↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > going to turkey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
keith

Scotland 
This trip was done by 4 defender campers . 2 went one way , 2 went the other and met in the middle .
I met 2 of them in Mtsketa Tbilisi ( Georgia ) Awsom trip .
Post #433905 26th Jun 2015 10:01pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
We did the journey to Turkey in 2006, in a Disco II. Our route was; Channel Tunnel, France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey.

We had a few days in Istanbul with friends, then went on to Cappadocia to see the total solar eclipse. Then it was across the mountains to the south coast, then into Syria. We got as far as Palmyra before turning back due to time constraints.

Return route was as outward, except we headed into Greece from Turkey and took the ferry from Igoumenitsa to Ancona in Italy.

Journey through Europe was straightforward. Croatia was pretty boring away from the coast (although, to be fair, we didn't stop to look at any sights). Serbia and Bulgaria were much more interesting scenery-wise. Longish border crossing into Turkey. Turkey is spectacular, but fuel was pricey when we were there. Border crossing into Syria was fun. We were dealt with by a couple of Tom Jones fans who had "It's Not Unusual" playing constantly on the cassette player in their office. Some kind of "psy-ops" perhaps? Syria was wonderful. So sad to see the tragedy that it has become.

Wouldn't recommend that last leg into Syria now!

Click image to enlarge
 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Follow our blog: www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
Post #434677 29th Jun 2015 9:05pm
womble

England 
evening all.got back from turkey last sunday,how can i put it into words...it was awesome. i went down through belguim,rained all day,then germany,austria,slovenia and into croatia where i stayed with my wifes family.then on down to the croatian coast and had a few nights in our house,chores etc.35 deg all the time,lovely!!i headed south down past beautiful dubrovnik (didnt go into the old city as i have been there many times before )
makedonia was a fantastic place but albania was more interesting ,lovely people and stunning landscape.got a hotel in shkoder for 20 euros with air con and inc.b.fast,result !!on into greece and stayed in the rooftent at an old haunt i used when i was trucking just outside xanthi.into turkey the next day and about 45 mins i was through the border ,very quick.they are resurfacing the road between ipsala and tekirdag and 1 car pulled straight out of the cones in front of me,how i missed him i dont know!!
when i got to the motorway through istanbul it was all going well until a few km's before the bridge then it all stopped....2 hours in traffic to get across the bridge and very hot.i got to my mates place at about 8 pm and rested there for a couple of days before heading off to nevshehir (cappadoccia region ) driving down a dual carriageway about 7 hours into the journey about 150 sheep and their herder casually crossed the road ,i stopped but it was a close call,
cappadoccia is an absolutely incredible place ,arid in places,it is like being on another planet at times and i will definately be going back some time.the people were really nice and i had a great evening in a restaurant even helping out with waitering at one point.
i returned home via greece,bulgaria,serbis and croatia etc .5837 miles and no problems with the vehicle or anything.
Post #446902 17th Aug 2015 7:54pm
keith

Scotland 
Well done , glad you enjoyed it .thanks for the report , where's the pics ?
On TV on a Friday is Rick Stein doing an excellent road trip in his LR from Venice - Istanbul . Not to be missed
Keith
Post #446921 17th Aug 2015 8:36pm
womble

England 
fao tarrell ,i am slightly jealous as syria would be very interesting but just not possible at the moment,iran is also on my radar,maybe one day Whistle

hi keith,the border gaurd at greek customs said 'you travel alone ?you are brave ! ' i'm not sure why as in my opinion turkey as a country is not dangerous,it's just politics etc that give that opinion.

i will try to sort a few pictures but they are on another laptop,don't ask it's complicated,

ironically and maybe luckily i think my pas pump has packed up but i'm not to worried the ol'110 performed fantastically and at least i am home where its easier to sort and cheaper....
bought an oil filter in zagreb...16 euros !!!!
Post #446937 17th Aug 2015 9:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12