↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma bonnet release - heads up re. bonnet thefts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The plate has probably been filed out Bremdan, I speak from experience !!!

Actually, looking at your picture more closely, how many types of chequer plate have the blanking plate sitting inside the hole and not on top of the CP ???

Brendan has also reminded me that the 'Mud' locker turned up without a seal where the hinge goes and with nuts and bolts to fit the bottom plate (instead of captive rivnuts as advertised) which made installation of that plate impossible Crying or Very sad
Post #395570 3rd Feb 2015 9:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Now you seem to have an issue with Mud. If you had an issue with a product they supplied why did you not contact them? I am sure that Mud would have resolved it quickly.
Post #395612 3rd Feb 2015 11:33pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Well done Brendan Whistle

Now go and find the millions of pictures showing the plastic cover ON TOP OF THE CHEQUER PLATE, those will be the ones that the MUD box won't fit Rolling with laughter

I shared my response from MUD on my 130 build thread, are you asking me to drag it up again as I'm not sure they'd welcome that ????
Post #395637 4th Feb 2015 7:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
I had to file out my Mammouth CP to get locker to fit but had no issues with my locker like Matt had with his though.
Post #395640 4th Feb 2015 8:28am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I wonder how easy it would be to install an airbag under the bonnet that is connected to the alarm.

If the alarm is armed and the bonnet pin is activated, set the airbag off!

That'll get 'em Rolling with laughter Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #395647 4th Feb 2015 9:16am
leeds

United Kingdom 
The top image has a DA part number which is sold by many companies in the UK.

Yes other companies use a smaller hole size where the blanking plate sits on top of the chequer plate ribs.

There is at least one company which does a small hole with a flat countersunk so that the blanking plate sits flush to the aluminium.

As I often say when buying equipment from different aftermarket companies check that the items are compatible with each other.

For instance not all swingaway wheel carriers will work with every version of rear bumperettes in the market place.

Not all towing equipment/rear receivers will work with all aftermarket fuel tanks and tank guards.

It is important for people to check on compatibility between different manufacturers preferably before parting with their money. Otherwise the different items may not work with each other or need modification to work together. For instance rear bumoerettes taken to local blacksmith so it works with the wheel carrier.

Then there is the shall we say Land Rover Defender build tolerances where an after market will fit 99% of vehicles without issue then there is the 1% where the aftermarket item will not function properly. Knock the aftermarket company or just accept it is as part of Defender ownership?

We have dealt with Mud for about 8 years now and have always found them very helpful and professional so a big Thumbs Up to Mud from me.

Brendan
Post #395650 4th Feb 2015 9:53am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Never had a problem with Kevin or Faye. In fact if anything, they are two of the most helpful people selling aftermarket goods. Ive had one or two issues with goods supplied, but then they are not made by MUD so it isn't their fault and yet MUD accepted responsibility and took my word for it and sent out replacements even before I had sent them the defective items.

Different companies have different ways of doing things and chequer plate has got to be one of the most diverse of them. The Locker from GMB was too large for my chequer plate, BUT knowing how accurately GMB make their stuff I knew it was the chequer plate at fault so just filed the hole out to fit. Job Done and very pleased, but then I am a big fan of GMB stuff!!

There is a lot of cr4p out there, but GMB stuff isn't one of them. Thumbs Up
Post #395659 4th Feb 2015 10:37am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Perhaps time to set the record straight

My post on here was to point out that the locker will not fit through all chequer plate:

"Those lockers are also too big to go through most wing top chequer plate"

It was not a dig at Mud (or GMB), I have no problem with Mud, I used them once, I was disappointed with the service, I haven't used them again (as is my perogative), it was a genuine observation about the product to save disappointment for those that may buy the locker and expect it to be an easy install (as has been confirmed by SGH and smb above)

Below is the response from Kevin at Mud to my post in Feb 2013 and then my response, the original can be found here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15815....;start=225

---------------------------------------
Hi.

A customer and D2 member has alerted me of "MUD being bad-mouthed on D2" and suggested I ought to reply.

[quote="Go Beyond"]

1) The description on the Mud website shows / speaks of a 'felt seal' in the hinge area, this was not there

This 'issue' was taken up with Mud who offered to replace my one with another 'old stock' but as it was cheaper for me to provide my own felt seal than pay the postage back, so I declined.

You were the first person to alert us to the fact the felt seal was missing. All of the lockers arrive from the German manufacturer pre wrapped so we had no way of knowing about this discrepancy. It turns out this was a simple assembly error. All lockers now have the felt seal fitted.

We would never ask a customer to return a faulty item at their expense

When I came to install there were two further 'issues'

1) The box is too big to fit through the hole in my chequer plate wing top. The chequer plate was on the vehicle when I bought it and I'm not positive but I think it is the 'Mamouth' brand, however I also have genuine LR chequer plate on another Defender and it wouldn't fit through that either - looking closely at the pictures on Mud I would suggest that if you have chequer plate that 'goes around' the LR plastic blank plate (rather than under it) then you'll be OK, otherwise you will need to file / jigsaw a bigger hole in your chequer plate

My own vehicle has LR factory fit chequer plate and the locker fits through the hole OK. As you'll appreciate with any product designed for a Defender, accounting for every variation whilst accounting for factory tolerances is never easy!

2) The removable 'floor' is shown on the Mud website as being fixed with bolts and rivnuts, the reality is that a set of nuts and bolts are supplied. This causes problems if you want to install the floor after installing the box, in the end I used self tappers

This is something else we were unaware of. The lockers did have threaded inserts in them as per the pics on the website, but for some reason the latest batch don't. I have taken this up with the manufacturer and am currently awaiting a response. In the meantime we've suspended all sales of the fender locker

It wasn't our intention to mislead and I apologise for the hassle caused. You were unlucky in that you were the first person to have a locker from the latest batch and we have done all we can to address the situation.

Kev Baldwin
MUD-UK

PS. Nice truck!!

----------------------------------

Hi Kev, thank you for your response and nice words about my truck.

In response, firstly, I have not 'bad mouthed' Mud, just posted an honest feedback on your product - in your position I would welcome feedback, especially as it has led to bringing 'problems' to your attention that you were not aware of.

Secondly, the lady I conversed with by email did not at any stage offer to pay for the return carriage, I have kept the emails as a record, so perhaps a little further staff training is required.

Thirdly, although you have posted up this response acknowledging that the felt seal wasn't in place and that the rivnuts have been left out and I don't for one minute think that you deliberately set out to mislead, I also don't think this should be due to me being 'unlucky' and in all fairness, you've done nothing 'to address the situation' where I'm concerned .....

--------------------

There was no further communication with MUD / Kevin whatsoever and so I made my own felt seal and used self tappers to secure the floor and decided not to use MUD in future and to be fair would not have mentioned this again but felt that I was being forced to by Brendan's response to my post above.
Post #395664 4th Feb 2015 10:54am
AndyLloyd

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
JWL wrote:
Don't you think that the scroats allready know the different ways to get into a Defender, I for one would much prefer to see these type of posts so that all owners are aware of the vulnerable points on their motors.

Yes....very much agree, fore warned is fore armed so to speak....
Post #397601 10th Feb 2015 1:29pm
Baytown

Australia 2012 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Blenheim Silver
Go Beyond wrote:
Those lockers are also too big to go through most wing top chequer plate panels

Nothing a little Dremel persuasion can’t easily fix. That’s what always happens with parts from different suppliers and took me a whole two minutes to fix.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2012 110 LS3 6.2 V8 - 6 Speed Auto
Post #993223 19th May 2023 1:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12