↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > The Gun bus.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Thanks Shaggydog,

I didn't do too much revision to be honest. Looking at the spacers I had it in my head that I would be able to retain the same shock travel. Although this works for the front it wont for the rear.

Anyway I am still in the process of fitting. The rears I cant go wrong but the fronts I want to double check. The front spacers have a hole on one side big enough for the sock to go through, but when I fitted it this way up the shock ain't long enough to fit the lock nut etc.. When I fit the spacer the other way round it makes more sense although tightening the lock nut is tricky due to the lack of accessibility. I'm not 100% sure what the reason is for the large hole on one side of the front spacer?

As you can tell I'm no mechanic, I will seek professional advice to make sure I am happy before I proceed!

Did you have to change the shocks along with the longer springs?

I fitted +2" shocks and springs so for me it was a very simple just swap everything over as you need to take it all out anyway.

From memory the blocks should go at the bottom but I would say you still need the +2" shocks as the travel hasn't changed but it is now 2" further away than it would be. Not an issue for compression but on extension it will bottom out the shock before it bottoms out the spring.

The large hole I imagine would be so you can fit a spanner in to hold the nut/bold when assembling.

I had some cheep Pro-Comp ones which were about £40 and lasted me fine! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #432807 22nd Jun 2015 1:06pm
Gunbus

Scotland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thanks For the info Shaggydog, The front shocks remain the same length as the shock is attached to the new spacer and doesn't stretch out the shock. The rear would benefit from longer shock as it will, as you mentioned have the potential to 'top out'.

Anyway now fitted. Not much difference to drive, just a bit higher Smile

And yes, I was too lazy to take the wheels off so I carried out the work with everything in its place!

Before
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

During

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

After

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #432962 23rd Jun 2015 8:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234