Home > Expedition & Overland > Oxford to Milan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Oxford to Milan
Hi,

I am planning a 1 way trip from Oxford to Milan the end of April. I am relocating for work so will be driving down with all my gear.

So this is what Google Maps tells me;

Click image to enlarge

However I am most interested in this part of the route, the Alps Crossing;

Click image to enlarge

I have allowed 4 days for the trip if needed, 27th-30th April

I would quite like to take some of the gravel roads through the mountains depending on the snow that is still around.

Has anyone done a trip through the Alps before? Can you suggest any places/tracks to visit along my route? Or where I can start looking for routes through the mountains?

Cheers

Yan
Post #406852 12th Mar 2015 11:18am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Hi Yan,

The first thing I can say is that whichever route you choose, once you get to the Alps you will love it. Whether mainly through Suisse or France.

Here are some thoughts:

1. Re your dates, you will find that many of the higher passes/roads are still blocked, indeed often into late May/June. So beware if you choose to go x-country, even on a day trip, that you speak to locals and find out conditions.
2. I am pretty sure that any kind of off-road is illegal in Switzerland, so don't try it. Less so in France, but where you go and when has a baring (April should be fine, mid-summer and walkers take precedence) so again, confirm with local Mairie/Gendarmerie or 4x4 garage. You will be fined if the Gendarmerie catch you and they do send 4x4s and Trail bikes up the passes for that reason. Re Italy, I have heard they are much more open but cannot tell you the rules. The Aosta valley has some spectacular routes and valleys branching off it, almost empty even if not officially gravel. And normally you will find some amazing little restaurants to refuel. If you can't do Aosta on the way down, then you'll only be an hour or so away in Milan.
3. I have done the road by Lake Lugano and it is gorgeous, albeit on my bike. Do consider how much longer windy roads take in a Defender....never looks the same on Google Maps compared with reality and by late April how much traffic you will have with Caravans etc. As such, I would do the French route via Dijon/Bresse to get into the Alps, and only then do A roads to Milan. You can get to Chamonix (or the region) in one day, with Milan only 2.5hrs further, therefore giving you a full three days in the region. Whether you do the French route or the Swiss route, the road is much the same (pretty boring) to Dijon (French) or Basel (Swiss), so get it done in one hit and then relax!!
4. Places to see on any route are many, but must include (depending on route) Lucerne, Interlaken, Basel (nightmare to drive around though), Annecy, Lac de Bourget, Chamonix (and Mont Blanc) Aosta, Geneva and of course all the valleys etc etc etc. The Alps are amazing, you won't get bored.
5. If you do come via Chamonix, let me know. At the very least for some beers and burgers, but also some off-road routes if they are clear of snow with amazing views of Mont Blanc etc....

Good luck, you will love it. Take photos and a dashcam so we can all see....

David Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #406882 12th Mar 2015 1:05pm
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Thanks a lot for that David!

Having a look at the route I'm sure Chamionix can be included so I may take you up on the offer of burgers and beers. I expect I will be around the area on the 29th April, so if there are any off road routes that you could show me or point me towards I would be very greatful.

I will post my route up here when I have more of an idea where I am going and which areas I will include.

What maps are best for finding routes through the mountains? We have Ordnance Servey here but I'm not sure what the equivalent will be in France/Italy?

I will be living just east of the Aosta Valley, signed the contract on my new place yesterday. Smile

Click image to enlarge

Thanks again.
Post #409230 20th Mar 2015 12:44pm
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I live in Chur and have driven to Milan from here a couple of times. Have also driven from UK to here.
A few points.
UK to Switzerland, if you are in a Defender your top speed is not 130k Rolling Eyes so your route should not be the ‘AA recommended’ which will preference high speed motorways.
– look at Michelin routes: my suggested route to Switzerland is Calais – Reims,
then for Reims – Mulhouse take your pick;
but Vitry / St Dizier / Nancy / Baccarat / Selestat / Colmar , this is not motorway but is a straight line and as quick as any, it also has a neat tunnel under the mountain.
Switzerland / Basel to Milan:
Look at google maps this view
https://www.google.ch/maps/@46.6017734,9.8042707,8z

is Gotthard tunnel E35 ( where the maps will take you ) or St Bernadino A13 tunnel to the east where I am.
If you want passes, at end April nothing is certain. But St Bernadino and Gotthard should be open in April.
The most spectacular is Splugen, to bypass the Bernadino tunnel.
Splugen takes you to Chiavenna then you can mosey down to Milan.
This link is the Graubenden passes
http://www.strassen.gr.ch/sites/strassenzustand/karte.html

http://meteonews.ch/en/GroupSelection/R24/Swiss_mountain_passes is the general list

However, bear in mind that Milan is only a few hours back into Switzerland, once you are there, you can go back up as often as you like!
It takes me 1 long day to get Chur – UK in summer, I take 2 days to go UK-Chur in winter. 2005 90 truck cab with no frills and no great speed.
Then Chur to Milan is only 220 k and going slow is only a few hours.
If you are stopping in Chur, let me know … Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #410278 23rd Mar 2015 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1