↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 2015 110 Kill Switch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GypsySamuraiAnt

Australia 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
2015 110 Kill Switch?
Hi all,

I'm considering having adding another layer of theft defense and was wondering if it's possible to add a kill switch or something of the like with still having the factory alarm, immobilizer and stereo live all the time? Sorry I'm no good with electrics.

Cheers,
Ant.
Post #422338 10th May 2015 9:52am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Yes you can, I use a Durite security keyed kill switch that I have fitted behind the cubby box. However, to keep your codes and alarm working you will need to feed a supply through the switch via a fused link, I use a 15 amp fuse which is sufficient to keep the Alarms and tracker working, but if any one try's to start the vehicle it would blow the fuse. If you have a tracker fitted this will need to have its own direct feed from the battery as once the fuse blows no power at all will available in the vehicles wiring harnesses.

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #422373 10th May 2015 12:23pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

Thanks very much for the reply.

So just so I have this right if someone tries to start the vehicle it will trip the fuse the head unit and alarm are running through so you just reset the fuse and every things ready to roll again when the kill switch is set to live?

Cheers,
Ant
Post #422597 11th May 2015 11:51am
munch90

England 
^^^yes agree with how to do it

always try to remember to turn on isolator before ignition , some electronics dont like power loss during power up

keep a stock of fuses , I use a small circuit breaker with push button reset , just saves looking for fuses Thumbs Up
Post #422601 11th May 2015 11:58am
gilarion

Yes, all you need to do is cut your battery positive cable and join the two ends to the switch; you may need to buy an extra length of battery cable depending where you are going to fit the switch.

You will also need to run a length of cable from the battery positive to the terminal on the switch where you have attached the cable that is not coming from the positive of the battery, I used 20 amp cable for this second wire it does not have to be very heavy duty .
This second cable will have a fuse link so that power is going to your alarm and radio; I used a 15 amp fuse which is fine for my set up. If anyone starts the car while the switch is in the kill position it will blow the fuse.

I recommend the Durite switch as it very heavy duty and impossible to prize apart. For extra security I attached a metal box under the seat box covering the underside of the switch so that the terminal cannot be interfered with from under the vehicle For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #422612 11th May 2015 12:23pm
gilarion

If it is any help you can buy the switch here from Vehicle wiring products.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/prod...tor-switch

Or from eBay which is a bit cheaper and free postage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-0-605-20-...19df747b62 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #422617 11th May 2015 12:31pm
munch90

England 
just to throw a spanner in the works

cutting the positive cable means losing the mega fuse (if you cut off terminal ) also the positive cable has 2 cables from the positive terminal ( 1 to starter 1 to fuse box ) meaning more joints etc

negative only has one cable

personally I would put the switch in the negative cable , does same job , not so much worry about insulating the switch/cables etc , can still use fuse/breaker
Post #422619 11th May 2015 12:43pm
gilarion

I agree negative cable much easier to do on more recent Defenders.

Must admit I got my wires crossed Laughing and was thinking of an earlier Defender that has only one positive cable.

But on later defenders that have more complicated wiring then negative cable would be much more simple and would be the same as wiring in the old and trusty negative battery terminal DISCARNECT. Which may suffice GypsySamuraiAnt needs if he does not mind removing the seat to unscrew off the black knob to isolate the battery. Not as secure as the Durite switch but a lot easier to install.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Disconne...1c321217a2

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #422624 11th May 2015 1:11pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
DO NOT OPERATE a cut off switch of the design above if your engine is running - If you need that option use an FIA cut off switch
Post #422667 11th May 2015 3:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alien

Australia 
I can't see why you would need the in line fuse with the suggested key setup.
Leave the + terminal on the starting battery with the feed for the fuse box.
Fit the cut out between the terminal and the stater.
This will maintain all the power required for the alarms, lights, radio etc.
If you forget it's isolated it simply wont crank but all other systems are maintained with out having to hunt for the fuse.
No reason it could not be mounted through the front wall of the seat box and accessed from the drivers seat.
This is where I mounted my winch isolator and can be easily reached and not in the way of a passenger.
Post #422783 12th May 2015 4:17am
munch90

England 
Yes but you you would have to have 2 isolatorsi for total power off and all so vehicle could be bump started

total power off is handy for emergency and if you want to work on vehicle without getting to battery

best of course is to have a battery back up sounder , for when total power is off , some have them fitted some dont so worth checking

and even a back up for the back up sounder if your going for security layers!!
Post #422785 12th May 2015 5:56am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Thanks for all the quality replies Thumbs Up

Sorry should have mentioned what I have in mind first.

I have a Muglo Exbox on the way and was going to have all the electrics transferred from under the seat into. Then I was hoping to drill a hole through the top of the exbox and into the bottom of the factory cubby for something a Durite kill switch (key facing up) to be mounted in. So with that in mind do I still need the push button circuit breaker and can that be mounted in the exbox also?

Cheers,
Ant
Post #422813 12th May 2015 10:28am
Alien

Australia 
munch90 wrote:
Yes but you you would have to have 2 isolatorsi for total power off and all so vehicle could be bump started

total power off is handy for emergency and if you want to work on vehicle without getting to battery

best of course is to have a battery back up sounder , for when total power is off , some have them fitted some dont so worth checking

and even a back up for the back up sounder if your going for security layers!!

I had not thought about the "bump start" factor as figured the alarm and immobiliser would cover this.
It all comes down to what added level of deterrents owners want to go to.

Ant,
The main battery to starter lead does not get moved in the Ex-box conversion but I think it would still work isolating the battery to fuse box feed wire within the Ex-box.
I'd personally go through the front of the box with the kill switch to maintain the storage capacity of the cubby box.
Alternatively mount it inside the Ex-box.
Both of these setups will need the Ex-box padlocked to stop the possibility of a hot wire being used to bypass the isolator.
A resettable push button fuse could be used and does not have to mount to the box, maybe hide it under the floor mat or under the dash out of sight.

The reason for the fuse bypass is to keep power for the alarm, immobilizer, clock, radio and interior lights etc..
It all depends on what your desired outcome is.

Also consider if the fuse does trip what is involved in recoding the radio and if the fob needs to be re-synchronized.
Also as Munch90 said it may have a battery disconnected horn to factor in to the equation..
This is the reason I suggested to only do the main feed wire between the battery and the starter.
Post #422957 12th May 2015 6:25pm
munch90

England 
The standard back up sounder can be disarmed before battery disconnect for example to work on vehicle

if the fuse/breaker blows , the back up sounder will sound and keep sounding until power reconnect and ign turned on

if the fuse breaker blows you normally need to recode the radio

re sync for key fob is normally just push buttons on fob until it locks and unlocks by the fob ( can take about 8 presses to resync )

EASY WAY IS JUST TRY TO ALWAYS REMEMBER TO TURN ISOLATOR ON BEFORE STARTING , AS SAID SUDDEN TOTAL POWER LOSS IS NOT GOOD WHEN SOME UNITS ARE STILL POWERING UP

AND DONT TURN ISOLATOR OFF WITH ENGINE RUNNING
Post #422975 12th May 2015 7:30pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

Thanks very much! I will post some pics when it gets here just to confirm I have everything right.

Cheers.
Post #423157 13th May 2015 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1