↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Red warning light below rev counter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DanielSWE

Sweden 
Red warning light below rev counter?
A red warning light below the rev counter (the one to the left) comes on and off when driving.

Restarting the car helps sometimes. I didn't find anything useful regarding this in the owner's manual, but I think it has something to do with open doors? However, opening and closing the doors doesn't seem to help.

Any advice?
Post #405857 9th Mar 2015 6:43am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
On what model? www.td5.org
Post #405869 9th Mar 2015 8:03am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Isn't that the immobiliser alarm warning light.

Andy
Post #405870 9th Mar 2015 8:11am
DanielSWE

Sweden 
It's on a 2013 110 LXV.

Yes, I think it's the led that blinks when the alarm is activated.
Post #405877 9th Mar 2015 8:24am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes it's the alarm immobiliser light, so does different flashes to indicate different things (door open, alarm set, central locking etc.) so don't think it should show whilst driving. Does the internal light flicker at all? Poorly adjusted door, or door switch? Bonnet switch?

Need a bit more info, and am sure an adult will be along in a short while.

Andy
Post #405880 9th Mar 2015 8:32am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Doesn't it flash while driving when the key fob battery's need changing?

Ray
Post #405895 9th Mar 2015 9:21am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I don't think it should flash whilst driving, only when parked up. However, i have noticed that mine will give the odd single flash, from time to time whilst driving.

From MY12 Workshop Manual:

"In addition to the alarm system status indications, the Anti-theft alarm indicator also displays CDL (central door locking) system status.

The system confirms that the drivers door is open by illuminating the indicator for the 10 second confirmation period. If any other door or the hood is open, the indicator remains unlit for the 10 second confirmation period. After the 10 second confirmation period the indicator reverts to the slow flash deterrent mode if the alarm is armed."

From the Owner's Handbook:

"The alarm status is displayed by the indicator. After locking the vehicle one of the following
will be indicated.

• Indicator illuminated for ten seconds then adjusts to a slower frequency - driver’s door is not closed.
• Indicator flashes slowly - engine is immobilised but alarm is disarmed.
• Indicator flashes rapidly for ten seconds then adjusts to a slower frequency - alarm is armed and engine immobilised."

With regards to a failing remote battery:

REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY REPLACEMENT
When the battery is due for replacement the following symptoms will be apparent:
• The remote control will work only with a second press of the unlock button.
• The indicators will not flash when the alarm is disarmed.
• Alarm indicator in instrument pack continues to flash rapidly after initial ten second period of rapid flashing.

The remote control battery must be changed while inside the vehicle. DO NOT remove the battery until you are ready to install the replacement. Battery replacement must be completed within five minutes otherwise the EKA code will have to be entered before the remote control can be synchronised to the vehicle.

Fit a new Land Rover STC4080 or a Panasonic CR2032 battery. While sitting in the driver’s seat, follow the process to replace the battery:
1. Insert the key into the starter switch and turn to position II. Return it to position 0 and remove the key.
2. Starting at the key ring end and using a small coin or screwdriver, carefully prise apart the remote control.
3. Slide the battery out of its retaining clip. DO NOT touch the internal parts.
4. Press and hold one of the remote control buttons for at least five seconds to drain off any residual power.
5. Fit the new battery ensuring that the + symbol is facing up. Finger marks on the battery flat surfaces may adversely affect its performance. Ensure that the battery is clean.
6. Press the two parts of the remote control casing together, ensuring that they are fully joined. Moisture and dirt must not be allowed to enter.
7. From outside the vehicle, operate the lock button at least four times. This will synchronise the remote control with the vehicle.
8. Press the unlock button once to unlock.

The remote control is now ready for use.
Post #405902 9th Mar 2015 9:41am
DanielSWE

Sweden 
Sorry, my bad.

The warning light does not flash, it's steady on.
Post #406226 10th Mar 2015 11:10am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
I have also noticed that in the last month or so, occasionally, the warning light will flash once or twice while driving my 2013 Defender 110. Mine does not operate with the doors as far as I can see, only when the alarm is operated and when the vehicle is locked. Everything seems to operate normally.
I was going to ask the dealer about it when it soon goes in for its 2 year service.
Post #406511 11th Mar 2015 9:03am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'm assuming it is just a communications miscommunication, if that makes sense, so would be interested to know if your dealer says differently.
Post #406706 11th Mar 2015 8:36pm
4wheeler

I was thinking the same. I got the vehicle 6 months ago (low kilometre used) and at the first petrol station I stopped to fill up at the Defender failed to start after refuelling. Every time I turned the key, less and less happened to the point where nothing happened. I tried once more and I started normally. I moved the vehicle away from the pump and stopped again to see what the problem was (loose battery cable etc.) Tried to restart and same thing happened. After a number of attempts it started normally and has been fine for the last 6 months.
I suspect a security miscommunication or radio interference which has stopped some Defenders at some stations here in Australia. Will be interesting to see what the dealer thinks.
Post #406851 12th Mar 2015 10:17am
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Confirmation for anyone who has the same problem, the red light staying on under the rev counter can mean your battery in the keyfob is going flat and the remedy described by Supacat above seems to work.
Cheers,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #577750 14th Nov 2016 2:33pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Thread Revival - sorry !!
I have my new shiny 2012 110 and the little left hand red light on the dash revcounter occasionally flickers on and of when driving ...
I am assuming that the security sensor is detecting that one of the door switches is not working properly (back door seems not to be working as the cab lights dont come on when oping the door unless I nudge the door sensor thing)

any other ideas? Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #625134 18th May 2017 2:44pm
4wheeler

I like the occasional thread revival.

After my post back a few years ago on this thread, my 2013 Defender has had numerous occasions when the red light flickers on. Interestingly I have found that it happens a number of times in the same location driving down certain roads. Also, as previously posted where I could not start my Defender a service station, it also went crazy one night in an outback town. The alarm malfunctioned and at first I could not lock my car then once locked, I could not open it. I discovered that if I put the key fob against the drivers side A pillar, the alarm operated correctly. This made me suspicious that RFI (radio frequency interference) might be to blame. I took a short walk from the Defender and found that not far away was a great big radio/television transmission tower which I could not see when parking in the dark. I moved the Defender further away and no further problems eventuated. That was 2 years ago.

I suspect that the occasional flicker of the alarm light in my case is related to RFI given it seems to occur in certain areas. While this might not actually answer the question, it adds a little more information.

I tended to worry about it once but now I just treat it as part of my Defender's personality.
Post #625338 19th May 2017 10:35am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Cheers for that - I think that logic doesn't always apply to defenders .. Whistle

Sounds reasonable and I’ll feed back when I have sorted the door sensors and see if it does it again then. We have a couple of GCHQ locations near us so maybe that they are transmitting more than listening at times .... Cool so may put your theory to the test.

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #625353 19th May 2017 11:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>