↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Is a Puma significantly better than a TD5?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
the only way the Td5 was better than the Puma is that it kept me awake on long journeys. I find the creamier engine note of the Puma makes me sleepy Laughing
Post #36805 23rd Jul 2010 12:27pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Gav110 wrote:
The Puma is in a different league to the TD5 and all previous models.

Very well said and could not have put it better myself. Totally on your side. Funds permitting I'd by another one tomorrow!

Everything before was rough and agricultural outside and in. We all love agricultural outside - it's the perfect shape and build - otherwise why buy a Defender, but what has surprised me is just what a joy the Puma is to drive.

The ventilation makes a massive difference. That's apparent here in AUS, but I can imagine the heating and demisting must be unbelievable in the UK. I have never experienced getting into a TD5 on a soaking wet and humid day when I was soaking wet and steaming - and not having steamy windows. It's just unsafe. In a Puma, same incident - clear windows all round in seconds. I also ticked the box on the factory sunroof option - best $150 money can buy, plus the factory expedition roof rack. I have mostly other custom mods - being done by www.mulgo.com.au - fabulous engineering guy here in Sydney.

The noise inside and out is down by about 50% over my old TD5 - there's none of that off-beat TD5 clatter. Smoothness of engine is fantastic. The gearing - others have spoken about it is awesome - but the anti-stall is incredibly handy offroad and on - like when setting off with a heavy trailer on a steep hill - just ease out the clutch in 1st HI and let it walk away - only a test drive can help you understand this.

The highway gearing makes for brilliant touring, esp. when paired with a good after market cruise control. I have an office in Melbourne (1000km away) and now drive down every month rather than fly. With cruise control, long range tank, a bit more sound insulation and a good after market stereo - it's the best tourer on the market. The extra low down torque is much more useful than the TD5's extra top-end. I had my TD5 "fully worked" with 3" exhaust, larger intercooler and chip so it put out something like 550nm - and it was largely all wasted as who wants to rev a diesel at 3000 RPM+ ? It was fun for outrunning Jeep Wranglers though.... Twisted Evil

The new seats in both row 2 and 3 are again like driving in a completely different vehicle. They are shaped, supportive and have proper head restraints. The kids are much more comfortable. Despite what some have said, I managed to fit comfortably into the 3rd row seats (5'9" - and I've even seen a 6 footer) - though obviously the leg room is better geared towards kids - but it will take a big kid and still leave room for stowage.

The concerns for me are same as others - drivetrain. I have a new clutch and syncros being fitted, but as others have said, once they sort this out it will be fine. Nothing else feels 'weak' to me - just a lot more sophisticated and well engineered. I took the precaution of buying the extended warranty (6 years total) which gives me all the peace of mind I need. I figure that once the 6 years is up, if I have a major issue I will tot-up the cost of replacing axles/clutch/box etc vs buying new - given the extensive mods I am making.

I actually think outlaying $6-10K if that's what it might cost then - is not a bad option over buying a new vehicle at that time, especially if it gets me a bullet-proof drivetrain (e.g. MaxiDrive / Isuzu / Mog etc.). In summary - couldn't be happier and am feeling confident in the choice. Best of luck mate.
 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #36899 24th Jul 2010 4:43pm
spudfan

Ireland 
spudfan wrote:
Gav110 wrote:
The Puma is in a different league to the TD5 and all previous models.

Very well said and could not have put it better myself. Totally on your side. Funds permitting I'd by another one tomorrow!

Everything before was rough and agricultural outside and in. We all love agricultural outside - it's the perfect shape and build - otherwise why buy a Defender, but what has surprised me is just what a joy the Puma is to drive.

The ventilation makes a massive difference. That's apparent here in AUS, but I can imagine the heating and demisting must be unbelievable in the UK. I have never experienced getting into a TD5 on a soaking wet and humid day when I was soaking wet and steaming - and not having steamy windows. It's just unsafe. In a Puma, same incident - clear windows all round in seconds. I also ticked the box on the factory sunroof option - best $150 money can buy, plus the factory expedition roof rack. I have mostly other custom mods - being done by www.mulgo.com.au - fabulous engineering guy here in Sydney.

The noise inside and out is down by about 50% over my old TD5 - there's none of that off-beat TD5 clatter. Smoothness of engine is fantastic. The gearing - others have spoken about it is awesome - but the anti-stall is incredibly handy offroad and on - like when setting off with a heavy trailer on a steep hill - just ease out the clutch in 1st HI and let it walk away - only a test drive can help you understand this.

The highway gearing makes for brilliant touring, esp. when paired with a good after market cruise control. I have an office in Melbourne (1000km away) and now drive down every month rather than fly. With cruise control, long range tank, a bit more sound insulation and a good after market stereo - it's the best tourer on the market. The extra low down torque is much more useful than the TD5's extra top-end. I had my TD5 "fully worked" with 3" exhaust, larger intercooler and chip so it put out something like 550nm - and it was largely all wasted as who wants to rev a diesel at 3000 RPM+ ? It was fun for outrunning Jeep Wranglers though.... Twisted Evil

The new seats in both row 2 and 3 are again like driving in a completely different vehicle. They are shaped, supportive and have proper head restraints. The kids are much more comfortable. Despite what some have said, I managed to fit comfortably into the 3rd row seats (5'9" - and I've even seen a 6 footer) - though obviously the leg room is better geared towards kids - but it will take a big kid and still leave room for stowage.

