↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Brakes could be better
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WendyTheTruck

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Brakes could be better
A difficult question to answer over the net but I'll have a go anyway...

The brakes on my truck (2003 Td5) could be a lot better and are certainly not as good as my previous one. They're OK under normal driving but if I have to stop with any urgency they are a little alarming. It's virtually impossible to lock the wheels up no matter how hard I push the pedal. Effectively I end up with a constant braking force but it's nowhere near as sharp as I'd like and I'm sure it didn't leave the factory this way.

I've had cars with spongey brakes before but this feels different somehow.

Any ideas as to the cause or similar experience? Perhaps they're all this way...

Thanks
Post #394637 31st Jan 2015 11:52pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Do you have to pump the pedal?
Has it been noticeably worse, since the snow and ice has been around and the ABS/TC has been kicking in?
Post #394639 31st Jan 2015 11:55pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Could be air in the system, the cheapest way to eliminate that is to bleed the brakes. If that doesn't improve things then start taking pads out and checking the callipers Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #394669 1st Feb 2015 4:18am
Kent_keith

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
One or more of your calliper Pistons are stuck therefore reducing your braking capacity, common problem, I was advised to not muck about and just buy new ones.

My guess Very Happy 2005 TD5 90 CSW XS
Post #394676 1st Feb 2015 7:34am
grumpy old git

United Kingdom 
Another vote for stuck piston. We had the same with our Tdi, refurbed the calipers with Br*tpart stainless pistons & AP seal kits. Spot on now Thumbs Up
Post #394695 1st Feb 2015 9:52am
munch90

England 
is servo working as it should ?

is vacuum pump giving good vacuum ?

if it was a caliper piston problem , normally pads will be worn odd and maybe a slight pull to one side when braking .
( unless you got equally seized pistons both sides )
Post #394702 1st Feb 2015 10:01am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
^ agreed my money is
On loss of vacuum. See my thread for both vac issues being sorted My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #394720 1st Feb 2015 10:50am
austinhealey55

2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
You should be able to lock up the brakes on your Defender. I had the same issue with mine, and it was due for new disks and pads, but after I did that and bled the lines, I still couldn't lock them up.

The brake servo/booster is often the culprit. Hairline cracks form in the inner areas near where the master cylinder and reservoir mount. Mine just looked like it had flaking paint, no actual cracks could be seen, but there were actually cracks on it and they were causing the paint to fall off. The tiny cracks mean you have no or little vacuum assist when you press the brake. It's pretty simple to change and after doing so I could easily lock them up.

Mine's a 2003 and had about 100,000 miles on it when it was replaced, which from what I've seen is pretty normal for it to go after about 8-10 years of service. Of course it could be other things (the vacuum pump or lines that attach to the servo), but I'd start there. I diagnosed mine by spraying some water around the areas where paint was missing while the engine was running and watching the water instantly disappear -- it was being sucked in by the vacuum. You may also have someone step on the brakes while the engine is running and do the same thing.

I found the attached guide to replacing it which helped. Not sure who to credit for this writeup. It's not a Td5 but the procedure is essentially the same. Good luck!
Post #394748 1st Feb 2015 11:41am
WendyTheTruck

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

@GREENI : I don't have to pump the pedal and it's been this way ever since I bought it about a year ago. No ABS/TC I'm afraid Sad

I replaced a stuck rear caliper not so long ago which didn't seem to make any difference, system was bled through then also.

Think I'll do a few tests on the vacuum system, there's an EGR delete kit on the truck also so I'll check the integrity of the blanking plug then too.

I'll update when I get to the bottom of the problem

Thanks again Thumbs Up
Post #394862 1st Feb 2015 6:05pm
austinhealey55

2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
If you pull the blanking plug off while the engine is running, you can tell if the vacuum pump is working -- should feel the vacuum with your finger over it. I use a vacuum cap with a mini hose clamp over it to secure it.

This is a good thread on another site that has a photo of the typical crack on the servo:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=90226
Post #394899 1st Feb 2015 7:52pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I'm watching this post as mine are not very good either, they've always been a bit rubbish and there's no way I could lock them up, even after replacing the discs and callipers with vented from a 110 (take offs) it only improved things a bit. Let us know how you go on AH55! Cheers
Post #394919 1st Feb 2015 8:31pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
My brakes are exactly as described in this post. I changed the pads all round and it didnt improve which led me to think servo.

So today I lifted the bonnet and checked the servo, sure enough there is a small hair line crack next to the mounting bolts, it looks like cracked paint but all the vacuum will be lost through it, giving a very solid (good) pedal but it wont lock the wheels.
Mines done 150000 miles so whenever the brake pedal is pressed the metal servo is flexed, its like bending a coathanger....eventually it work hardens and cracks/snaps. How many pedal presses/flexes in 150 000miles ?

So tomorrow I will be replacing the servo. Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #396567 6th Feb 2015 11:21pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
Sorted
So new servo fitted, brakes are brilliant, there is an imprint of the dogs face on the windscreen now Rolling with laughter

The servo cost £64 new, and took 20 mins to fit without disturbing brake pipes etc

I will post pics tomorrow of the cracks in the servo. Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #397027 8th Feb 2015 6:32pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
NickH - how much better are they now you replaced the servo and what make servo did you replace it with please? Is it now possible to lock the wheels?
I had mine MOT'd last week, at the garage where I go they do an 'assisted MOT' which means I stay with the vehicle and press the pedals, lights etc when prompted, while I was there we got chatting about Landy's - I mentioned the brakes could be better but asked him to see what he thought when he did the test drive, he said the brakes had passed but weren't the best, I'd be interested on your feedback.
Cheers,
Paul
Post #397082 8th Feb 2015 8:35pm
munch90

England 
Couple of things to try

engine off , pump pedal , it should get harder after vacuum used up + you may hear a slight sooshing noise as vacuum goes

now start engine with foot held on the pedal ( reasonable force , not hard as you can ) , the pedal should pull down bit further as vacuum builds
Post #397097 8th Feb 2015 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>