↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > 'Dealer showrooms are dying,' says manufacturer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
'Dealer showrooms are dying,' says manufacturer
http://www.am-online.com/news/2015/2/11/-d...rer/37832/

“If you look at costs of dealerships and the profit margins, something has to change. It’s like the big supermarkets cutting back on unprofitable hypermarkets; the retail customer wants something different now."

Seems to be a sentiment that chimes with many on here that would prefer the Aldi experience to Sainsburys...

Would you visit a LandRover Express for a quick oil change?
Post #398381 13th Feb 2015 10:26am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
One thing is right and that is that something has to change for the dealer network to survive.
For the majority of dealers it is their customer service that needs a thorough overhaul and that will only happen if the manufacturers make it happen.

The cosy closed shop of manufacturer and dealer makes the dealer network arrogant with do you want it or not attitude.

I know there are some good ones as well and of course that is where we take our business and offer praise to them on this forum.
Post #398389 13th Feb 2015 10:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
We received an order from Lookers Land Rover at Park Royal yesterday and the chap there told me that they were in the process of building a multi million pound showroom
Post #398396 13th Feb 2015 11:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SS90

United Kingdom 
JJ wrote:
One thing is right and that is that something has to change for the dealer network to survive.
For the majority of dealers it is their customer service that needs a thorough overhaul and that will only happen if the manufacturers make it happen.

The cosy closed shop of manufacturer and dealer makes the dealer network arrogant with do you want it or not attitude.

I know there are some good ones as well and of course that is where we take our business and offer praise to them on this forum.

Totally agree....! Thumbs Up
Post #398434 13th Feb 2015 1:35pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
JJ has hit the nail on the head here. Most main dealers are utterly complacent and really couldn't give a stuff about their customers. They rely entirely on the manufacturer producing a good product and then marketing it for them, creating a steady flow of new customers through their doors. When I purchased my last Audi from my local main dealer the whole process from start to finish was an utter joke. I frankly couldn't believe that a company that operated like that could manage to stay in business, but somehow they do. The dealership and salesman only served to complicate and introduce problems, inconvenience and frustration. If I had the option of ordering a car direct from Audi in Germany and bypassing the UK dealer network I would jump at it! I think that is the way things will go and I for one can't wait. I would love to be able to spec my car online exactly as I want it, and then just hit the order button, whereupon the full spec gets sent direct to the factory and I can check progress etc. online. When built, the car is then delivered to my door on the back of a truck / van.

Next time I buy a new car I will seriously think about going down the online broker route (which I toyed with last time). For me there is absolutely no benefit in buying from a main dealer, in fact the exact opposite is true - it makes the whole experience significantly worse. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #398457 13th Feb 2015 2:38pm
Chugga90

Dealers in the main are staffed by jumped up I'll informed idiots, who judge before even considering enquiring what you require. I may not be suited and booted, but my money is as good as the next persons.
Travelled 90miles for my last Land Rover purchase, got treated like a human being, when issues were needing fixing just after purchase they had the car and lent me one for a week. When headlight issue arose took it to localish dealer, Lancaster at Reading, what a shower of rubbish. Changed headlights under warranty three times, rather than have a go at fixing it. Gave up in the end as they just spoke at me like I am an idiot.
Caffyns at Lewes, star dealer and if I brought another LR, would use them.
Courtesy costs nothing. Think on Land Rover.
Post #398666 14th Feb 2015 9:21am
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
I work in a dealership with 5 franchises.

I run the Business, Fleet and Leasing Centre and am currently doing 30 cars a month. I only started it up last August from nothing and I take around 10 enquiries a day via phone and email.

However the showroom aspect of the business is suffering. There are 6 sales executives covering 4 brands on the site I work at and if I tell you that to my 15 this month so far, the other 6 have done 15 between them at a time when you would be expecting it to be busy with the number plate change 2 weeks away.

January looked quite poor until 3/4 through where 1 Saturday was exceptional.

