. Then I added some more 3 in 1.

This morning I had no problems driving in (45 miles) - don't know if it was wishful thinking but the engine seemed more responsive.

Wait and see... Smile

Thanks once again to everyone who took the time to reply Thumbs Up
Post #428732 5th Jun 2015 10:24am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Fatboy Slim wrote:
Really ? In 15 years of fixing Td5s I've never seen a duff airflow meter put the light on Exclamation

I suppose something else could have put the light on at the same time but if so it fixed itself and was a hell of a coincidence. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #428804 5th Jun 2015 2:32pm
WorcsTD5

So, this morning the MIL came on again, went into Limp Mode but cleared after a restart. The Defender seemed to be running fine into work but I left early and took it to an independent LR mechanic who connected it to an Autologic reader.

There were a shedload of faults logged but a diagnosis with the engine running showed that the only thing showing was the Airflow reading was low - The value was 4.40 and should have been 50 (apparently). All other readings were normal

Because the engine seemed to be running ok, no smoke or misfiring, the mechanic suggested clearing the faults and then, if it happened again to bring the Defender back to check the fault codes to see what they show up.

So it goes on... Smile
Post #429827 9th Jun 2015 9:28pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Excellent. At least you'll know the next time it acts up and you have the codes read. My moneys on throttle pedal Whistle
Post #429831 9th Jun 2015 9:38pm
WorcsTD5

I'll keep you posted Very Happy
Post #429837 9th Jun 2015 9:58pm
WorcsTD5

Looks like FatboySlim was right... Went into limp mode 3 times on the way home last night. Got to the garage who diagnosed a fault with the TPS but also found a shed load of oil in the ECU plug. They suggested cleaning that first before spending £100+ because oil can sometimes cause the symptoms.

Cleaned it thoroughly last night, set off for work this morning, got about 20 miles and the engine light came on and stayed on. Am now on the hard shoulder waiting to be recovered back to the garage...Sad
Post #431545 17th Jun 2015 7:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>