↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > you lot are getting me worried
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
you lot are getting me worried
i posted on here a while ago about getting a puma or keep my 300tdi and made up my mind to get a puma.

i have a 59 plate reserved on first refusal when it arrives at the dealer later this month.

but reading a load of recent posts on door ailgnment, seals, props, clutches by the dozen, tbox issues etc etc it is making me think twice.

i still wamt one especially as some just posted that the puma felt like a comfy pair of jeans and tshirt as oppossed to the D3 in a suit......

i really enjoyed the extended [3 hour] test drive in a puma 110 - i am looking at a 90 xs.

tell me i am being a wuss and stop worrying and just get one...... Confused BM52
Post #36328 14th Jul 2010 10:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
bm52 wrote:
tell me i am being a wuss and stop worrying and just get one...... Confused

Bm52 OK then!

"You're a wuss, stop worrying and just get one!"

If you really want the Censored put up you look at the last couple o' pages on this thread (from the last post on page 4 to page 6):

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3558-75.html

Sod it all! Each and every vehicle and their driver's are different. Get a goodun' like mine and you'll love it! Get a bag o' nails backed up by a decent warranty and it'll not affect your bank balance and as second hand ones are hard to source you can easily get rid and get your investment back! Come on in the water's fine, for me anyway, and a few others!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36332 14th Jul 2010 11:01pm
bm52

i need a drink after reading those posts.

might get a nissan micra then..............nope can't do that still want a 90...... Big Cry BM52
Post #36335 14th Jul 2010 11:18pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good on you! Get through reading that lot and still want one? Climb aboard! You'll not regret it?? Embarassed Hopefully, possibly, perhaps, maybe! Laughing
Censored enjoy it warts 'n' all! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36341 14th Jul 2010 11:53pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
MY 90 Has had £5500 spent in warranty work and still needs more and i would not change it for some Nissan or Toyota you get what you pay for...even tho its had that much work its never stopped working or let me down...I am one of the first Puma owners 18/04/07 and now its out of warranty all the little niggles have been sorted or i don't notice because the warranty has run out it runs fine coming on here has or has not made the problem worse or i would of not known of half of these problems and not found niggles so thanks to defender2.net for all your info NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY

Last edited by fekete on 15th Jul 2010 12:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #36343 15th Jul 2010 1:48am
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
yes they have problems but you should be able to get most of them sorted out before the warranty expires. mine is nearly 3 years old (77000km) and at the moment, right this minute, and hopefully forever forward, it is just perfect thanks. (ps, mine does drive in some fairly harsh african country and the longer it remians trouble free now, the more confidence i'll have when i head up into central africa next year). www.ralton.co.za
Post #36347 15th Jul 2010 7:24am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
BM52

Four years ago a purchased a brand new Porsche - you know the ones that are expertly built, excellent German engineering, never go wrong etc. It spent 30% of it's life being repaired, four power steering pumps, numerous bits falling off, more rattles and small problems than you could shake a stick at. As they only have two years warranty I got shot of it as soon as the two years were up - very large repair bills were looming.

SWHMBO also has a Porsche, 5 years old never had a problem.

The point of this - all manufacturers build vehicles that have problems, I was not the only owner of a Cayman that had serious issues and got rid of it when the warranty ran out.

Porsche cars do not have problems - they refused point blank to say there was an issue with the steering pump on my vehicle, even on the third replacement. Customer Service is worse than any I have experienced elsewhere. Compensation from Porsche - forget it !

And you can't work on most Porches, especially Caymans and Boxsters.

And worst of all, the amount of money I lost on the vehicle when I sold it would bring more than tears to your eyes Laughing

My point - get the defender - you will regret it if you don't Thumbs Up

Sure it has issues, I have had my fair share, but at least the dealers in the UK are getting better. There are forums like this that will help identify problems etc. Also, if you sell it you will probably not lose a vast amount of money.

I have had my 110 for a year and it stiil gets driven in preference to our remaining Porsche Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #36353 15th Jul 2010 8:54am
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
After having 3 previous Defeders (200, 300 and TD5) I swapped my brand new D3 for an early Puma, main reason was that at 25 I didn't like the fact that people thought I was driving my dads car and there was no real commaradary between owners.

It was an excellent car (the D3) but still had a few issues, EGR valves, Water in fuel, Xenons filled with water, top half of boot missaligned etc....

