↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > LT77 Failure
LT77 Failure - what would YOU do?
1: Replace like-for-like
30%
 30%  [3]
2:Replace LT77 with R380 and long bell-housing (engine requires relocating forwards)
20%
 20%  [2]
3: Replace LT77 with R380 and short bell-housing (no engine move required)
40%
 40%  [4]
4: Sell the Defender as a non-runner and save myself the hassle?
10%
 10%  [1]
Total Votes: 10

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
LRmud wrote:
Quick update:.....Problem: Can't get a local garage to give me any idea on cost of work - not even ball park OR a time frame.
I guess there are easier ways for them to earn money!

Not surprised. You are supplying a box of non-standard parts and asking them to make it all fit. From the way you were talking at the start of the thread I assumed you were going the DIY route for fitting all these parts together. There is going to be a bit of trial and error making the changes you are talking about and expecting a garage to pin their livelihood on guessing how long it will take isn't going to happen.

I still don't agree with the way you are doing this. IMO having the 300Tdi in the 200Tdi location and using a short bellhousing to fit the R380 gearbox is the best solution.
Post #410494 24th Mar 2015 12:38pm
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
As I tried to explain before, the engine is currently in a ridiculous position and needs moving forwards.
Currently, I have 240mm between the viscous fan and the radiator.

The current LT77 Gearbox and Bell Housing is 500mm long.
The new R380 Gearbox and Bell Housing is 635mm long.

As owner #13, I thought I'd bite the bullet and do it right.
It's not exactly rocket science. A real pig in a poke though!

Ha, in a few months, I hope I can look back and laugh. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #410546 24th Mar 2015 4:18pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Just giving it 30 seconds thought. You do realise that by moving the engine you will have to change:
Intercooler pipe work
Radiator coolant pipework
Oil cooler lines?
Exhaust
Engine mounts
fuel lines

or, you can leave all that well alone and fit the R380 with a short bell housing (I think). I know what I would rather do.

That 240mm between fan and rad sounds like the normal 200Tdi spacing. landrover filled the gap with a big plastic cowling on the 200Tdi. It was great because you could whip it out and stand on the front axle while working on the engine Cool
Post #410625 24th Mar 2015 9:29pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
And the engine flywheel housing is different
Post #410634 24th Mar 2015 9:43pm
LRmud

Guys,
The fitting of the R380 Gearbox will be happening very soon. All parts are now bought . 300tdi Engine Chassis Mounts (biggest problem) have been acquired, welding plant has been sorted out and the engine hoist is around £50 a week.
The overhaul of the LT230 Transfer Box is also being done, since it leaks like a f***ed fridge.

Honestly, I am really hoping that this is the worst experience of Landy ownership. Looking forwards to the good times again......although that experience has been rather short lived so far.

Just to recap: this was originally a 2.5 n/a (F reg) which was converted to a 300 tdi but retained the original LT77 gearbox and LT230 Transfer box.
Owner #13 now on the case! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #420557 2nd May 2015 1:18am
LRmud

UPDATE: The engine has now been repositioned forwards with the R380 Gearbox and LT230 Transfer Box all fitted up.
I'll put up some pics when its all completed but I am now well relieved its almost finished.
Just got to connect up all the hoses and wires now.

New 300tdi exhaust system was also bought since the old downpipe had been flattened on the fwd side to miss the engine mounting (an old 2.5TD one) - thanks to one of the 12 previous owners, I guess.

The chassis looked fine until I removed the crossmember and found a big rusty hole behind each end plate. Welding to be done later this week.

New turbo cartridge bought since the old one was rattling more than a hamster's wheel! I'm surprised it was still running at all.
So after all this, I'm crossing my fingers we'll be good for some happy motoring. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #426202 25th May 2015 7:33pm
OJ

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Having read the posts on this with interest i wonder what the final outcome was but the thread stopped for some reason, any updates or links?
Post #743025 29th Nov 2018 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12