↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Another ICE question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Another ICE question
Not being into my ICE I don't know too much about the head units etc.

I would however like to connect my phone / ipod to the head unit via a permanent connection into lets say the cubby box and not via the aux input on the front ie an aux input at the back would be ideal.

I've not looked at the back of the LR unit so don't know if this is possible or if after market units have this facility. If there's an after market one would be nice if it not too glitzy and looks similar to LR unit. ?
Post #36234 14th Jul 2010 7:38am
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have an Alpine head unit, ipod sits in glove box and controlled from head unit, brilliant bit of kit.
Post #36246 14th Jul 2010 9:23am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I've got a sony xplode unit that is able to link via blue-tooth to both the phone and the mp3 at the same time ... it's not a bad unit sound wise either with 4 peaker output, an Aux in put on the front for non-bluetooth ipods and the such and has a single Cd player, mic is built in to the unit as well - which also works well.
It was a simple swap at the back for fitting in - no new connetors needed
Cost about £100 -
advantqages are no wires for the phone - it links automaticly when you get in the car, so you can leave it in the phone box, and you can leave the MP3 in the cubby box as well
hope that helps
enjoy Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #36259 14th Jul 2010 12:28pm
Caterham

not sure if there are any out there but would like to find a way of connecting non blue tooth ipods / units with aux outlets and usb sticks via a neat wire out of the back of the unit to the cubby box ideally - but thanks re; the blue tooth connection especially being able to do phone and idpod at the same time!
Post #36798 23rd Jul 2010 9:24am
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Most head units these days will have some way of connecting aux devices.

As mentioned above, Alpine IDA range allow you to control your ipod through the head unit. I have a IDA 200 which has 2 ways of connecting the Ipod, either USB or specific cable.

I have used the specific cable to put the ipod in my cubby box where its nice and out the way. I used the USB for a dash mounted USB connector, meaning I can play my iphone (Does not work with OS4) or any USB keys.

The head unit was about £130 and the extra cord was given to be but think they are about £20

If you don't wan't to go that way, some head units will allow you to put a connector to the red/white inputs for a CD changer. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #36801 23rd Jul 2010 11:47am
Markh

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Connect a phone ...
Got my defender 3 months ago, bought iPod connectivity kit from dealer for £185... Don't bother, works for iPod (kind of) but doesn't work for iPhone.

Bought a new JVC head unit a couple of weeks ago, dead easy to fit (standard connectors) better sound, bluetooth connectivity, plus two USB one at front and one on rear for concealed cabling. gives full control of the iPhone.

Also comes with remote microphone. All that for £150 ... wish I hadn't bought the cable from the dealer now! "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #36931 24th Jul 2010 9:58pm
dgardel

Italy 

Click image to enlarge

Becker Cascade PRO
- NAVI
- PHONE
- Bluetooth connections
- 2 receivers radio

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #36942 24th Jul 2010 11:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

thanks guys
markh. sounds like jvc is just the ticket - a usb at the back !
Post #37008 25th Jul 2010 7:23pm
Markh

Yup, at the back

Its the JVC KD-R811E cost me £149

Comes with a Bluetooth dongle which you can plug in either socket. At the back has a USB socket on a fly lead about 1m long to help position your device, at the front just sits flush on the removable security fascia. Both completely independent and are referenced separately on the device select control

I debated wiring my iPhone cable into the rear socket and down under into the cubby box but to be honest I mainly use it now on bluetooth to stream the audio / take calls. Cuts down on the wiring and works great! "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #37020 25th Jul 2010 10:59pm
ti-fat-man

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
can anyone with an Alpine IDA headunit, confirm that the new unit just slips into the DIN port and picks up the 'anchor' bracket hole near the bulhead.

thinking of an upgrade to an IDA-X311, reasonably cheap, no CD drive, green illumination (kinda match with OEM lighting...) and basically a shed load cheaper, (unit & leads) than the LR iPod connectivity lead... Shocked

would like to know if it's just a straight forward swap with the current player.

anyone
Post #38151 15th Aug 2010 11:36am
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
I've got an iDA-X305 and it was a simple swap (once the existing unit had given up its vice-like grip on the dash): everything plugged into everything else without any brackets etc. Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #38152 15th Aug 2010 11:56am
ti-fat-man

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
cheers peter,

i think the x305 is the higher spec model, reckon the x311 should do me just fine... Very Happy dumping the mountain of CD cases for an iPod set-up.

just receeded (spell), the passenger dash top comes off with two torx screws and two captive clips...spotted a factory hole at the back...Q: did you run the iPod lead through that to get behind the dash cavity.

anyone know if the SVX net at the passenger side, can be purchased as an item from nearest stealer?
Post #38166 15th Aug 2010 4:30pm
Markh

After a bit of advice.... Looking to swap the tweeters on my 110 dashboard, they're sat up on top to the left and right. Any idea how I get them out? I'm not sure how to get access to that part of the dashboard to get under them. Also it looks like they're not fitted with cross overs to link to the lower speakers? anyone any experience of this?

thanks "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #38174 15th Aug 2010 6:49pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
The top of the dash will need to come off. Not a big job, just a few screws.

On the top you have 3 large screws, and the 4 that hold the vents down, on the passenger side you will have to remove the Land rover Logo and undo the screw there plus the one at the bottom.

On the passenger side there are 2 into the end and 2 that hold the binnical on.

Fianlly as yours is a 2002, there are 3 under the lip of the dash.

Think thats it!

Ben 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #38175 15th Aug 2010 6:59pm
Markh

Thanks Ben, Sounds easy?!

Will give it a go, any experience of the cross overs?

Mark "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #38177 15th Aug 2010 7:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>