↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Warranty issues for side window replacement units
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Warranty issues for side window replacement units
Both my rear side window units need replacing.... Dealer is saying I cannot opt for the factory tinted ones... I am eve willing to pay any price difference!

Looking at the warranty from JLR it is possible as it is a listed part for the vehicle in question...

Anyone know?

5 weeks and counting..... without my defender!!! Big Cry 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #407272 13th Mar 2015 3:29pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I can't see what the issue is or if I am missing something here? If it's a warranty claim and they are honouring that what is the excuse for not fitting like for like or is there a darker tint?

If so, ultimately get them swapped out and tinted yourself. Problem sorted.

Or get Pete on here from LRCS to give an opinion and help if possible? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #407275 13th Mar 2015 3:34pm
RustyM

See here is the rub.....

A side window unit is a side window unit no? But I would like to have factory tinted glass not clear. I do not understand how this is then "not covered under warranty" if it is done by a Land Rover dealer with Land Rover factory supplied / listed part for the vehicle..... why is it not covered??

Oh... yes JLR are giving the "build sheet" states.....and it has to be the same. Well if any part is change and or replaced it technically has deviated from the "build sheet". In the warranty it implies that it has to be a factory made replacement part for that vehicle, I cannot see any "original build sheet" criteria stated unless I missed it... Question

I always have the option of clear and then pay again to have them tinted again.... Big Cry

M 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Post #407285 13th Mar 2015 4:00pm
K9F

Crystal clear (excuse the pun). I can't see what the problem is especially as you are prepared to pay the difference? Sounds like 'hardball' is being played here but there are two sides to every story and perhaps I can see their angle too? Be careful about applying tint as this invalidated my claim when the rear brake light housing chaffed through the heater element which was a well known documented fault at the time. A case of 'Any Excuse' I thought.

Suck it up, wait til you're out of warranty then do as you wish.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #407296 13th Mar 2015 4:42pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi All,

Just to clarify, under the Land Rover manufacturers warranty provided with new vehicles, should a concern be identified that is covered under the warranty, the concern will be resolved but will not take the vehicle away from the original build specification.

Many thanks,
Pete
Post #407299 13th Mar 2015 4:49pm
RustyM

I understand the "like for like" "same build specification", but I want clarification that if I was to have factory supplied parts fitted as the warranty replacement parts but the glass was tinted (from the factory) is it correct that there is no longer any warranty on the factory replacement items?

M 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Post #407338 13th Mar 2015 7:08pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi,

I note your comments, but as previously advised, the warranty would provide a replacement component to keep the vehicle in line with the original factory specifications.

However, should you choose to have any genuine Land Rover parts fitted that were not part of the original build specifications, they would not be provided under the warranty. If you choose to have these fitted by a Land Rover approved retailer, they would be provided with a 2 year parts and labour guarantee.

Many thanks,
Pete
Post #408007 16th Mar 2015 12:34pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Pete,
To add my two penneth as a New (rejected due to no one giving a flying F*@K when it was built) Defender XS i really don't understand what the problem would be with LR replacing the faulty (covered under warranty) windows with the privacy glass windows if Rusty pays the difference ??
The "clear" side windows have a £ value, the labour will cost £x.
The only difference is the original cost of the "privacy" V's "clear" windows and, if i assume the labour is the same to fit either, why can the cost of parts and labour under warranty still be allowed for with the difference between the 2 x types of windows be paid by Rusty ??
As for the original build spec, i cannot see why this has to remain as its not like some cheap aftermarket piece of kit is being fitted, but a genuine set of LR windows and by LR trained staff which you guarantee for 2 yrs anyway ?
Maybe "some common sense" should be applied along with LR/Dealer listening to what the customer wants and trying to help him, possibly reaching a compromise as the windows will be covered for 2 yrs parts and labour which may take them outside or fall short of the warranty period, obviously with Rusty's agreement of course.
Its all too easy for the dealer and LR to quote ; -
"Under the terms + conditions of your warranty Sir..........."
Hopefully you can help Rusty out as it really shouldn't be that difficult ?

Mark
Post #408030 16th Mar 2015 2:11pm
K9F

It is obviously a case of 'like for like' under warranty rules and not open to negotiation or interpretation....hence no debate. You would also have no warranty on the items unless you purchase them seperately and have them fitted at the dealer. As mentioned wait until you're out of warranty then you have numerous choices. Rules are obviously rules in this case.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #408042 16th Mar 2015 2:33pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Nothing is ever simple when trawling through a contract and that is what essentially a warranty is with its often ludicrous conditions.
To change an OEM item with another OEM item that in reality should be a simple matter given the customer has agreed to pay any difference, nevertheless in doing so a terrible word emerges for large corporations like JLR, that word is ‘precedent’ do it for one, ends up doing for all. And you can argue until you are blue in the face but that word is always a stumbling block. JLR as any large and powerful organization looks at precedents as an action or decision that can be used subsequently as an example for a similar decision or to justify a similar action. so they stick to the rules of the warranty contact. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #408080 16th Mar 2015 4:05pm
K9F

Good word 'precedent.' Ages ago I had an issue with lack of paint on a certain area. Whilst Land Rover wouldn't budge on the issue I had to pay for the work myself. Nevertheless as a 'goodwill jesture' I was awarded a free service that cost more than the paintwork rectification itself.....

I strongly suspect that their actions as generous, welcome and approving to myself as they were fell under the 'precedent' category rather than 'goodwill.' Who really knows but it was a satisfactory brokered result for both parties?

Post #408087 16th Mar 2015 4:27pm
RustyM

I have been putting off saying anything but I have had enough now! A Land Rover dealer has had my 110 since the 7th of February!!! Yes since the 7th of February Exclamation

I am sick of being told it is fixed and it is not! It has now had a lot of parts damaged by the dealers mechanics!!!!!! All I wanted was a fit for purpose Defender!

Big Cry

What the hell do I do now? I am at a loss and have major concerns about any of the work that has been done to my vehicle. I am not going to name them until I get my vehicle back for obvious reasons. But I feel this has been such a bad experience from start to God knows when it finally does end! I have cancelled a few trips that needed my Defender! The stress has well Crying or Very sad you can guess!!

I am open to any sensible suggestions......

And who ever is the JLR representative on this forum now ..... Buckle your seat belt as I am going to post all of the facts on here for all to read and understand that they have an amazing vehicle but......

Oh and if you read the bit about the rear windows above..... That is still being fixed!! Rolling with laughter 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Post #432646 21st Jun 2015 9:06pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi RustyM

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of the concerns that you are experiencing with your vehicle, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or frustration that may have been caused.

In order for me to comment on the timeframe for addressing your concerns, I will need to contact your retailer to establish the current status of the repairs to your vehicle and how we can move the situation forward.

Should you wish for me to assist you in liaising with your retailer, I would be grateful if you are able to send me the following information via PM;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Jaguar retailer

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ryan
Post #432760 22nd Jun 2015 10:42am
RustyM

PM sent. 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Post #434784 30th Jun 2015 10:29am
RustyM

@Ryan,

Can you PM me with contact details as it would appear I am not able to send PM's any more....... Big Cry 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Post #434787 30th Jun 2015 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>