This weekend will be big test I think. I don't today will go as it's Valnetine's day and people are possibly thinking of other things other than buying a new car. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)
Post #398667 14th Feb 2015 9:43am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Dealers really are a joke. Most just don't know the product. My local one is run by the lot that run a Audi dealership. They reckon LandRover forced them to build a 5 million pound building. It's very flash and uninviting. The staff don't follow up any leads and all the old customers just buy because we have no choice.

Service department has improved no end, quick and efficient and good price.
Post #398687 14th Feb 2015 11:11am
DOOFER

Green Machine wrote:
JJ has hit the nail on the head here. Most main dealers are utterly complacent and really couldn't give a stuff about their customers. They rely entirely on the manufacturer producing a good product and then marketing it for them, creating a steady flow of new customers through their doors. When I purchased my last Audi from my local main dealer the whole process from start to finish was an utter joke. I frankly couldn't believe that a company that operated like that could manage to stay in business, but somehow they do. The dealership and salesman only served to complicate and introduce problems, inconvenience and frustration. If I had the option of ordering a car direct from Audi in Germany and bypassing the UK dealer network I would jump at it! I think that is the way things will go and I for one can't wait. I would love to be able to spec my car online exactly as I want it, and then just hit the order button, whereupon the full spec gets sent direct to the factory and I can check progress etc. online. When built, the car is then delivered to my door on the back of a truck / van.

Next time I buy a new car I will seriously think about going down the online broker route (which I toyed with last time). For me there is absolutely no benefit in buying from a main dealer, in fact the exact opposite is true - it makes the whole experience significantly worse.

We made five visits to Audi in norwich trying to order an A3 for my wife but gave up in the end. The service was just shocking. I got tired of Censored and lies from the sales staff and it's almost like they have the receptionists pre judge you as you walk in. In five visits it was too much trouble to even look inside one!!! DON'T PANIC
Post #398695 14th Feb 2015 11:40am
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I can empathise with the comments. Now I never go in a dealership without being armed with all the online data, especially quotes from Carwow and others. I find it best to tell the dealership exactly what I want and how much I am prepared to pay for it because of their total lack of knowledge, the disrespect they show if not suited and the fact that they do not seem to know or care that the prices are way out of line with online pricing through brokers. The last car I bought was an A4 Allroad and the Audi dealership were great once I was able to stop them talking and go through my own folder on models, add ons and prices. Did exactly the same for a Citroen, a VW and a Fiat 500 for my daughter

It is very hard to avoid the dealership all together as even when you buy through a broker they do the deal through a dealership and you collect it from them (at least the ones I have dealt through)
Post #398705 14th Feb 2015 12:48pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Go Beyond wrote:
We received an order from Lookers Land Rover at Park Royal yesterday and the chap there told me that they were in the process of building a multi million pound showroom

Yup it's on the A40 just a bit down from the current one interesting to note quick service bays and our very own James T at the helm Thumbs Up

Still prefer Grange thoug Thumbs Up
Post #398777 14th Feb 2015 6:23pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
The local dealers to Hereford, Listers, are spending money, they're relocating from their premises miles out of town to an old furniture store on the outskirts of town later this year.
Post #398807 14th Feb 2015 7:58pm
Supacat

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11793463..._moves_in/

“It’s about creating a destination, having the service aspects and the investment of a new showroom with the latest technology,”added Mr Hope. Rolling Eyes
Post #399272 16th Feb 2015 12:50pm
Supacat

Car boss Vardy puts pleasure before profits
and here's another interesting view on the future...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/peo....117821240

"visiting Peter Vardy's Car Store in Hillington, Glasgow, is more akin to shopping in a high end department store than a draughty forecourt"

"The best hotels - the six and seven star places - don't talk about people as customers. They talk about guests, don't they? So we're trying to learn that language."
Post #399273 16th Feb 2015 12:53pm
Supacat

Vehicle Sales Advisor Apprenticeship
Chugga90 wrote:
Dealers in the main are staffed by jumped up I'll informed idiots, who judge before even considering enquiring what you require. I may not be suited and booted, but my money is as good as the next persons.

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/jaguar-land-rov...p/26603876

Who knew that there was a Level 3 Diploma in Vehicle Sales!
Post #400791 21st Feb 2015 10:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>