Home > Td5 > Clutch woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gwinster

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Epsom Green
Clutch woes
Hi,

Slowly bring my 90 back to life after a tree fell on it a number of years ago. I've done all the simple/cosmetic stuff and it's time to turn to the main problem.

It was running fine when I last used it but since leaving it lying up the clutch pedal had become solid, I'm not sure it's the usual Defender clutch fork problem as I think the TD5 has a cast fork (MY03) so I decided to apply a suitable amount of brute force and ignorance by the deft application of both feet and 19 stone of pressure to the clutch pedal. Sure enough there was a big bang and the pedal was freed up.

Prior to this I could engage fwd/reverse and start it up in gear and drive it around the garden on tickover, however now when I put it in gear nothing happens, the clutch pedal is soft but returns to position. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I'm going to whip off the slave cylinder and bleed it to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Jim
Post #413765 4th Apr 2015 2:30pm
munch90

England 
could be rusty/corroded piston on slave cyl ( or maybe master cyl but would check slave first ) giving hard pedal before , now piston has moved with your extra force and holding clutch disengaged giving no drive now

cant see fork seizing has only place would be on pivot ball and that wouldn't need much force to move it and would be free moving now
Post #413776 4th Apr 2015 5:04pm
Gwinster

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Epsom Green
Cheers Munch, I'll try the slave first.

Jim
Post #413843 4th Apr 2015 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1