The concerns for me are same as others - drivetrain. I have a new clutch and syncros being fitted, but as others have said, once they sort this out it will be fine. Nothing else feels 'weak' to me - just a lot more sophisticated and well engineered. I took the precaution of buying the extended warranty (6 years total) which gives me all the peace of mind I need. I figure that once the 6 years is up, if I have a major issue I will tot-up the cost of replacing axles/clutch/box etc vs buying new - given the extensive mods I am making.

I actually think outlaying $6-10K if that's what it might cost then - is not a bad option over buying a new vehicle at that time, especially if it gets me a bullet-proof drivetrain (e.g. MaxiDrive / Isuzu / Mog etc.). In summary - couldn't be happier and am feeling confident in the choice. Best of luck mate.

Sorry about that, made a mess of that post. Anyway I endorse the above 100%. Would buy another tomorrow funds permitting! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #36900 24th Jul 2010 4:45pm
Joe90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
TD5 vs Puma Laughing I wish i could join in the discussion but i have a 300Tdi ninety!! It is my first car though. I'm saving to upgrade to a Puma Double Cab some time next year.
Post #36901 24th Jul 2010 5:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Defenetly not. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #36907 24th Jul 2010 5:27pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: Is a Puma significantly better than a TD5?
chopdogs wrote:
Basically, is it worth money - probably around £6-8k - to upgrade to a Puma? Thanks
chopdogs

As indicated by the posts "One man's rubbish is another man's treasure!" it is difficult to find a definitive answer by people's loyalty to their own marque of vehicle! Explain your dilemma to your local dealer or hire a Puma for a couple o' days and take it for a long and varied journey you'll soon be able to decide for yourself! Maybe just maybe the dealers will give you one on loan if they think they'll get a sale out of it!
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36919 24th Jul 2010 7:41pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
i've had a 200tdi, td5 and a puma.

200tdi had issues with the front pully Sad

td5 sounds the best Smile

puma is the most refined, because of engine, 6 speed box, quieter, better seats, better ventilation and aircon
Post #36950 25th Jul 2010 9:37am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Over several decades I've owned and used many models of Land Rover including virtually every model of 90 / 110 / Defender. I choose the vehicles for a reason meaning that they are not a trendy lifestyle choice for me. Like any vehicle they've all had their faults but I like the Puma the best.
Post #37287 29th Jul 2010 9:12am
MK

I understand better in the broad sense, including reliability and it would be nice to look at some statistics on the Td5 model after 3 years of being in the market. I´m sure LR has those numbers. Puma 110" SW

Post #37291 29th Jul 2010 11:55am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
MK wrote:
I understand better in the broad sense, including reliability and it would be nice to look at some statistics on the Td5 model after 3 years of being in the market. I´m sure LR has those numbers.

I hate to say your in the minority when it comes to the TD5 being better.

For info on LR - they certainly run warranty tests on parts (eg handle opening test 1,000 of times) and the whole car - these are mileage driven (no pun) and for equiv. of years and hard use.

You are likely never to see that detail of stats Wink Mike
Post #37298 29th Jul 2010 5:09pm
MK

Actually I´m not saying the Td5 is better (never had one) but I often hear stories about Pumas rather than Td5`s from a local mining company giving very hard use to their landies. Puma 110" SW

Post #37302 29th Jul 2010 6:01pm
pbob

Australia 
It's all about preferences, but I would not have bought a Puma if it had remained the same as a TD5. In Australia at least, long distances mean some changes have become important - namely, better seating, an air con that doesn't appear to be an afterthought, 6 speeds with a new engine that means faster modern touring with very good fuel economy and best of all, a very torquey motor. About the only thing in a TD5 that appeared to be up with the current trend of motoring is the TD5 engine which is good. I must admit this comes from a long time disco driver (1 D1, 3 D2s and an HSE D3). So maybe my creature comforts come from past experience - the Puma now sits not too far behind the levels of a D2, and well ahead of a TD5 or earlier Defender.
Post #37458 2nd Aug 2010 1:51am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Well having had a Puma for a whole 3 days now and previously owning a TD5 for 2+ years I can confirm that IMHO the Puma knocks the spots off the TD5.

Mrs Froogle also agrees although she is disappointed that the vents are missing in the Puma Rolling Eyes

Anyone thinking about getting a Puma, stop thinking, just do it! Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #37527 2nd Aug 2010 6:05pm
MK

I would like to know what the people using it as it was concieved for are saying? Like in the middle of the Atacama or Aussie deserts. Puma 110" SW

Post #37556 2nd Aug 2010 11:39pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have a 06MY export spec 300Tdi but have driven many Td5s and Pumas and the Puma is miles better in almost every respect, the only bit I don't like is that I have yet to drive one where the gearbox doesn't get a bit clacky when it gets really hot, so does the R380 but not as bad and you would think in this day and age of one finger gearchanges on everything else on the planet that LR could get this bit right. Having said that in a Puma you can ignore the gear lever and stick it in 5th between about 30 and 60 anyway, it's just low speed stop start that is a bit tiresome.
Post #37869 10th Aug 2010 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>