↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > GPS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MichaelHead

England 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
GPS
Hi all , I'm looking for a simple to use sat nav . Primarily for off road in this country and morocco , easy to upload maps to and something that I can use to remember routes I've taken if I follow some one so i can travel them again . From what I've researched the garmin montana seems to fit the bill , has any body got a thought on this thanks in advance mick .
Thumbs Up
Post #398199 12th Feb 2015 7:07pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Don't know about Morroco but anything from MemoryMap (O.S. maps) will allow saveable 'snail trail' on the maps. 
Post #398214 12th Feb 2015 7:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Memory Map has been a tried and tested product. They have software and maps for all sorts of devices (PC, Tablets, Smartphones etc) as well as specific GPS devices with maps preloaded.

I have used MemMap for years, but recently started using http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb .

As far as I know they don't do devices, but their software runs on all the above devices and can make use of free maps (very useful if you are travelling to many different countries) as well as premium maps such as OS maps. So its free to get started with the free maps.

It has a good synchronisation capability so you can save routes from, say your phone and later display on a tablet or PC. You can also set up a tracking capability such that a "buddy" can follow you remotely. Good if you want someone to know where you are when out on the trail.

Hope that helps.

cheers

simon
Post #398220 12th Feb 2015 7:31pm
trooper

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tamar Blue
I use a Montana 600 with dash mount which includes the speaker, The best bit of GPS kit you can buy. It is fitted with maps of the whole of Europe and also the complete Ordnance Survey maps of the UK. It also interfaces with my computer in order that I can plan my routes and update the maps online then download to the GPS. It also gives me access to a large number of additional parameters that I can display on the screen while driving ,like compass, lat./long, ordnance survey lat./long, places of interest, Ht., campsites etc, (most GPS's don't). You can also use it whilst walking/off-roading in remote parts of the UK.
Post #398243 12th Feb 2015 8:26pm
Laurie

Thanks for that Simon Very Happy
Not come across it before. 
Post #398251 12th Feb 2015 8:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MichaelHead

England 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Thanks guys I think the montana it is then Very Happy
Post #398350 13th Feb 2015 3:21am
Laurie

I like a big screen so I bought the Snooper S8000 loaded with a Europe street level GPS and OS GB 50,000:1
http://www.snooper.co.uk/caravan/ventura-pro-s8000.html 
Post #398437 13th Feb 2015 1:45pm
Xelr8

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
I'll be after some sort of GPS system in the very near future.
Do you know if the Snoopers are compatible with iMacs? As it just mentions PC requirements for upgrades on their website.

Cheers
Leon
Post #398519 13th Feb 2015 6:47pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
I have the Montana 650 and it's a decent bit of kit.

In hindsight, I'm not overly bothered that it has a 5mp camera built in, so perhaps the 600 would have been a better (and cheaper) shout.

Used primarily as a GPS for hiking/geocaching and more recently, laning. I particularly like the feature that you can put it into 'Sat Nav' mode and then get it to navigate you on the road network to the beginning of each lane and then flip it back into 'route/track mode' when you are on the lane itself. Dead handy if it's only you in the cab and nobody is navigating the transit routes for you. It equally has a 'logging' feature, which will track your route when following somebody. This isn't overly unique though from my limited experience of Memory Map & Alpine quest

You can hook it up to Garmin's 'Basecamp' bit of software which allows you to plan routes and sync between the PC & the machine itself and if you fancy it, download other people's 'adventures'. The rechargeable battery lasts well and indeed you can run it off regular batteries too, so handy as a backup if you use it away from the vehicle charger/speaker (extra cost)

Some downsides...

Cost... it aint cheap either to buy the unit or the 1:50k mapping

Garmin don't (at least when I bought mine) do a 1:25k OS map yet. Albeit 1:50k seems to be fine for most laning needs.

The 1:50k map clarity though is poor (again, might have improved). Compared to the clarity of Memory map or Alpine quest maps, it's like Garmin photocopied a paper map. This coupled with the small screen (even though it's big in GPS terms) does make it more difficult to read clearly.

The global base map on mine is utter Censored and of little use for anything really. So you need something more detailed. I assume you can get something for Morocco from Garmin....

I've far from played with all the functions/optionality but it's pretty decent bit of GPS kit. Probably a bit over spec'd for me as just a laning tool but the walking and geocaching usage just about justifies it for me.... If just for laning, a gps enabled smartphone or tablet running MM, Alpine quest of view ranger would probably work out better overall in terms of map quality.

You could always go for both Smile

Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #398520 13th Feb 2015 7:00pm
Laurie

Xelr8 wrote:
I'll be after some sort of GPS system in the very near future.
Do you know if the Snoopers are compatible with iMacs? As it just mentions PC requirements for upgrades on their website.

Cheers
Leon

Sorry, no idea. Try contacting their website, they can probably help. 
Post #398523 13th Feb 2015 7:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1