↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Proposed route through Norway.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Monkey

Ireland 
Proposed route through Norway.
Hi lads for those in the know could you please give me an opinion on are proposed route through Norway and are time scales please.

where getting the ferry from Hirtshils to bergen:

Day 1: Begen to Molde

Day 2: Molde to Trondheim (Via Atlantic road)

Day 3: Trodheim to Mo I Rana

Day 4: Mo I Rana to Narvik

Day 5: Narvik to Alta (or as close as)

Day 6: Alta to Nordkapp (Leaving Early)

These are very much so Aims and goals we will be rough camping and staying in hotels where possible.
Thanks Lads Look forward to hearing your opinions...

Tristan
Post #401138 22nd Feb 2015 3:18pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Tristan
Remember the max speed is 50mph, with lots of speed cameras and very little duel carrageway.
The roads are not as fast as the UK A roads, as there are a lot of bends and there are a lot (A LOT) of tunnels.
The traffic is not too heavy but it all slows down for the towns and villages.
passing paces are few and far between as well

what time of year are you looking to go as if it is winter then driver fatigue is higer than in the summer due to the short day light time.

so plan for a little bit less per day and enjoy the drive rather than blast through.
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #401233 22nd Feb 2015 7:47pm
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I don't know about day 1, however, have done others and would comment

Day 2, 3, and 4 are easy driving days

Narvik to Alta is a long day and there is so much to see along the way, however, easily doable

Day 6 is an easy day

If that is your timescale then I would try and get North of Trondheim and North of Mo i Rana and do less on day 5 as a suggestion

You are obviously aware that on your timescale it is a Road Trip not a traditional holiday.
Post #401283 22nd Feb 2015 10:48pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
I thought the same although i want to see the atlantic road id rather push north asap and relax on driving so much the more north we get.. Where going to be rough camping so not really on a time scale but that said we do have a set amount of days to do it in. How long from experience has it taken you chaps in the past....
Post #401300 22nd Feb 2015 11:24pm
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I had all the time in the world and each stage was very easy. I stayed in motels, hotels and hostels so did not have to worry about making and breaking camp which all add to a days tiredness and needs to be taken into account. On the other hand I had just retired and so maybe not as fit as yourself

Day 1 - Afternoon drive across Denmark to Malmo
Day 2 - Malmo to Lillehammer
Day 3 - Mountains and Geirangerfiordd so very little progress North
Day 4 - Eagle Road, Trolls Road and Atlantic Road so not a lot of progress once again
THIS IS APPROX WHERE MY ROUTE MERGES WITH YOUR PROPOSED ROUTE
Day 5 - Near Kristiansund to Mosjoen - very easy drive arrived 4.00 ish
Day 6 - Mosjoen to just North of Fauske after detour to Bodo and Maelstrom - very easy day and good fun as crossed Arctic Circle
Day 7 - Fauske to Bardufoss after spending time in Narvik and Arctic Zoo - pleasant day out arrived about 4.00ish
Day 8 - Bardufoss to Alta - fantastic day hugging the coastline, arrived about 3.00 ish
Day 9 Alta to Nordkapp Easier than I thought arrived about 12.30

Speed limits were sensible for roads and higher than expected in some cases and out of town very little traffic. Driving for hour after hour was no chore as there is so much to see from the elevated driving position in the Defender, every corner is another 'Oh my God' moment. Took 4 days driving back to Malmo through Sweden down the coast road. Not very inspiring and next time will come back down the centre
Post #401375 23rd Feb 2015 11:28am
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
What time of year are you going?
Post #401508 23rd Feb 2015 9:15pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Planning on jan/feb of next year Phoenix90.
Regards
Tristan
Post #401593 24th Feb 2015 1:55am
Phoenix90

Hi Tristan,

I have done that trip a number of times now at that time of year. This year we went:

Through Europe to Copenhagen

Copenhagen - Oslo on overnight ferry

Oslo - Levanger
Levanger - Saltdal
Saltdal - Bardu
Bardu - Tromso
Tromso - Alta
Alta - Honningsvag (Nordkapp)
Honningsvag - Karasjok
Karasjok - Kiruna
Kiruna - Vilhelmina
Vilhelmina - Orsa
Orsa - Oslo
and reverse route through europe

This works OK, but some of the days are long, especially on the way up to Tromso and down from Kiruna. The conditions are 'sporting' at times, and the hours of daylight are limited all of which means that progress is not always the quickest.

Lots of things can get in your way, including accidents, road works, reindeer, or weather.

When the weather is bad it can slow you down to a crawling pace and if it gets really rough then the E6 will be shut at strategic points and you will have to join plough convoys. These run fairly regularly, but it would certainly slow you down. The key point with all of this is be prepared to be delayed. Not many camp places are open in the winter so have a good list of alternatives you can head to if your plans change at short notice.

Let me know if you want details of the places we stay.

