↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Injector harness sealing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Injector harness sealing
Having searched for how to's on sealing my injector harness because oil had reached the ecu again, info seemed to be few and far between and not very many pictures were available so I thought I'd put together a little guide so anyone who needs it gets a rough idea of what's involved. Firstly I'd like to say I'm not a mechanic and will take no responsibility for people having problems from following this guide Mr. Green So first get your new injector harness in front of you (I'd recommend either genuine or oem only) it should look like this.

Click image to enlarge

The five black plugs that clip on to your injectors need removing first and this is done by lifting the little "tang" at the back of the plug and sliding off forwards to look like this.

Click image to enlarge

Also the metal top cover of the plug that goes through the head needs levering off being careful not to damage any wires.

Click image to enlarge

Once the covers are removed you need your sealer. The sealer should be both oil resistant and none conductive so a little time should be taken to research which sealer is best at the time you do this job as sealers change all the time.
Firstly I clip the top of the white plugs that the black plugs were removed from so the back of the wires are visible

Click image to enlarge

aply a small amount of sealer so the bare section of wire is covered and then close the top of the White plug fully so the sealer is contained

Click image to enlarge

Now sealer needs to be applied to the top of the larger plug making sure the sealer goes all around the wires and into the top of the metal terminals.

Click image to enlarge
 Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #422384 10th May 2015 1:16pm
mk1collector

While the sealer is stil wet replace the top of the large plug and wipe off any excess sealer that has squeezed out of any of the plugs

Click image to enlarge

I let the sealer set for a couple of days before replacing the black plug ends just to be sure nothing would stick together. After everything was set I fitted the harness and cleaned out the engine bay plug (which connects to the new harness) four or five times with electrical connection cleaner and left to fully dry before reconnecting. The red plug at the ecu will also need cleaning with electrical connection cleaner every couple of days for a week or two just so all the oil has gone from the whole loom.
Mine has been on for 6 months now and works perfectly and hopefully should be fine from now on. It probably doesn't need sealer at both the big plug and the five injector plugs but I figured if I do all while its out there is less chance of any oil getting through.
Hope this helps Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
Post #422386 10th May 2015 1:28pm
Alien

Australia 
This is the same way I did my injector harness on the Disco and got 3 years out of it before selling it off as a non runner(timing chain issue).
I strongly recommend doing the round big plug as oil does sit in it when running, some new harnesses have a clear filler in them.
Post #422391 10th May 2015 1:52pm
landroverdiver

Scotland 
Hi

Good guide!

I will be doing this within the next week or so. It looks like a Loctite product you are using as the seaLet, which one?

Thanks

Mike
Post #422453 10th May 2015 7:36pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A few people have done this and whilst it doesn't stop it, it slows it down, so saves buying them just as often!
Post #422471 10th May 2015 8:19pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I read of someone doing this with Vaseline to good effect Smile
Post #422506 10th May 2015 10:15pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
mk1collector wrote:
While the sealer is stil wet replace the top of the large plug and wipe off any excess sealer that has squeezed out of any of the plugs

Click image to enlarge

I let the sealer set for a couple of days before replacing the black plug ends just to be sure nothing would stick together. After everything was set I fitted the harness and cleaned out the engine bay plug (which connects to the new harness) four or five times with electrical connection cleaner and left to fully dry before reconnecting. The red plug at the ecu will also need cleaning with electrical connection cleaner every couple of days for a week or two just so all the oil has gone from the whole loom.
Mine has been on for 6 months now and works perfectly and hopefully should be fine from now on. It probably doesn't need sealer at both the big plug and the five injector plugs but I figured if I do all while its out there is less chance of any oil getting through.
Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Excellent post Ray, thanks.
I've sealed the new harness/plug as per above ready for installation shortly. It should help stall the oil transmission. That said, there's hardly a trace in the red plug. Still, it's worth doing for the minimal cost.

A couple of questions.
1. Does the new rubber head/rocker cover gasket go on 'dry.' I assumed it does.
2. Do/should you have to replace the sealing washers on the 13 cover bolts?

Cheers,
Will
Post #455646 16th Sep 2015 8:58pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You need a bit of sealent in the corners of the half moon. That's the only bit that calls for it.

My rockers been off many many times and I've never changed the seals on the rocker cover bolts. Don't see the need to Smile. Should be fine!
Post #455660 16th Sep 2015 9:45pm
mk1collector

As taaz says above Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
Post #455690 16th Sep 2015 11:30pm
sonnysullivan

2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Caledonian Blue
hey all, thanks for the great forum! i've been lurking here for a couple weeks reading as much as i can about all things defender. i hate to revive an old thread but i can't start a new one yet. i've been doing lots of research on the injector harness which all seem to agree that it's only a matter of time before the oil flows through them! on another website i read that the problem was solved from model year 2002. can anyone confirm this? if not, is there a visual difference between the old part and the revised part? does the revised part have a new number differentiating it from the original faulty one? thanks in advance gents.
Post #655217 5th Oct 2017 10:04pm
mk1collector

Mines a 2004 and it still happens (well not to me now as I sealed the harness) are you sure your not thinking of the head dowels being fixed from 2002? Ray
My build thread
Post #655237 5th Oct 2017 11:16pm
mk1collector

Also it's easy to check if you have oil at the red plug on the ecu to find out if you have a problem. Ray
My build thread
Post #655238 5th Oct 2017 11:18pm
sonnysullivan

thanks, definitely injector harness, not dowels. so even the updated part fails in the same way? i guess i'll just assume mine hasn't been corrected. i'll buy a new one and seal it myself.
Post #655242 5th Oct 2017 11:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't think that JLR ever fixed this problem, they just made it slightly less bad!

I sealed the harness on my 2002 Disco and it's been good for 180,000 miles since. The main problem is the connector where the harness leaves the cambox, this functions as a sort of funnel to direct oil into the outer connector, from where it tracks down inside the insulation of the individual wires.
Post #655262 6th Oct 2017 8:25am
sonnysullivan

seems the permanent fix would be to vent the crank case to the air inlet just in front of the turbo.
Post #655399 6th Oct 2017 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>