Was warned not to swap into a Puma by everyone, but cracked on anyway. I use mine properly, I've had water upto the middle of the windscreen (pretty stupid but got away with it), and try to use it off road as much as possible without damaging it. (Something that I couldn't do with the D3 as it was two wide)

Its had two clutches and one gearbox, but hey, they were free and the car was perfectly drivable with the faults. It has proved more reliable than my old mans new BMW 5 series which has had lots of serious problems such as rear suspension collapsing Laughing

What would I change about mine...

1. Decent door seals that don't let dust in or water

2. Auto box

3. TDV6 (I generally get overtaken by fully laden lorries when towing the tintent on hills)

Buy one and enjoy the warrenty period.

Ian Thumbs Up
Post #36354 15th Jul 2010 9:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Blaserman

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: you lot are getting me worried
Quote:
i have a 59 plate reserved on first refusal when it arrives at the dealer later this month

Its under warrenty mate don't panic Thumbs Up
Post #36386 15th Jul 2010 7:56pm
bm52

thanks for all the votes for the puma, it is just so much money and i don't want to buy a lemon and now i know porsche are not perfect either

i am hoping that the 90 will be in the dealer next week some time and i want to put quite a few miles on it to try it out.

just been reading wyvern's post on his trip to venice, that is what i want to do in the 90 as well, but to south france - gites and not camping though! 2 days down to provence, a week there and a different 2 day route back. bliss Cool

i have also read that the interior noise level is 73db - the same as my FL1 on the motorway so it should cruise well at 70-75 ish. don't want to rush in it, just cruise. i am also using it to slow me down a tad. i think i must have driven nearly a million miles in 35 yrs of motoring and many of those have been at [ahem] very high motorway speeds if you know what i mean Whistle Whistle

when i was in my 300tdi and last week in the 110 puma xs i just felt so relaxed and just did not want to rush around.

i have really been bitten by the defender bug and your are right - if i buy this 90 i will have 2 1/2 years warranty left on it.......the one i am looking at has only 3k on the clock and been used for school runs but they are selling as they are going abroad, so hopefully a good one ! Question

cheers BM52
Post #36400 15th Jul 2010 11:38pm
23GPS

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I went through a similar thought process, and spent ages researching/reading etc before taking the plunge and buying a 110 Puma 18 months ago with 500 miles on the clock. An ex LR vehicle, used on the 4x4 Experience off road course at the Heritage Museum in Gaydon, it has needed a small amount of warranty work, but nothing that has dented my confidence in the vehicle - 26000 miles in 18 months on everything from motorways to single track roads. I bought it with my eyes open, knowing it's history, and it's become my daily driver. Very relaxing to drive and will sit on the motorway on the limiter but much nicer at 70.

Go for it.........2 1/2 years of warranty should give peace of mind and probably only another 3 years or so of production left. I could have had a used D3 for less money, but heart said Defender, and given complexity of D3, my head agreed!
Post #36404 16th Jul 2010 1:27am
Blaserman

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Don't forget you can extend the warrenty with Land Rover for full cover up to five years of age. I think its around £450 a year including LRA mate but could be wrong.
Its worth having Thumbs Up
Post #36419 16th Jul 2010 10:28am
Ninetenths

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yesterday I drove London to Paris and back again same day. I will be doing the same next Tuesday. The week before I was offroading in Wales. There are few vehicles that can do that. A lot of people come to Pumas expecting not to do any fettling, expecting it to have machined levels of QA, most of the "faults" havent disabled the car in any way shape or form Rolling Eyes There was even someone talking about using a clay bar on his paintwork FFS! Rolling with laughter Pimped black '07 Puma
Equally Pimped Black Pick up Truck

Rollin deep
Post #36421 16th Jul 2010 11:22am
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
bm mate, mine's sadly going up for sale (as explained in another thread Sad )- it'll be a year old in September (59), with some nice extra's on it & not quite 8k miles yet......imagine it'd be cheaper than a main dealer, if it's of any interest to you? Feel free to PM me if you'd like some more details, fella Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #36431 16th Jul 2010 2:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Take the plunge and you won't regret it. i bought mine 2 yrs old 13K for in my opinion a great price from a DEALER! plus they added 12 months warrenty included with the sale (Extendable if you wanted it) I've only had a few niggles but they were caused by my own fiddeling with spot lights ect which i also sorted myself. I haven't had ANY problems mechanical at all not even with using off road also High / Low box working perfect as is the diff. Trust me you won't regret it! Thumbs Up (only thing they did tell me was it had rubber mats when i asked about them turns out it's just the lining Evil or Very Mad )

P.S. K9 will probably be along soon to reinforce what i have said ( I hope Razz )
Post #36435 16th Jul 2010 4:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>