Also make sure your vehicle is properly prepared: Tyres; Pre-heater; Snow Chains?; plenty of cold weather kit (be prepared to break down in -30 and wait 12 hours for a recovery vehicle). Are you going on your own?

To time your days, if google maps says it'll take 8 hours, add another 3 by the time you have added time for breaks, lunch, some road works and driving cautiously due to conditions.

Its a fair bit of work to get ready and to do it, but it is absolutely worth it Thumbs Up If you can get the time, spend a day or two in Tromso and Kiruna, they are the big towns up that way.
Post #402187 25th Feb 2015 9:46pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
^^^ exactly what Kris says ... he's been quite a few times now... Tyres, Block Heater and lots of NOKs
Post #402190 25th Feb 2015 9:50pm
The Monkey

Ireland 
Phoenix90 wrote:
Hi Tristan,

I have done that trip a number of times now at that time of year. This year we went:

Through Europe to Copenhagen

Copenhagen - Oslo on overnight ferry

Oslo - Levanger
Levanger - Saltdal
Saltdal - Bardu
Bardu - Tromso
Tromso - Alta
Alta - Honningsvag (Nordkapp)
Honningsvag - Karasjok
Karasjok - Kiruna
Kiruna - Vilhelmina
Vilhelmina - Orsa
Orsa - Oslo
and reverse route through europe

This works OK, but some of the days are long, especially on the way up to Tromso and down from Kiruna. The conditions are 'sporting' at times, and the hours of daylight are limited all of which means that progress is not always the quickest.

Lots of things can get in your way, including accidents, road works, reindeer, or weather.

When the weather is bad it can slow you down to a crawling pace and if it gets really rough then the E6 will be shut at strategic points and you will have to join plough convoys. These run fairly regularly, but it would certainly slow you down. The key point with all of this is be prepared to be delayed. Not many camp places are open in the winter so have a good list of alternatives you can head to if your plans change at short notice.

Let me know if you want details of the places we stay.

Also make sure your vehicle is properly prepared: Tyres; Pre-heater; Snow Chains?; plenty of cold weather kit (be prepared to break down in -30 and wait 12 hours for a recovery vehicle). Are you going on your own?

To time your days, if google maps says it'll take 8 hours, add another 3 by the time you have added time for breaks, lunch, some road works and driving cautiously due to conditions.

Its a fair bit of work to get ready and to do it, but it is absolutely worth it Thumbs Up If you can get the time, spend a day or two in Tromso and Kiruna, they are the big towns up that way.

Wow phoenix thanks for the reply. I have a pre heater bought, I'm going to have all the above done split charge battery setup, Insulated cab,.. Camping is possible will be using tepee and fuel burning stove although are preference is cabins which seem really affordable i priced one for €40 for the night the tent will be brought as back up incase we get delayed for long periods of time.And possibly one nights camping....

I would really appreciate a list of where you stayed. I'm half considering redoing way points to accommodation points and have a proposed accommodation 6hr apart our something to that effect.
Appreciate the help lads...
Regards
Tristan
Post #402268 25th Feb 2015 11:46pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Insulate your foot wells too .. Makes a difference
Post #402274 26th Feb 2015 12:02am
Phoenix90

I would do exactly that with moving the waypoints to accommodation points.

PM me your e-mail and I will send over a load of info that should be helpful. Thumbs Up
Post #402295 26th Feb 2015 9:16am
Declan303

Ireland 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Hi guys,
Question: what kind of tyres do you recommend on such a trip. Would muds be a help or a disaster?

Declan303
Post #402435 26th Feb 2015 4:50pm
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Search Arctic tyres. This will give you some recommendations. Not sure about muds, whether they will give you the necessary grip. Need the softer winter compound and sipes to help grip ice and snow. I believe you need snow rated tyres to be legal in Norway. Don't have to be studded though.
Pheonix90 is your man for all the info.
I used cooper discoverer m+s2 for my recent trip with Kris. They worked great. Listen to his recommendations over timings. We had reasonably good weather, but the days were very long initially. More north, with less distances, you need more time with the road conditions and to stop and admire the landscape. If the weather is bad it will certainly slow down progress. Its not much fun driving in a blizzard!
Well worth the trip!
Andrew
Post #402441 26th Feb 2015 5:16pm
Phoenix90

Declan303 wrote:
Hi guys,
Question: what kind of tyres do you recommend on such a trip. Would muds be a help or a disaster?

Declan303

As Andrew has said, we use Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres. They are the softer winter compound and well siped. There is a huge amount of debate on this and different things work well in different conditions. Studded tyres work better on ice, but the sipes are what matter most in the snow...

Rather than an actual brand, the main thing for me is to use tyres that have the snowflake on the mountain logo, rather than just M+S markings. M+S doesn't actually mean very much, the snowflake on the mountain logo mean they have achieved a certain standard. Bit more reading about this can be found:

http://www.snowtyres.com.au/severe-service-emblem
Post #402486 26th Feb 2015 7:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>